Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Out of date Rabies vaccinations (a year over)...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Out of date Rabies vaccinations (a year over)... Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  12:17:11 PM  Show Profile
Our dog has tangled with a raccoon in the woods (he was sitting by the path in the woods, and she ran at him and grabbed him up). My husband made her drop it, and it loped off, but not much. Later, for whatever reason , my husband chose to walk them back through the same spot and you guessed it, she ran ahead and grabbed up the raccoon again, and took it to the creek beneath our house, where he caught up with her and made her drop it again. Now, why the raccoon did'nt bother to fight is something that worries me...

I called our vet who said she was due for her rabies in January. I don't know if I knew that, or just forgot, or missed the little card in the mail they send out...we have 4 dogs, all with different shot schedules, so I probably just sketched on that. The vet also said they RARELY see rabies, but are more worried about distemper among racoons. She feels confident that distemper isn't a big deal because they are all current on their 7 in 1 vaccinations (which include distemper).

But, she suggested we keep the dogs separate and observe her for 10 days and to look out for extreme behavior. So, I asked him to do so (after he called me here at work to "dump" this on me to worry about) and he said he was running late for work, and didn't have time to worry about it. And then I got mad and told him that this was something he NEEDED to pay attention to, and he hung up on me

Anyone else have experience with a situation like this? I am frustrated with myself because I thought her three year didn't expire until this year (we always do shots in January for her) but I don't want to be totally consumed by worry, either.

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  12:53:11 PM  Show Profile
I was reading online that the dogs system builds up an immunity to the viruses with only the first vaccine, and that the so called booster shots aren't even necessary because the killed virus is still in their system. They said it was a get rich quick for the vets' offices.

Girl, you are not the only one going through this kinda thang...My husband decided he wanted a dog, so he got a Husky, something he had "always wanted". Well, no that Max is 8months old, he needs lots of attention and excercise and more excercise, and attention so that he develops emotionally and physically. Well, we have to leave him home in the house all day from the time I leave at 10am until I get home at 730pm. I'm stuck walking the dog, cleaning up his messes, picking up all the crap he spreads out on the floor, and I never wanted a darn dog to add to my two horses and 3 cats. I especially didn't want an energetic powerhouse of a huskey...
So I tried to talk to him about getting home a litle earlier so he can take care of the dog, and he hung up on me too...:(

Anywho, he also needs to be neutered, and I want it done sooner than later so as to prevent him from starting to wander in search of a female, and DH says he can't do that to him, he's too young, and it's cruel. I said it's more cruel that you are not being responsible because if he wanders and gets hit by a car, that's more cruel.
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  1:03:05 PM  Show Profile
Now, I'm no expert on this, but a vet once told me that the vaccination for rabbies does not actually prevent the animal from GETTING rabbies. Instead, it prevents the animal from SPREADING rabbies in the event he/she does come in contact with it. So, it doesn't really protect your dog, but it does your community.
Anybody KNOW if that is so?
Good luck. Keep us posted!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  1:13:44 PM  Show Profile
That's so interesting (Country Lawyer)...I'd not heard that. But, there's lots that I don't know!

Christine, it can be frustrating for sure, and from having a husky from an 8 week old pup to a 14 year old geriatric dog, I can tell you they are as loving as they are vexing. There were as many times as I could have killed that dog as I could have hugged her! They really do need a LOT of attention, and I'm sorry that you seem to be the one who has to take care, when you've got so many other things to care for (horses are a big--but fun--job). And, girl, I'm telling you right now--husky's run regardless of alteration, but if you snip that little bugger right now, it can curb a lot of it. They have SUCH natural tendencies, it's amazing. Our Lily was VERY closely related in behavior to her wolf relations. Take him to get him neutered yourself, if that's the ONLY thing you do with him :)

Apparently the "quarantine" thing is old school now...they ask you to separate them, so after the 15 minute rangor with the spouse over how little time he had to take care of anything, when he COULD have been putting up her crate, he called back to tell me that he'd put it up :). I called back the vet because as my records show, we are due for our 3 year in January (2009). Apparently, they were only given 1 year vaccines (all of them) because you have to specifically REQUEST the 3 year. Funny, at my old vet (rest his soul), the standard procedure was the 1 year vaccine combined with the first and second round boosters, and then a 3 year rabies after that because of the immunity. It's a state law, and if she doesn't have rabies (after our 10 day review) then she goes. But this time, I'll make sure I REQUEST the 3 year, instead of assuming. My fault.
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  1:25:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, I don't mind him running becuase we have to room for him, I just dont want him going and looking for a cute chick, ya know? I am plotting to take and get him neutered. I love him to death and he is sooo smart and such a smart alec! If I'm eating and tell him to lie down, he does, but he growl-bark-whines at me, like he's back talking his mother.
To top it all off, I always said I didnt want a big dog on the furniture, so my husband gets him to lay down on the couch with him...
I think it's the husband, not the dog driving me crazy!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  1:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Our Lil did that backtalk thing, too! It's such their way. I would come in from the office, and if I didn't pay attention to her ASAP, look at the mail, or whatever, she would pounce down in play bow and Owwooo woo grrr grr. Always made me laugh. She was so in tune with me--miss that girl.

Good luck to you and get a really good brush for when he blows his coat!
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  1:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Feb. violet, Well actually the 3 year and the 1 year are the same shot. no different. the only difference is when they right it down on the paperwork. After a puppy has it first rabies shot at 4-5 months of age then the next one the next year is a booster shot which is then a three year one. but the shot has the same amount of stuff in it. I would not worry about your dog getting rabies if it has gotten the puppy one and then boosters after that. I would seperate it just to be sure but I would not worry about it. I would think if the raccoon had rabies it would have attacked your dog not the other way around. How old is your dog and how many rabies shots has it had? The reason I know this is once at my vets I had my dog get his rabies and when I went out to the receptionist I said oh I forgot to give the vet the certificate from the last vet showing he already had his one year and she said oh ok then this one was his 3 year one and I said it was suppose to be and she said oh there no differnt I will just right in here it was his 3 year one. now this is the regulations for michigan too. other states require that your dog get a rabies shots once a year and I have no idea WHY except to keep the vets making money. There are states that are all up in arms because they are one of the states that have mandated once a year boosters and people have found out that other states don't do it that way. I also believe it has something to do with if your state has had rabies show up more in the past before too. you can google it and find out a lot of stuff about it that way.
Christine,
you really need to get your dog neutered soon. if you get your dog neutered before six months of age it is less likely to start to mark his territory which you do not want him to start. Since he has passed that time I would get him in as soon as possible , it is best for him and you. Tell your husband to quit being a "man" hehehehehe cause basically the dog will live a longer life cause it will stop a lot of cancers from growing cause he won't have any male hormones in him and like you said it will stop him from wanting to wander and it will also help him not to mark. which will make you a lot happier with the dog so he will be happier too. hehehehehehe I breed dachshunds and unless I am using them for breeding I get my males neutered at 5 months. they are all quite happy dogs and really don't know any different cause their male hormones haven't even kicked in yet. so make the appointment and get it done. your husband probably won't even notice!!!! hehehehehehehe The dog bounces back so fast anymore that he practically won't be able to notice the one day he would be a little quietier!!! hehehehehehe That would be a nice day for you!!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  1:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Isn't that funny....It makes me want to laugh at him, but I have to keep my straight mommy face on!
He's been shedding a bit, but I try to brush him every nite abit, and I always get a huge fluff ball when I'm done. He wants to eat it, so I might make him a pillow out of himself! LOL
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  4:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I've had to deal with past due rabies shots and a dog who got around a strange acting raccoon. First of all, the 10 day quarantine is going to do nothing because it can take 1-3 months for rabies to show up in an animal after being exposed. They only quarantine animals once they start to show symptoms (such as if a dog bites a child they will quarantine it for ten days and if it isn't dead by that time it probably doesn't have rabies). But it can take months for the symptoms to actually appear as the virus travels up to the brain.
But, if your dog has had several rabies shots before she should be okay, even if it expired back in January as their body does build up an immunity. I would consider taking your dog in to get a booster just to add a little more to her system right now though. The raccoon that our dog got ahold of that was acting strangely did not have rabies (we killed it and had it tested) so the vets figured it was probably sick from distemper.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  4:29:30 PM  Show Profile
After reading your second post I think you are saying that she was just scheduled for her shot one year after receiving her last? After her first puppy shot she should have received a one year, and then after that it is every three years. I'm almost positive the one they receive every three years is the same as the one year shot so if she received a shot a year ago she should be protected...but still may want to consider any extra booster shot.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  10:55:15 PM  Show Profile
Hehee, Ms. Violet, you may have forget someone worked as a tech :) Everyone's advice is really good. Observe your doggie for 10-14 days. Any abnormal behavior, swelling of the lymph glands, esp around the neck (which is what causes the supposed "aversion to water"..it's really that they CAN'T drink), neurological problems...call the vet IMMEDIATELY, but the 3 year shot should cover it.

Bev is right about the neutering. Funny how the men in this situation wanna put all the doggie concerns on the back burner, though I couldn't blame a guy for NOT wanting to neuter their animals..somehow I secretly feel they relate!! :D

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  11:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Bev, the breeder told us to wait until after one year so as not to stunt his growth, but the vet said anytime after 6 months. He's already 65 pounds! I am not worried about his size, he's big enough!
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  8:13:44 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard this stunting their growth stuff. I always get it done at 5 months to stop the marking instinct and have had no problems and my vet does it then too, so I don't know why the breeder would say that??? I am really wondering about that.. hummmmm That is weird for the breeder to say that. My little maverick is going in a monday and he will be 6 months at the end of december and he is only 5 pounds and he is full grown. hehehehehehehe He is my big protector!!!! hehehehehehehehe

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  9:14:24 PM  Show Profile
Yep! Im going to go with Zan on this one as my pup just got off quarantine because he bit someone and his rabies were a year overdue. He is acutally still in need of them, but it will come when finances are better. Anyways, the guy who got bit healed fine and animal control had to come out and he said that all you could was watch him for 10 days.
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  06:35:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm just wondering why the vet is recommending quarantine for just 10 days when the dog was just possibly exposed to the virus? Rabies can take anywhere from a few weeks to 6 months or so to travel to the brain. Only once symptoms appear does the virus kill within a few days, that is why places quarantine an animal for ten days when they have doubts about whether an animal has rabies. If a dog bites someone and they think "Does it have rabies?" they will quarantine it and if it is not dead by day ten they know it doesn't have the virus. But that is only once a dog is acting stange. It can take months for a dog, or any other animal, to start showing symptoms. That is why when a pet owner is moving overseas to a country that doesn't have the rabies virus a pet must be quarantined for six months to a year before being able to move with it's owner.
I'm not trying to scare you and make you wait six months before you can breathe a sigh of relief that your pet doesn't have rabies, as I'm pretty sure he is safe if he has had the shot before...even if he was past due a bit. I'm just wondering why the vet doesn't know any better. When our dog had gotten around the raccoon and we weren't sure if it had rabies the vet explained all this to me.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  06:27:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks all! I was out of town most of the weekend and back to work, now, reading your responses. Some answers to questions...

She is 5 years old--we got her at 6 months of age, and she has had 3 rabies vaccinations, the last was (as I mistakenly thought) supposed to be a 3 year, though it appears to have been a 1 year. I'm with Bev in that I think states require vaccinations every year a bit too much--our old vet always gave the 3 year, without any sortof "suggestion" on my part. And, I don't recall it costing any more.

Zan--thanks for the symptom check. I knew there was something about water, but couldn't remember if it was drinking more, or an aversion. She is currently in her crate in the living room (which she loves, so that's good) and the other 3 dogs and cats are in the kitchen. We do "split shifts" so she can get out and stretch her legs and run around in the yard with my husband watching her. She is eating, she is drinking, all normal thus far. She is frustrated with being in the crate while we're in the room--that makes her a bit cranky and whiny, but the vet said to look out for agressive behavior. She's normally a "grunter" and a "groaner" so she's always making noises.

Basically, she's in jail until the 23rd, and then we're done with it. I was trying to also remember what we did at the rural shelter I worked at. State law requires 10 days quarantine after dog bite if the party cannot prove current vaccinations for rabies. Now, she didn't bite anybody but a raccoon...and he didn't fight back. Another forum member mentioned that young racoons don't discern day and night very well, and that might be the reason the little thing did not fight back. I quizzed my husband to death over the weekend because well...I'm mad at him too, and he described the coon as being smaller, like our petite cat. But...still..10 days, I suppose. Then they will all go and get their shots--and maybe I can actually SEE what they write on the slip, Bev. If a 3 year and a 1 year are the same things, then why call them something different? :)
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  09:12:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
they call them something different because they have to have that first puppy one and then the first booster has to be a year later and that one starts the 3 year. So they write the first one down as a one year so as to send out reminders and such to get that second one a year later. That way it is boosting the first puppy shot. But they are the same thing ask your vet and see what they say. AS long as they have had that first puppy one and then one a year later then all others can be written down as a three year and reminders go out as such. It is just the law here in michigan. It is how they have to keep the records and remind you to get the shot but the shots give all the same because it is not by weight because it goes into the immune system. so, a little tiny dog gets the same amount as a big dog. I don't do my own rabies vaccines but I do give my own regular vaccines and they come premeasured in a little bottle that you mix with another vial of saline to make it liquid to give the shot and no matter what the dog weighs they each are given the same shot. There again it is to get the immune system to build up antibodies so they all get the same amount does not go by weight either. Here again in michigan they do these vaccines every year and I really do not think that is necessary either but it sure bring in a lot of money to the vets. First your office call and then for the shot. I can get mine for about I think $3.00 a shot and our vet same shot and manufacturer charges $16 for that shot. Now he has over head and staff and what not to pay but it is very easy to do and you can buy them through catalogs and feed stores. Tractor supply carries them and they come with the needle and syringe so they run a bit more like $4. something but they are not the same manufacturer as the vet uses. I order mine through drs foster and smith and because I own so many dogs I buy them by the 25 pack. at a feed store here by me you can buy rabies vaccines too but I have the vet do it just so I have the piece of paper to prove they have their shots just in case. I have very gentle dogs but ya just never know. Anything with teeth can bite!!!! hehehehehehehe My vet will tell me anything I want to know but some vets won't so it will be interesting to see what your vet says and maybe different states are different. Who knows. Keep us updated...I am curious now!!??

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  09:23:58 AM  Show Profile
We also do our own 7 in 1 vaccines. We get ours from the local feed store, at about $4.00 a pop. This year, we also bought one for the dog next door because we knew he'd never been vaccinated, and was coming into our yard frequently. The family that has him are just plain idiots--so whatever animal they've had there for any amount of time, I vaccinate, or steal for a day and have them altered, then return them overnite. Takes care of the animal, makes me feel better and it's fun to screw with the goofballs :)

We can give our own rabies, but this is the funny part--each county has individual dog licenses that vary in cost. By county law, you are required to have an updated license on all dogs--how do you come by that license you ask? By providing proof of rabies and vaccinations. How do you get proof of your vaccines? You have to go to a veterinarian and pay out the yin yang. I don't advocate NOT going to my vet for checkups--we do that but we do give our own innoculations. With 4 dogs and 3 cats, it's just simpler, and certainly more cost effective. But, according to STATE law, I can give a rabies vaccine to my crew, but I don't have proof of it....nice little bit of red tape for ya?!

Our dogs are all very dear, and sweet, but you're right, Bev, anything with a mouthful of teeth can bite when provoked, even kids! I think she's fine, but we'll keep her in the pokey to make sure.

I will certainly keep you posted--hopefully there will be a little extra cashola on hand after the holiday for a visit to the vet. I am going to ask all my questions!!!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  10:01:49 AM  Show Profile
Good luck! I'm similarly regretting the failure to keep up my cat's vaccinations, although I've been much more irresponsible than you (see my post about the stray kitty).
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  10:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi again, I totally agree with you on everything you said and I like to screw with goofballs too!!! hehehehehehe anywho, our licenses that we get from our different cities or townships here only require to show the rabies vaccine papers. so I can do my own regular vaccines. The rabies vaccines that are sold at that feed store are in amish county so I am sure they give there own. They don't deal with the license stuff. Our area where we live does not have an animal control officer so I refuse to get licenses for my dog. Where is the money going ??? We are not really a city or a township or anything so who knows where they stash the money??? and oh yea what I intended to talk about back to that. I got way laid!!! anyway. I have a 13 and half year old dog that when she was 2 was diagnosed with ITP which is a Auto Immune problem where the platlets eat each other and the dog or human starts to bleed out because they have no clotting agents to stop the blood from bleeding out. anyway she was put on predinsone which is a immune suppresant and she got her rabies when it was necessary but has never had another regular vaccine because we and the vet we saw at the time said he could not say whether giving her those would bring on the problem again. So her immune system was depressed and no vaccines except the ones she had had when she was a puppy and the booster . She has never had another problem with any virus' or been sick in anyway. She has been in remission for several years and not on any meds at all. She has been the healthiest dog we have ever had . when the other dogs got the virus that was going around the whole town all our dogs got it except her. so it was not the vaccines. and it was just a virus that the vaccines would not have helped anyway. We humans don't get boosters of vaccines as often as dogs do Why?? I guess that is my question. The only answer I can think of is to keep vets in business. Now I just think very highly of the vet I go to right now but money is tight and it goes as far in my pocket as in his!!! hehehehehehehehe I will stop babbling now!!!! hehehehehe

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  10:11:08 AM  Show Profile
I don't think anyone mentioned here just HOW rabies is transmitted. According to the CDC, rabies comes from the SALIVA of infected animals. Supposedly it can't be contracted from any other bodily fluids (ie: blood, urine etc..) of an infected animal-- which seems strange to me, but that's what the "experts" say.

I'm not a believer in yearly vaccines either-- and I question why animals need so many shots over their lifetime as well, if the vaccines are meant to BUILD the antibodies in the animals system-- doesn't that mean that those first few shots should have done a LONG TERM job of it? I mean, we don't give our CHILDREN shots every single year of their lives Do we? (or every 3-5yrs as is the case with the rabies vaccine).

Vet medicine has become SO EXPENSIVE because the Drug companies have jumped on the "pet bandwagon" and they KNOW that sounding the "Alarm" and telling people who dearly LOVE their pets (and don't we ALL?) that if their pets DON'T get these shots every year "They'll get VERY sick and DIE!!!" How quickly will people plunk down the cash? The thing is, we pet owners need to keep OURSELVES informed of the drugs and various "therapy's" being pushed on our pets and exactly WHO it is doing the pushing! Now, I'm not saying animals should NEVER receive medications or whatever therapy they might need-- that's just plain silly, but a lot of what we are TOLD we must do for our pets (especailly the COSTYLY stuff) is often not necessary.

Thank goodness I have an "Old School" Vet! (he's 73!!) who's as honest as the day is long about this stuff. Even if he LOSES money, he's not afraid to say that pets these days are WAY over medicated (especially in the "routine" vaccination department) and he's only too happy to give advice on alternative treatments for pets that are not "man made" to help keep them healthy!! I just love my vet. He's a GREAT guy! And I can tell you, he really LOVES his job!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  12:04:02 PM  Show Profile
I had actually just read that, Tracy, about the "how" of transmission. Now, in asking my husband to describe a step by step, blow by blow account, I get very little information, because our Shepherd, all 115 lb of long range motion of her, ran quite a distance ahead of him before he figured out what she was doing. He said that she made one great pounce into the brushy area, grabbe the coon quickly, then dropped it on command. Now, on the pass back through, she obviously remembered where the coon had been, ran to see it and low and behold the d*#$#% thing was still there, and she decided to pick it up and run all the way back to the house with it, about a quarter of a mile. He caught up with her, and said that the animal appeared dead, that there was blood coming from it's mouth, but then it did struggle away. So...the answer is...I dunno. I don't know if she got fluids in HER mouth, or if she was bit at all. Doesn't appear so on the latter. She is still in the pokey, and she is NOT very happy about it.

Us either.

I sure miss my common sense vet, too, Tracy. Doc Altemeuhle was the best, and if he were still alive, I'm sure he would tell me that I was the one acting rabid :)
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  9:46:57 PM  Show Profile
We had 26 dead bats on the property late this Summer. I called Animal control out and had them pick them all up for testing. I was worried about having to lock up all my critters too, and when the AC guy got a look at the NUMBER of animals I have, he said "well, if we HAVE to quarantine them, it will have to be here. You have too many of them to take in." Turns out not a single bat had the dread disease-- which he and I had already agreed didn't seem likely (we both thought it was from the Mosquito spraying that had been done recently in my area)

--- Besides, according to my research a RABID bat will still be alive but moving rather sluggishly and possibly displaying some signs of aggression. (Did you know PIGS can even get rabies? SCARY! Just thought I'd add that little sideline!)

I don't think you're being crazy or overreacting at all. It's a scary thing to have happen to a pet. Been there, done that (a couple of times actually!) and I can sympathize. That's what happens when you live in the country. Hope your puppy gets sprung from the pokey soon!! ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Out of date Rabies vaccinations (a year over)... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page