ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  08:47:59 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have casserole style or large main dish recipes for a crowd? I need to make something for my husband's work and later for Christmas Day at my parents. For the work recipe, I'd like to make a vegetarian dish that is more an entree then a side dish.

I need all the help I can get!
Thanks, Dawn in IL

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  7:45:03 PM  Show Profile
How about Mac & Cheese? I have a pretty good baked one.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  7:56:42 PM  Show Profile
Baked Broccoli Mac & Cheese
(you can garnishh with parsley & pimento or roasted red pepper bits for Christmas colors)

2 c. (8 ounces) elbow macaroni
1 stick butter
1/4 cup minced onions
3 tbsp. flour
2 c. light cream
2 cups chopped & steamed broccoli
1/2 c. dry white wine (or water)
2 c. grated sharp cheddar (1/2 pound)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (topping)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Cayenne to taste 1/2 tsp. paprika
Bring 4 qt. salted water to a rapid boil and cook the macaroni until not quite tender. Drain macaroni and set aside.
In sauté pan, melt 1/2 the stick of butter (or 4 tablespoons). When melted, stir in the breadcrumbs and toast just until lightly browned. Remove breadcrumbs from pan and set aside. Wipe pan clean with paper towel and re-use for next step. Breadcrumb topping: Melt remaining butter, add onions, and stir over low heat until onions are just translucent, but not browned. Stir in the flour and seasonings. Continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the wine, then gradually stir in the milk or cream.

Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened and smooth. Add cheese and continue stirring until the cheese melts.
Combine the macaroni and broccoli with the cheese sauce. Turn out into a generously buttered casserole dish (approximately 1 1/2 quarts). If you have any extra grated cheese, you can sprinkle this on top along with the 1/2 cup of buttered, toasted bread crumbs.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for approximately 20 minutes or until heated all the way through and golden brown on top.

garnish with parsely & pimento or roasted red pepper bits)

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Dec 10 2008 7:59:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  3:25:05 PM  Show Profile
Colcannon (modified from a Moosewood recipe)

about 2 lbs potatoes, washed and peeled
1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
About 1/3-1/2 medium cabbage, diced in 1 inch dice
2 leeks, white and light green parts only, washed and chopped
4 T butter
Enough milk to bind (I never measure it...1/2 cup maybe?)
salt, pepper, and nutmeg
cooking spray
1/2 lb bag shredded cheddar cheese

Peel and boil potatoes for mashing. While potatoes are cooking, steam vegetables until bright green. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350. When potatoes are soft (they fall off a fork easily when pierced), drain and mash with milk, butter, and spices. Mix potatoes and vegetables together, and put in a 9 X 13 glass dish sprayed with cooking spray. Top with cheese and bake until cheese is melted and slightly browned. Children and husbands love this dish.

Edited by - ivmeer on Dec 11 2008 3:25:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  7:26:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the yummy recipe ideas. I have to admit though I'm not a fan of macaroni and cheese, but I know the vegetarians love it. The potato dish from Moosewood looks great, I just might give that one a try! Thank you both so much for the recipes.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  6:02:37 PM  Show Profile

There are some good stuffed squash recipes. I just stuff butternut squash with chopped onions sauteed in olive oil and salt, grated parmesan cheese, chopped sauteed portobello mushrooms and some kind of rice, wild or brown. you can add other seasoning but I usually keep it simple. The portobellos have a rich flavor.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  10:12:39 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, is it possible to make the Colcannon recipe ahead of time & reheat it?

Thanks,
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  12:43:09 PM  Show Profile
How about chicken enchiladas?

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Go to Top of Page

tea4sheri
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Sheri
Appalachian Mountains VA
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  6:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn,
Well speaking as a vegetarian, the colcannon sounds yummy. Infact, I think I'll cook that for dinner tomorrow. :). Even mac-cheese is appreciated at dinners, although I've been to a few dinners where it was sprinkled with bacon or mixed with ham! Yikes. How about a veggie lasagna or pasta dish with just veggies? Even a meat-free salad is good. Whatever you decide, the vegetarians will be doing cartwheels. ;) Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Sheri

farm girl sister # 321

May you always have
Walls for the winds,
A roof for the rain,
Tea beside the fire,
Laughter to cheer you,
Those you love near you,
And all your heart might desire!
— Irish Proverb
Go to Top of Page

tea4sheri
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Sheri
Appalachian Mountains VA
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  6:44:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn,
Well speaking as a vegetarian, the colcannon sounds yummy. Infact, I think I'll cook that for dinner tomorrow. :). Even mac-cheese is appreciated at dinners, although I've been to a few dinners where it was sprinkled with bacon or mixed with ham! Yikes. How about a veggie lasagna or pasta dish with just veggies? Even a meat-free salad is good. Whatever you decide, the vegetarians will be doing cartwheels. ;) Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Sheri

farm girl sister # 321

May you always have
Walls for the winds,
A roof for the rain,
Tea beside the fire,
Laughter to cheer you,
Those you love near you,
And all your heart might desire!
— Irish Proverb
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  04:10:35 AM  Show Profile
Sorry for the delay in getting back. The colcannon recipe is very easy to reheat. The best way to do it is to assemble the potato mixture and the vegetables, put it in a baking dish with the cold shredded cheese on top, and just hold off baking it. It bakes up in about 20-30 minutes. BTW, I forgot to mention that Colcannon is an Irish dish. I made it last night for my very happy husband and 2-year-old.

Edited by - ivmeer on Dec 17 2008 04:11:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  05:43:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipe Amanda. I hope your Colcannon came out yummy Sheri! I am going to make it tomorrow & bake it on Friday morning before my husband leaves. They have hot plates at the lab, so it should stay warm until the party. This recipe looks hearty enough to last through a buffet. I hope the vegetarians will love it. My husband is a scientist at a national lab, so there are a lot of Hindu and vegetarians who will be at the party. I think this dish will satisfy the many non-Christian people too (no pork crowd). Merry Christmas and thanks for all of your suggestions!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  06:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Argonne?
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  07:54:33 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Argonne. I worked there for 5 years before taking my "mommy break". It's a great place to work, the whole world is there! I loved it and hope if the hiring freeze (courtesy of the Bush administration) gets lifted, I will get to go back there.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  2:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Vegetarian Lasagna?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  1:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Well, I just finished making the Colcannon. It looks yummy and though I haven't baked it yet, it tastes great! Now for the fun news, the party has been canceled! We are supposed to get hit with a big snow/ice storm here tonight, so the party is rescheduled for January. The kitchen is a wreck and my 5 year old son just got home from kindergarten & is clamoring for attention! LOL I guess!

On the bright side, dinner is now taken care of!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  3:48:17 PM  Show Profile
Ack! Well, the best part is, it's a dish that appeals to 5-year-olds. We're getting snow tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need Holiday Main Dish Recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page