kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  08:07:03 AM  Show Profile
I just went out this morning and saw that my Brussels sprouts are ready to harvest. And because the leaves were so frozen, they just came right off! I have also dicovered that pigs like the leaves. So they got most of them. The rest are in a tote for the calves if they like them, too.

So I got maybe 3 gallons of sprouts from 2 flats. I lost about half to some kind of varment, so that's not much at all. But I also grew some this summer.

I still have a row of cabbage and some turnips. If anyone close by likes turnips, come on over. I do not like them. I guess I could put some in the freezer for my hubby and mom. Then take some to church Sunday.

So now I have to wash all those sprouts and get them in the freezer.

Is anyone else still getting garden stuff?

Kris

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  08:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Wow! That's so hard to imagine...fresh veggies from the garden in December. The only thing I'm harvesting from here is snow and ice. We have a heat wave today...in the 30's but it's going back to single digits. Lucky you being able to have your hands in dirt yet!
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  08:32:21 AM  Show Profile
Harvest for me was months ago. Today it is snowing and a blowing. I am envious, I wish I had some fresh Brussels Sprouts. When my kids were small I even got them to eat them. I tricked them in to thinking that they were little cabbage heads. Now that they are grown they wouldn't even look at them. It's their loss but more for me and my husband. Enjoy.

Madelynne

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  08:37:47 AM  Show Profile
I was up to my ankels in mud, though. Not good for the soil. I also had picked all the green tomatoes I could a few months ago and we've been eating those while they ripen. Oh so good now to have ripe homegrown tomatoes in Dec, too!

I hope I have enuf cabbage to do sourcraut. I borrowed a friends old crock to make it in.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  11:15:20 AM  Show Profile
Harvest here was over quite a while ago. However, we just finished off the tomatoes and I have one onion in the fridge and a bucket of apples in the celler. Thats OK, I am already making out my order from the seed catalogs. We plant potatoes first, March 17. Followed the next week by onions. My greenhouse is blowing away, (as we speek) (or type) so I don't know if I'll get my seeds started when they should. We start our pepper seeds in Feb.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  4:46:22 PM  Show Profile
I just got 7 qt. bags full of the Brussel sprouts. Lots of work for not much. But I had planted some back in the spring and got several bags then. But I love the fall ones. There was not a single bug or bite mark on any of them.

I also pulled up the rest of the little carrots that were still growing. I got a big handful!

I hope you don't lose your greenhouse, Belle. Sounds pretty bad up there.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  9:16:24 PM  Show Profile
Thats a shame that you lost so many, but I can see how it wouldnt be a loveloss seeing as how you dont like them. Brussell sprouts sounds yummy to me!! lol But hubby cant stand them. all the more for me I say!!

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Harvest Time Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page