Author Holidays: Previous Topic Live Christmas tree Next Topic  

beachaubergine
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

cape cod MA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  11:07:31 AM  Show Profile
does anyone use a live tree? my hubby and i are thinking of getting a live tree but we live in the northeast and although the ground isn't frozen yet, it was only 8 degrees with the wind chill last night! a place down the street is selling live trees so i imagine it isn't unheard of in these parts but i wonder when we could safely plant it> anyone have any experiences? this is the first time we have been able to get a tree and i'd love to hear from anyone!

Edited by - beachaubergine on Dec 08 2005 11:09:18 AM

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  1:54:44 PM  Show Profile
If you want a live tree, you need to prepare the hole for planting before the ground freezes -- dig it deep enough and store the excavated dirt in a place where it won't freeze so you'll have it ready to go when it is time to plant. Also, line the hole with straw or such to keep the ground from freezing solid.

Keep the balled and burlapped (or containered) tree in a cool place as long as possible before bringing in the house -- you may want to bring it in and decorate the Wednesday before Christmas, for example.

If you do put lights on the tree, make sure they don't throw off a lot of heat. Also, keep the tree away from heat registers, etc., when it is in the house. Then, asap after Christmas, take off the lights and decorations and plant it in the hole outside, using the unfrozen dirt and watering it in. We've had a live tree and then planted a couple of years here outside of Chicago.

If the place down the street is a reputable garden center, they can also give you tips on enjoying the live tree in your house and then in your yard. It's a great idea and a good investment.
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  2:34:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi in Maine,I always wanted to go there.I think its alot like where I'm from.My ex and I fished for awhile,(crab & halibut).I lived out on the Aleutian Chain off the west coast of Alaska for 2 years.There are NO trees there so my mom dug one up here in Southeast Alaska and mailed it to me for Christmas! It was just a baby but ohhh it was soo nice! I planted it on Ballyhoo Mt. but alas it didn't survive.Maybe too much wind or the volcanic ash type soil.Not sure. I do remember the wildflowers were incredible( mini orchids)! and lots of morel mushrooms. What is it like where you live and what do you like to do?
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Live Christmas tree Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page