Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Made butter! Next Topic  

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  2:21:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey I made some butter the other day. Not as hard as I thought. I only used a regular mixer and heavy cream. I think next time, I'll add some garlic/herbs...or maybe honey. I like organic butter but can't pay the almost 5$ a pound.

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  2:32:03 PM  Show Profile
OOOh that sounds yummy. I never thought of adding anything to it.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  3:59:20 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it so good? A friend of mine has dairy cows and when I need butter I get cream from her. I use a smoothie machine. It has the spout at the bottom to pour off the buttermilk and I pour the cold water in to rinse the butter. It's so easy. Not much mess with it. I've tried the mixer but end up with whipped cream.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  07:13:51 AM  Show Profile
Do you just pour in the cream and let it beat or do you do something else to it? I am giving baskets of homemade bread and pomegranate jelly and applebutter to my friends for Christmas if I could add homemade butter that would top it off. I have heard of shaking it in a jar but this sounds a little easier on the arm:)

I am one with my inner farm girl!
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  11:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Well, Kristin, the mixer is my preferred way to make whipped cream AND butter. You just whip it a bit longer to get past the whipped cream stage.

Becky, you can shake it in a jar. I've tried twice to make whipped cream that way and it's ALWAYS butter. But it is a bit of a workout. I believe MaryJane calls it "kitchen aerobics"!

I'm the only one that would enjoy herbs or honey in my butter, so I have never done it. But I'll bet it's really good.

Oh, and Starmeadow, isn't that a great money saving idea? I guess it kind of ranks up there with buying your burger already made into patties or your lettuce or cheese already shredded. For a little extra effort and a lot less money, you get the same thing except it tastes way better. Bonus!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]

Edited by - lisamarie508 on Dec 05 2008 11:21:05 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Made butter! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page