Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Tampons safe? Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  2:13:51 PM  Show Profile
After starting the birth control being safe thread I started to wonder about other things being/not being safe. What is your opinion about tampons? I know there are many women here that have the Diva Cup and those who use cloth pads but I'm just wondering about the tampon. I am 26 years old and never used a tampon until this month when my cycled returned six months after Joe's birth and how it was very heavy so I thought "I may as well use a tampon and see if that helps and have a pad as back up". Well, I know I inserted it right but it still felt uncomfortable and then I wondered "How can having bleached cotton inside your body for 4-7 days a month be good for us?" I don't think I will ever try a tampon again. I know several women who get UTI after their periods but don't ever think it is from their tampons. What is your opinion?
-Elizabeth

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  3:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Well, I do know there is studies that prove that chemicals and fibers found in a tampon can be absorbed by your body. I use them when my flow is extremely heavy. The discomfort when you first start using them in normal. Tampons can cause yeast infections as they allow more direct contact with the bacteria in your body and with it being a warm moist place that bacteria can multiply quickly. As far as the UTIs, I don't know about those.
Even though, I use them once in a while, I would say that if you are wanting to go the ultra safe way, tampons wouldn't be your best route.;)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  3:38:57 PM  Show Profile
I think it is unnatural. I dont use them anymore either(i'm the same age as you) I never thought they were very comfortable either. I have a cup like thing called "Instead" and I must not be using it right, but it's like uncomfortable, and nearly impossible to remove properly. I'll just stick to pads too!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  03:33:10 AM  Show Profile
I'm super active and don't have time for the inconveniance of pads....nevermind the constant uncomfortable reminder that I'm wearing one. Some days I seriously don't have the time to be jumping into a bathroom every 2-3 hours. Geese, some day's I don't even get a lunch!

And growing up, I swam every day -- even in college. I'll not be hindered by something like this.

I also share a barn with 6 men where the bathroom is pretty much front and center and you can hear EVERYTHING! It's hard enough to mask those terrible mood swings and a week's worth of crabbiness.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  06:43:29 AM  Show Profile
I am 50 and have ALWAYS used Tampax tampons. Never had any problems with them. I hated the pads. I just could not get past the thought of them. And I was always riding bikes, swimming, all the outdoor stuff and they were just best fot me.

Thank goodness I think I'm done with them now, though. It's been a few months.

Everybody has such different responses to the tampon. Some are smaller and it is uncomfortable. My 1st DD always had a hard time with them, but now she's fine. She has 3 kids. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But you have to do what's best fot you. I just liked the freedom of them. Sometimes I even forget they're in there.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  07:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am an avid Tampon user...I just add a panty liner and I am out the door!! I know TMI but it works for me. I HATE pads...can't stand them...maybe because when I was growing up, my Mom wouldn't buy me Tampons, so I had to were the ski size pads that looked like your nether regions were padded. ICK!! : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  08:10:24 AM  Show Profile
I too was a devoted Tampax user, as were my 3 girls. But then my eldest developed cervical cancer (and no, she did not have HPV), as did a 24 yr old friend of another daughter, as did two of my eldest daughter's co-workers. Scary!!
A little research showed that next to corn, cotton was the crop with the highest rate of pesticide application. Add to that the bleaching done, the rayon fiber that has been proven to cause toxic shock syndrome, and well that ended any further purchases.
The girls still use tampons, but now purchase organic only. They are a little more expensive, one dd figured approx. $8 per month, but so worth it IMO.
Di
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  08:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I am started using organic to. I figure in the long run, it is worth it.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  7:05:13 PM  Show Profile
If the tampon was uncomfortable, it was not inserted correctly. You shouls not be able to really feel the tampon, and if you do, it should be pushed in a little further. I have used tampons for the majority of my period years and am actually going to try the reusable cloth pads during my next cycle. I just purchased some and am excited for the change. I never had any apparent sideaffects to tampon use, but I want to cut my waste and help the environment. Plus, I have heard that the cloth pads are really comfortable.

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  03:22:21 AM  Show Profile
I alternate between Playtex and Tampax. There is a HUGE difference. Have also tried off brands and such and always come back to the Tampax. The Pearl version has been the best for me.

Tried the organic type once....it just didn't work. So I try and live fitfully in other areas of my life....exercise, grow and eat our own stuff, buy locally raised meats and use minimal petro chemicals on ,in and around my body.

As for the cancers and such. That's a puzzler.

Colon cancer runs in my family so I'm doing all that preventative that I can.

Men can also contract TSS, so it's bacterial related. Once again, hygene!
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  3:22:19 PM  Show Profile
me too kristin! since june! hallelujah! lol....I've always used pads and then tampons and pads on my real heavy couple of days each month...no probs with tampons at all.

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  10:23:55 PM  Show Profile
I just recently started to use the Diva Cup a couple of months ago. It has taken me a while to use it. But I think I have finally gotten the hang of it. Although I will use a pad on my slower days. It takes a day or two to figure out how it feels right and another on getting use to it. But it soon feels a lot more natural then tampons and or pads. I think at the end of the day everyone's body is different and responds differently to different methods. Find something that works for you and go with it!

Laura Marie #369
lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  06:17:44 AM  Show Profile
I use sea sponge "tampons" found here http://www.gladrags.com/jade-pearl-menstrual-sponges-p-62.html and cloth pads found here http://www.lunapads.com/ . I've been on this "system" for 6 years, have bought a few "sposies" for traveling and always come back to my cloth and sponge.
P~

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  08:08:13 AM  Show Profile
You two really like the diva cup? I was thinking of carrying it in the store, and it wasn't outrageous to get started. There is a mostly girls college across the street from me, and I was thinking there could be a few girls who would be willing to use it. If I end up carrying them, I will post a "sale" for any farmgirls who are interested. I know I am!
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  7:55:50 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of such a thing. Does it really work?

Farmgirl Sister #368

http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

beadbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Therese
Valencia California
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  4:33:42 PM  Show Profile
I know this is an old thread, but as I am about to make and sell cloth pads, I am searching the topics to get a sense of how you all feel about them.
Heather, I had the giant pads too! I was thrilled when my mom said I could try tampons. I had a heck of a time with them until years later when I lost (where did it go?!) my virginity. I have used sea sponges, and the only problem there is it can be a bit messy, like the Diva cup. If I was traveling, I'd use tampons, but at home, Diva and /or cloth pads. Once I started using the Diva, my yeast infections stopped, and they were chronic. (sorry, TMI) So, Terri, they do work, and they do take a bit of getting used to.

Therese
Farmgirl Sister#1217

If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud. ~Emile Zola
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  4:45:34 PM  Show Profile
What can you tell me about the cloth pads. I have never been able to use tampons. They are uncomfortable for me and (my personal opinion) it seems odd.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

beadbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Therese
Valencia California
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  5:05:11 PM  Show Profile

Elizabeth, tampons are odd! They certainly aren't for all women! I had a love/hate relationship with them!

The pads I make have cotton terry cloth sandwiched between cotton flannel. The day pads are like an envelope made from flannel and the pads slip inside. They have 'wings' that secure to underwear by snapping around the crotch. For very light days, one might just wear the pad holder as protection. The holder can be used with more that one pad inserted for heavier flows. I also make a night pad that is extended in the front and back to offer greater protection. Caring for the pads is pretty easy. I kept a nice looking smallish jar under the bathroom sink (to not gross out my DH too much!) and would soak the pads overnight after giving them a rinse. I have found that a plain white soap helps the best with cold water in removing most if not all the staining that can occur. Toss them in the wash and re-use. I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions you may have. Anyone is welcome to email me privately.

Therese
Farmgirl Sister #1217

If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud. ~Emile Zola
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Tampons safe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page