ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  12:20:11 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes generics are fine, and sometimes they're so gross they're not even worth buying. Trial and error is key, but it stinks to have to waste the money on a product you don't like because it wasn't up to the level you expect.

I know we farmgirls like to be frugal, so I thought it might be a good idea here to talk about specific store brand generics you like for the local stores in your region, so that other frugal farm girls can pick up on these good generics and save some grocery money.

I live in the Providence, RI area, recently relocated from Chicago. My favorite store is PriceRite, which has locations all over the Northeast. I've found that their generics are exceptionally good and dirt cheap to boot. PriceRite mayonnaise is $1.69 a jar and tastes indistinguishable from Hellman's. I'm never buying anything else ever in my life. Also, their chocolate chips are a paltry $1.29 a bag and are at least as good as Nestle. I buy their generic coffee for my FIL and he says it's good. Other things that are typically good as generics like cooking spray, vegetable oil, and canned tomato products are also good there.

I occasionally shop at Whole Foods for certain products that are either cheaper than at regular stores or are free of ingredients that I'm trying to cut out of my diet like trans fat and HFCS. I'm very happy with the quality of Whole Foods natural peanut butter, tofu, and soy milk, and I've found the prices on their generics for these items to be roughly half of what you'd pay for name-brand equivalents at a regular supermarket. I've also bought HFCS free whole-berry cranberry sauce from a can there and was happy with the results.

Also, I know a lot of farmgirls don't like to drink diet soft drinks, but I'm a huge fan of the Albertson's chain's generic soft drinks, particularly the diet cream soda. Safeway soft drinks are, in my experience, hit and miss, mostly miss.

So what are your favorite generics? What do you consider a "good" generic no matter where you are? (as I said, cooking oils and canned tomatoes are my favorites) What do you consider a "good" generic from particular stores?

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  7:59:01 PM  Show Profile
I've found Target brand toilet paper is exactly the same as Quilted northern, and Target paper towels are the same as Brawny. Food-wise, generics under Central Market brand at HEB Market stores are very good - water crackers, cereal, canned black beans are the ones I buy regularly.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  9:36:59 PM  Show Profile
I love Target's "market pantry" whole wheat pasta, and their unbleached flour. It is cheap and very good quality. However, I found their mild cheddar cheese very oily.
I have since found a local source that is actually cheaper, in addition to it tastes so much better.

Some of their Archer Farms brand is very good too- the organic medium salsa has a great kick to it, and their kettle cooked potato chips are good. (most flavors anyways.)
The yougurt has a lot of flavors to choose from, and there is no HFCS in it either! This brand also carries organic free range eggs that are good too. Nicely sized, and lovely colored yolks.
Finally, when my budget allows, I buy their organic butter-I swear I can taste the difference.

We also have a local grocer called Cub. I don't buy much there as I think Super Target is a lot cheaper. I will buy their store brand milk. I believe it is locally sourced and there is not hormones or anti-biotics in it.
I used to buy milk that was from a small company that claimed the same things, but it was so expensive, and I'd forget the glass bottle returns half the time. It sure was yummy though.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Dec 10 2008 9:46:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  05:26:57 AM  Show Profile
I, too, like Target's generic brands. Their blue corn chips are the only ones my husband can eat because they are not laden with oils. Walmart's generics are just that, generic tasting. I really like the Whole Foods 365 brand stuff. I primarily shop at Trader Joe's which has all of their own brands and they are cheaper than Whole Foods but still natural. Hope that helps!

Blessings!
~Farrah

http://oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  07:29:25 AM  Show Profile
We only have one grocery store and the store brand is Best Choice. I have found that most of their stuff is good. When we go to Walmart Super Center, (the next town over) I buy some of their stuff. Walmart is so much cheaper on name brand that I feel like we are getting a bargin. Hellmans mayo was $5.19 a qt at our grocery store, $2.98 at Walmart. Jar of yeast $7.29 compared to about $4. Ole Ron's favorite cheese is over $2 pound cheaper at Walmart. It really pays us to drive the extra miles.

KJD, you must live in Texas. My very favorite store is Central Market. Our nearest is 300 miles away. (Ft Worth) We load up anytime we are down that way. And I really envy you farmgals that get to shop at Trader Joes and Whole Foods. We only get to do that when we are on vacation. We don't buy trinkets when we travel, just food. Oh, and plants.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  1:08:43 PM  Show Profile
We have Kroger...and Target. That's where I buy most, if not all my groceries. I go to Aldi's at times, too, but they're hours are difficult for me to make with work.

We love Triscuits, but we go through them so quickly, so I tried the "Weavers" from Kroger and they are equally good. I also buy Target papertowels, and I buy Kroger store brand frozen veggies and canned veggies if needed. I haven't found a store brand coffee that I love, though we don't drink it everyday, just on weekends, so I do splurge on coffee :)

I also buy Kroger shredded cheese. Kroger has recently introduced this FV generic brand, but I'm so turned off by the labelling that I can't seem to buy it.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  3:18:06 PM  Show Profile
We usually get our paper towels at BJ's (wholesale club similar to Costco) and they're good, esp. since my picky FIL likes the select-a-size ones and they have a generic that has them in that size, so I buy those to keep him happy. I'll have to try Target generic toilet paper, though, and maybe the blue corn chips, too. I keep kosher, so I'll have to check. As I recall, a lot of Target's generics are not kosher. I do recall, however, that Target carries Kashi TLC prodcuts for like half the price of regular supermarkets.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  6:50:14 PM  Show Profile
Bellepepper - Yes, live in SE TEXAS!! We have Central Market and Whole Foods and as someone mentioned, WF 365 brand is good and also well-priced. My husband and I experienced Trader Joes for the first time a couple of years ago on a trip to San Francisco and Napa. We loved that, too. When we visit the inlaws in Austin, we go to their fantastic Whole Foods - that is a vacation destination!
I am all about food...
Go to Top of Page

scurran
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Sara
St. Louis Missouri
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  07:22:03 AM  Show Profile
Our local grocery store chain, Schnucks, carries their own brand of natural and organic foods called Full Circle. They have organic cereal for $2 a box and organic milk for $5 a gallon which is WAY cheaper than anywhere else! They also have natural dish soaps, organic butter, and a ton of other items! And it's close to home. I also buy a lot at Trader Joe's. Can't beat the price of 100% recycled toilet paper! It is the cheapest by far of ANYWHERE ELSE! I've also found that Whole Foods 365 brand is much cheaper for organic products than the same regular/non-organic brand name product. But Trader Joe's and Whole Foods require a bit of a drive.

My mom lives in Northern Michigan and swears by Mejer. They have great Mejer brand organic products and they also do a lot for the community. They have built miles and miles of walking/biking trails throughout Michigan. Very cool company!

**Be the change you want to see in the world**
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  09:01:21 AM  Show Profile

Hey Sara, We used to live in St Louis and I loved Schnucks! Weird name but good food.We are about an hour and a half from a Whole Foods Market so we go once every few months for entertainment. I bought some 365 Lavendar shampoo and loved it;it was only 4.00 for a big bottle. Also I bought 365 brand walnuts and pecans for the holidays and they were very good.
Go to Top of Page

scurran
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Sara
St. Louis Missouri
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  4:42:03 PM  Show Profile
Victoria -
I love WF shampoo. I use the plain. I bought the lavender lotion and fell in love with it. And yes, you can't beat the price for no extra junk in it!!!

And yes, Schnucks is a funny name. It seems like second nature to me now. It's better than Dierberg's! :)

Sara

**Be the change you want to see in the world**
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  8:38:15 PM  Show Profile
I have been very impressed with Whole Foods brand, 365. From shampoo to tomato sauce, it has been great & high quality.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  2:57:11 PM  Show Profile
I went to Mizzou and also used to shop at Schnucks
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  07:36:20 AM  Show Profile
I like Albertson's "Wild Harvest" Organinc Pasta sauce. I'm happy to find stores making their own lines of organics.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  03:18:23 AM  Show Profile
I second Kroger stuff. Never had a bad experience w/ their generics.

Wal-mart is ok

Aldi is hit or miss

Target is ok too and a grade better than Wal-Mart
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  08:50:38 AM  Show Profile
Anna, my friend told me that not all Aldi generics are equal, and you have to find the good ones, but there are good ones. I don't shop there because nothing is kosher.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Store brand generics you like Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page