Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Trying not to worry about maternity leave...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Trying not to worry about maternity leave... Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  10:01:48 AM  Show Profile
I work in a small firm, and they really don't have a maternity leave policy...I will use my vacation (2 weeks, even though I've worked here for 9 years) and any sick time, which totals just under a month. Any other time that I wish to take is unpaid. That really sort of bites, or am I wrong?

My husband is a server, and while his income is pretty steady, I think I'd worry myself to death if I had to rely on it for any more than a week's time.

His job will come in handy though, in that we won't have much need for daycare, if any. He works mostly evenings, and can be home with the little one if need be.

I am getting up the courage to discuss working 32 hours a week here, and one day at home (either Friday or Monday) so that I can still carry our benefits (what crappy ones they are--a $4,000 deductible) and still be able to see our daughter grow up a bit.

Don't get me wrong--we are very lucky to have such supportive families that live nearby, and wouldn't hesitate to help us if the need arose, but we're both adults and don't want to impose that on them...I could manage the paycut of $100 a day or so, but I still would like other's opinions..

For those of you working moms--how did you manage? What did you do or change at your job to raise your children?

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  7:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it bites. Growing and raising children is not seen as important here in the good ole USA. If your company has over 12 or 50 employees (I forget), FMLA may be another thing to look at. Yup, you'll need to use up your vacation and sick time. And if you get sick after you go back to work, well, you probably won't get paid at all for the days. Btdt.

I only went back to work when my oldest was 3-5.5mo. After that I discovered I couldn't do it. I could be a good mom, good wife or good employee, but only two at a time. Trying to do all 3 ended up with me performing mediocre at all of it. Some women can juggle it all, and I am apparently not one of them. Luckily my hubby had a decent job with room to grow and with raises so I became a sahm.

But. Definitely ask about a flexible schedule. The working from home thing may be a little trickier depending on your employer though. I know it wasn't a viable option for my old job.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  05:43:39 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya, Lanna. You have such good insight. Since this is our first child, and I'm 35, I don't know how I'll be yet, returning to work. I'm hoping that since my husband will be home with her most of the days, as opposed to daycare (i.e strangers), I might feel a little more comforted. At least I can call and check in on them, and keep a nice dialogue.

I work as a paralegal, so if all my work is done in the 32 hours, I really don't see that it would be very difficult to do a letter over the phone, fax something or email documents on the other day. I can even do dictation at my house. I am certainly willing to ask...

I was actually thinking this am about how I would approach my boss, who is really very nice, and family oriented himself, with two adopted children. I'd like to state that we really haven't been able TO put by any extra cash (a combination of the economy, but also the medical plan we have. EVERYTHING is out of pocket until your reach that $4k deductible). Now, I'm healthy, but we've had to pay the delivery up front ($2400.00) and I fell in the autumn and fractured my ankle at a friend's home, and that bill has just come in and it's also $2400...so there really IS no money to put by for me to stay home longer than a month.

Our pregancy was a happy accident--we were told that it might be impossible (it wasn't) and so we weren't exactly prepared with the house repairs and things like that. Things WE can live with, but when a little one comes along, you'd like to be remedied :)

Well, I will get my ducks in a row and talk with my boss about it. He's very understanding, and I've been a loyal employee for 9 years. I know in this era it doesn't count for much, but it should count for something.
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  12:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Fair warning though - that first week back at work after being at home with your babe for a bit will be pretty brutal. More so on you than the babe. *sigh*

And honestly? Before I had kids, I thought working from home would be a breeze. Well, uh, after having kids, I completely understand why my old job was so against it. Unless your husband's home when you're doing the work thing, you won't get near as much done as you think you will. Of course maybe you're superwoman and will prove me wrong, you never know.
My day is mostly nursing the little one, feeding the bigger two, a giant parade of diapers (I have two in diapers), etc. The stuff I get done around the house tends to mostly happen between 9pm-2am when they're asleep.

Can I be nosy and ask whether you're planning on a hospital/birth center/homebirth? :)

And as for the house repairs. Well, as long as you don't have holes in the floor or walls or 100+yo electrical wiring, I think you'd be fine. My house has 30yo shag carpeting, stairs, linoleum over concrete, etc. We call it "immune boosting" and "character building."

If I remember right from your other thread, are you planning to pump and breastfeed to some degree as well? That may be another tidbit to bring up to the boss so you can plan a place to pump. Because while it can become second nature (my 5yo and 2.5yo boys love watching me pump for their little sister, it's kind of amusing), having someone walk in on you topless hooked up to the pump is a bit unnerving.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys

Edited by - Lanna on Dec 13 2008 01:33:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  01:32:31 AM  Show Profile
I know it was a friends house that you broke your ankels at so you might not want to do this but they should be able to get their home owners to pay for your medical bills that you incured since the accident happened there. That might help have a little back in the bank. Just a thought.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Trying not to worry about maternity leave... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page