Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Confessions of a "Closet " Refrigerator Hoarder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Confessions of a "Closet " Refrigerator Hoarder Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  5:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Ok , it's time to fess up. I admit, I am a refrigerator hoarder. I don't mind telling ya'll this. I've got to get this off my chest.

I cleaned my fridge today. I cannot tell you when the last time I did this. There were things in there that I could not identify. Where they came from or who put them in there, I don't know.

I had a few big bags of pig fat from a few years ago in the freezer that I wanted to make lard with . I did one bag during the summer. I put 2 baggies of the pork skins in the fridge to give the dogs as treats. I must have forgotten and they got pushed to the back. One bag was green. The other was ok. I threw it out to the dogs. They are still alive at the moment.

I am ashamed it had gotten to this point. I'm not really sure how long it's been this way. There were 2 bags of green stuff in the veggie bin. I assume they used to be lettuce . It was slime in a bag. There were little shriveled up orange sticks. A few green pods of something. So apparently quite some time now by the looks of things in there. Oh, this is so hard to keep going, but I need to get this out in the open.

There were 3 jars of fermented cabbage. I think 3 small jars of the homemade soda I had tried way back when. They almost blew up when I finally got the lids off. The kitchen was smelling pretty bad at this point. But the pig bucket was getting full fast.

Oh, I almost forgot the stash of lunch meat bags that had one or two slices in them. I kept forgetting to put them in the trash cans when we'd go to the dump, so they kept piling up in the little handy dandy tray under the shelf. I did know what they were.

I seem to recall a topic somewhere on here about what was on your fridge door. But no one mentioned what was inside of it. Maybe there are some more hoarders out there. I may not be the only one. Is anyone bold enough to step forward?

So after many hours at this horrible task, I was finally able to see the light. Literally see the light. I did have one in there. Maybe that's why I never noticed how bad it needed to be cleaned out.

I feel much better now. Thanks for listening. It's good to fess up every now and then. Now I like to open the door and just look in there at the nice clean shelves and bins again.

Happy to be free of this guilt, Kris

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  5:36:44 PM  Show Profile
lol...what a brave woman you are...I don't like cleaning my fridge so it usually only happens when we are moving. of course, this year we have moved so often they get cleaned every couple months..lol. I wear a full apron and attack with scrub brush and hot soapy bucket.
blek not a fun job!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  10:12:16 PM  Show Profile
ok i must admit mine does not get cleaned that often, i tend to shut the door and forget about cleaning it. then i open it and think yuck that needs wiped down after i finish making whatever i got in the fridge for

lavendar girl
http://lavendarfieldsdreamer.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  06:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Yukky! Shame on you gals...:) ( oh no! What is that? & where is the sponge?....I just looked in mine,) Ya know, Ya open the darn thing at least 2-3 times a day don't ya? My Dh is usually really too good at Reminding me that we have "Stuff" in there, that were left overs... He hauls those tupperware containers, lunch meat, & fruit wrapped in cozy packets and tosses them on the counter along with 1/4 container of cottage cheese.. & says, " YOU eat this! or he will leave it out quietly under his breath, "guess I'll have this for Lunch" SO the worse my refrig looks most of the time is the slopped gooy stuff that gets spilled or drips off the containers..and a bit of moldy cheese... Yikes! I will say This is one reason I do not like to save leftovers, Unless they go directly to the freezer. Anyone want to Rent my "REMINDER husband?

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  08:19:22 AM  Show Profile

I try to throw out the baddest looking stuff at least once a week, but there is a alot of stuff in my refrig and there are always a few weird things that get stuck in the corners. Also my pantry is not in the best of shape. I can't resist that can of tomatoes or chicken broth on sale!
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  08:19:24 AM  Show Profile
~~ OK --

A few years ago I used to clean houses, and far & away, the Number 1 thing every client asked -- no, make that Pleaded with me to do...was clean out their 'fridge.

The worst ones seemed to be in houses where the mother either worked in a rest'raunt, or did some kind of kitchen work in the Navy. And we're not just talkin' about a few odd-ball baggies of green, slimy thangs. -- I'm talkin' the Entire Fridge was a green slimy mess. Not just one or two spots. And these women always said, "Well, it's been a couple of days since I cleaned it out." On average it took close to an hour to clean out these poor machines.

One client had 3 boys, so you can imagine what got thrown in that 'fridge!! My boss & I even asked the boys to "help out" which they said "Ok!" -- Ha! -- That was a waste of time!!

And right now mine isn't too bad. Some spills here & there, but only 1 alum. pan that has some stuffing in it. Tom sez it may be doing something inside the fridge, that pan of stuffing, but I think he's just scared to look under the foil...

Lauri
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  08:39:31 AM  Show Profile
I am pretty good at keeping up with the left overs. We call it musgo. I drag all the stuff out and we eat it for lunch or it musgo. My problem is that I don't "clean" the fridge. There is black stuff around the door rubber thing. I ever once in a while will wipe the shelf where the milk goes. But other than that, I don't clean. Back in the "olden days" when we had to defrost, the fridge got cleaned but not now.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  12:15:18 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, when my husband comes home he does mention how it looks. But doesn't do a thing about it. I think the guy would starve to death if he was here a day by himself. If i'm gone most of the day and get home, he's slumped in his recliner like he's malnourished and asks for food.

That is funny though, how your husband handles it. Makes you feel sorry for him.

I sure would not want to have to clean someone elses messes up. Mine's bad enuf.

And I like the musgo.

Yes, the pantry has to be put on the LIST. I'm having to shove stuff in there. That can't be a good thing.

Kris
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Confessions of a "Closet " Refrigerator Hoarder Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page