FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  07:03:23 AM  Show Profile
This year, money is a bit tight expecting a little one in February (but money is just tight, anyway ), but I still love to give gifts.

My husband is really difficult to buy for, in that he won't give any hints, and on my end, I like to come up with REALLY unique gifts, so I can make it a real headache to shop!!!

He saw a set of WWII Military History books (8 in the set) at an antique/rare book seller a few weekends ago, and mentioned that they were really wonderful. They are $90.00 for the whole set of 8, so I've called and put them on hold until Friday (or as we call it, payday :))...I also ordered him a nifty flashlight for the required "manly" gift, and I think with stocking stuffers, he'll be set.

How about you? What will you get your S.O this year? And, do you give your guy a list of things you want, or do you hope he just has the gifting magic?

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  07:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Doug is getting homebaked goodies. Money is really tight right now. We have about $200 to pay on electricity, food, and gas to go home for Christmas. Luckily, Doug gets paid the day after Christmas and my part time job's check should come in before that. If my check does get here before Christmas, then we will maybe get each other something small.

Doug needs a new hat- he is a rabid Denver Broncos fan, and his current hat was bought about a quarter size too small. It gives him a headache, so I was thinking that might be a good gift for him, or even a new Denver Broncos Jersey. He loves to wear those on game days and his current one doesn't look very nice.

Another great gift is fleece blankets. I made one for us last year as a joint gift (mine and his). It is really comfortable and warm!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  07:31:51 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya, Alee...but it sounds like everything is at least under control, if not in abundance. That's something...

Sounds like the new hat is the way to go--and especially if the one he has now gives him a headache! And the Jersey sounds great, too. Ebay is especially wonderful for those kindsof items, I think.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  08:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Nothing, lol.
I mean no S.O. here

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  09:15:09 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes it's easier that way, Marian!!!

That's good, it just means more for you and your kitty!!!
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  09:29:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm letting my husband avoid Christmas altogether so he can go on a month's meditation retreat! He didn't have good Christmases as a kid - stressful - so he's always wanted to go to India - a non-Christian country - for Christmas. Well, no money for that trip, but he can do retreat anyway.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  09:38:01 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by FebruaryViolet

Sometimes it's easier that way, Marian!!!

That's good, it just means more for you and your kitty!!!

Yup, that's true and I ain't complaining one bit, lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  10:56:04 AM  Show Profile
Fredrik just bought himself a Portable Play Station with his Christmas bonus. I'm going to probably buy him a game for that and get him some new undies.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  11:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Hubby's getting a bathrobe...maybe he'll stop going to the mailbox in his underware The best present I ever bought him tho was one of those big, huge mag-lite flashlights (the one that takes like 8 batteries and looks like the ones the sherrif carrys in their cars). He still talks about it and that was like 9 years ago! Uses that sucker everyday, how can I possibly top that?!

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Edited by - clux64 on Dec 10 2008 6:20:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  11:16:58 AM  Show Profile
The hubby and I have for the last 15 years opted for not exchanging gifts. Why? Mainly because we want what we want when we want it! If the money is there to get it we will. That way neither one of us feel we need to wait for a holiday or birthday to get something. We started doing that for our children as well a few years back and they have delighted in it ever since. We still do give them smaller gifts at their birthday and holidays though.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  12:35:11 PM  Show Profile
We have sort of a tradition of giving each other socks and underwear for Xmas, because we both tend to put our personal needs low on the list and spend our money on bigger things over the course of the year (like guitars, or car repairs, or trips). So a pack of undies will probably be under the tree, if nothing else.

I'd like to get him a new watch. He needs one, and he's hinted that he would like one of the Swiss Army watches in the Campmor catalog. But he gets home from work earlier than me, and if he sees the box he'll know exactly what I got him.

There's also a WWII book that he's all excited about at the moment. I think it's called "Steichen at War", being the photographs of the famous photographer (Georgia O'Keefe's husband). I happened to see it for sale at the library used sale, but I didn't buy it because I thought he was tired of WWII books. I mentioned it too him later and he got all excited. But it was gone the next time I went back. But I can probably find a copy online...

So I've got options. But I'd better get a move on and get one of these things before it's too late.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  06:37:13 AM  Show Profile
Mine is a truck driver and is forever getting lost because of bad directiond given. He's been wanting one of those GPS things for awhile now. We are doing pretty ok in the monet dept. right now, so I got him one. It was on sale and with a $30.00 rebate it's only like $80.00. And a few other little things, too.

Please tell me what S.O. means. I assume it's got something to do with husbands but for the life of me I can't get this one!

Thanks, confused Kris
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  06:44:09 AM  Show Profile
CELESTE!!!! Get that boy a robe!!! :) Just kidding...I'm usually the one out in the yard with a tiny gown on when the weather is warm, getting the paper. My husband is ALWAYS screamin'!!!!

Amie, I'd be very interested in seeing that book you mentioned. I wonder if I can get through Amazon or something? My dh is crazed over WWII. Can't seem to get enough of it...even makes models of B-29's and other WWII era planes and belongs to a model club (nerdy, but keeps him really happy!).

The watch sounds like a great gift...Can you have it shipped to work or your parents? That's what I do, because my husband is a sneak. Actually, the first Christmas gift I bought my husband, was a watch. It was a vintage (1942) Bulova, which he has worn and worn and worn...now that he works where his hands get wet all the time, he's afraid to wear it--especially after finding out it wasn't water proof when he jumped in the pool :( It cost me more to get it repaired than what I originally paid for it, but he wanted THAT watch and none other :)

I think I'll probably do the boxers/undershirts in his stocking, and some chocolate covered oreos. Got him a REALLY cool flashlight yesterday, and will purchase his books tomorrow. Still looking for the perfect shearling slippers :)
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  06:45:33 AM  Show Profile
Kristin- S.O. means significant other :)

I'm knitting my hubby a scarf, and I got him a few little things such as a travel bag to replace the ratty one he's got now, some cologne, and a warm shirt.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  06:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kristin--
S.O. is significant other :) I'm not so up to speed on all this internet lingo, but I learned that one right away from some maternity forum in Britain, where almost noone had a "dh" like me :) Apparently, it's less offensive !!!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  07:45:00 AM  Show Profile
I call the guy I live with (52 years) Ole Ron. Most of the time he is neither S or D, but he is still the O and H. LOL. He got $400 worth of insulin last month. About wiped out my extra $. he finally got hooked up with the VA to get his meds so I bought him a fleece robe from Cabellas. The last time he bought me a present, was 20 years ago. It was a S&W 357. I didn't like it so he has not bought a surprise present since. I ususlly buy what I want, when I want it.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  1:11:00 PM  Show Profile
Ha! Belle your post made me laugh, and it was sorely needed! Thanks for that :) Good thing you shop for yourself, might I add :)
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  2:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Hubby gets a book never got him one before, he's not much of a reader, but thats what he asked for. He is getting me an ant farm! 60 years old and I never had one before...some things are just worth waiting for I guess....like the first pony I ever got last summer!!!Santa got real tired of hearing ol granny whining about a pony and finally sent one for my birthday hehe
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  2:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Another great gift is to burn a special CD for him with all of his favorites on one disc. Cheap and meaningful.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  07:28:16 AM  Show Profile
Money is tight for me this year due to an unexpected expensive repair to my old pickup, so....

Yesterday I went into Word on my computer and headed out to Microsoft land for a coupon template and there was a really cute one that I downloaded, 10 to a sheet, all Christmas'y and editable and I made my DH a book of coupons from it for 10 special things he can "redeem" at his choosing. Things range from a back rub to a night off of lambing duty to a cowboy breakfast (one of my specialties), a year subscription to his favorite ag newspaper, etc. It fits into my budget and it's personal and I'm going to make a cute little cover for it and wrap it up!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  11:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Adorable! Great ideas, everyone. I ended up his gifts this morning, by ordering his WWII books from that antique book shop. It's about an hour from me, so I'm using it as an excuse to go down next week with my mom and have a nice lunch, and do some antiquing for us, which we rarely get to do together during her crazy retail season.

I also figured out what to do for his stocking: making homemade maple sugar pecans, getting him his favorite Chocolate covered Oreos from a local candy maker, some lovely warm socks, and making some felted wool inserts for his muck boots. Can't wait to work on those!!!
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  12:48:38 PM  Show Profile
We usually do gifts but This year We are only doing stocking stuffers this year..thats anything that can go in our christmas stockings. He was looking at tractors when we first moved here to our acre farm...so I got him a "(toy tractor at Goodwill still in the box) and a stargazer He loves astronomy.. Our first year together I bought him his own Star..out there in the galaxy. With the certification that states its his very own.. & map of where it is... kinda unique. Last year we went to Costa Rica, we travel a lot and pretty much buy what & when we want something too..since we are retired, but with the market like it is... we are not spending much right now... we will spend our Christmas with family and that suits us both fine.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  3:38:34 PM  Show Profile
We have limited our gifts to each other this year, and the only thing he wanted was new quilted barn coveralls. The ones he's wearing right now have a broken zipper, and he's wearing them, but they don't keep the wind out, that's for sure. So, I got him those, plus a new pair of track pants (he wears them at night watching tv). The ones he has have actually rotted in places, and he thinks they are fine, but they're getting replaced, whether he likes it or not!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  5:23:14 PM  Show Profile

We aren't giving each other anything but a day off to sit and stare at the Christmas tree and a yummy Christmas dinner. We will have a fire in the firepalce and relax!
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  04:18:49 AM  Show Profile
This is the first time in about 8/9 years that I have my "own" money - I have a very small part time job. I was excited to be able to buy my dh a gift this year. He's getting a meat slicer. He's been eyeballing it at Bass Pro Shops everytime we were in there. Lord knows what he's going to do with it, but I hope he'll be surprised when he opens it.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  05:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Well farmgirls y'all gave me a chuckele this morning. Lori I think maybe our husbands are twins, lol. Our anniversary is DEC 7, so a few years ago we decided to combine our anniv. and Christmas gifts. We get something that we use as a couple. This year we needed bath towels, you know how expensive those are if you get good ones. One year it was his and hers kindling axes with leather holders, lol, not kidding. One year it was a new sofa and recliner, it just depends on what we need and how much money we have that year. Most the time it isn't that expensive, especially when we were in the first years of our marriage. We are pushing to get a place built on our Idaho land, so I see construction type presents in my future, lol
Merry Christmas

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic What's everyone getting their S.O? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page