Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Baby due in February, but what do I REALLY need?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Baby due in February, but what do I REALLY need? Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  1:04:33 PM  Show Profile
If you believe everything that these registry stores push on you, I think you'd go broke before the baby even gets here. I am trying very hard to simplify, and streamline the nursery, and our "stuff" for the baby, but I've been criticized by family members because there's "nothing on the registry!".

I'm very thrifty and, between myself, my neighbors, and some very good friends and family members, we have are just about set with the first year's clothing hand me downs (yep, bought thrift clothes for my first child--another complaint I've heard...I don't think it's a bad thing to have hand me downs and used items as long as they're not creepy...why pay $20.00 for a sleeper that's she's going to grow out of in a second anyway?)...

So, what did you absolutely use with your baby? We are starting from scratch, so here is what I have (or have registered for) so far:

**clothes (see above)...lots of onsies, elastic bottom gowns, sleepsacks and sleepers for the first year, plus some outfits here and there.

**cloth diapers (18 from Bum genius--expensive start, but worth it in the longrun)

**bottles, bottle warmer, bottle sterilizer etc...

**receiving blankets, burp cloths, bibs

**portable crib and portable crib bedding (new mattress, sheets, etc...). This crib got great reviews as a permanent crib, and it's perfect for small spaces like our cottage, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg ($99.00). I've looked into second hand cribs, but they're either equally expensive to new ones, or just in plain bad shape.

**stroller/car seat (our most expensive item on the registry at $250)

**I bought a dresser at a goodwill store for $15.00 which has 3 large drawers and a book case up top. We are repainting it, fixing the handles and voila! A new dresser!

What about a changing table? Why are they so expensive?

Any help you can give is much appreciated....I run the risk of being WAY too practical, so I don't want to miss anything important, but it all seems like such marketing!!!

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  1:30:07 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any kids of my own, so I can't give lots of practical advice. Baby items have changed so much since my babysitting days! I suspect you are right - a lot of it is just plain marketing. I was a first child who grew up on thrift store and make do items in the 70s, and my mom also got a lot of weird looks from the relatives back then. But it didn't bother me at all, and probably instilled my love of vintage 1940s and 50s stuff.

Two items I think of right off the bat that are very handy: diaper bag (with lots of pockets) and diaper pail (for the dirty diapers before washing them).

Also, the plastic baby baths are really nice for the first few months. Much more convenient (and safer) than using either the real bathtub or the kitchen sink.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  1:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Changing table?? I used any flat surface. The couch, the bed, the floor, the back seat of the car. You don't need one. Unless it's the top of a dresser with a strap on it. I had one like that but never used it, either. Babies like to move alot, esp. when they are being changed! Mine wore clothe diapers, too. Good for you! Half the time I couldn't get the plastic pants on them before they took off anyway. Have plenty of aloe gel handy.

The more you can get used the more you can save for later when things cost more. When mine were growing, I was always shocked at how much more expensive things got the older they got. And save all this for the next ones!

Just a few more months. It'll be here before you know it. Enjoy the quiet while you can!!

And don't worry what other people think or say. You'll get it right for you. Sounds like you know what you're doing and you're doing a good job so far.

Have fun! Kris

Go to Top of Page

poole3
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Celina
CA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile
I had a changing table with my first child, but rarely used it.

I would recommend a snugly.(I don't think that's spelled right) Those backpack type things, I loved it, when the kids were little. I found it more useful when they were small, instead of the stroller, plus they are close to you! :)

Here's also a good tip, since those baby socks are so darn small, wash them in a lingerie bag so they don't get lost!

I also liked using a big bag, instead of carrying my purse and a diaper bag.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  2:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree- Don't worry about a changing table- Not worth the money.

I used the slings (Rebekkah Mae here on the forum makes FABULOUS organic slings and even sends you her pattern as well!) and snugli a lot.

I also would suggest a swing that plugs into the wall instead of batteries.

I got a "Momma Bear" a bear that has womb sounds recorded and that was great!

Lots of quilts and soft things for baby to lay/sleep on. Blankets are just about the perfect thing and if you rotate through several they are less likely to attach to just one and get clingy to it.

They also have these cool swaddler outfits that look like they have wings that you wrap around the baby. Blankets do this just fine, but I liked having at least one or two of them for when we needed to conserve space.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MuslinBunnies
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Tina
Franklin NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  2:31:16 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Amie about the diaper bag, diaper pail, and baby bath. They are definitely things to add to your list. I also recommend baby hats, especially for the first couple of weeks. My nieces and nephew seemed more comfortable and secure when they had a little hat on their head as newborns.

And although they seem like a bit of an added expense, a bouncer seat similar to this http://www.target.com/Fisher-Price-Infant-Bouncer-Seat-Perfectly/dp/B0018Z8CNS/sr=1-1/qid=1228170229/ref=sr_1_1/189-0348334-2573473?ie=UTF8&rh=k%3Ababy%5Fseat%5Fbouncer&page=1 is actually worth it. Many days my sister could not get any rest with all three of her babies until they were placed in the bouncer seat and they finally fell asleep.

Congratulations by the way! I make some darling baby mittens and booties. If you would like a set, send me an e-mail. :)

Tina A.

My Website: http://muslinbunnies.tripod.com/
My Button Quail Site: http://groups.google.com/group/button-quail-planet
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  4:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! All great suggestions, and thanks for the info about the changing table. I don't recall that I had one--mom said she didn't, but they try to sell you everything and the kitchen sink!

The snuggli's or whatever look really cool! We hike a lot, though we won't be using one of those backpacks for a bit, I still would like to look into those.

Wonderful tip about washing those socks!! They really ARE small-and if I lose ours the way I do, well then....it only stands to reason that those little buggers will be gone in seconds!

Tina, I will check out your site...thanks for the heads up--we LOVE handmade items :)
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  4:52:36 PM  Show Profile
The changing table is definetely not vital, I liked all of the above and a baby monitor was helpful too.
good luck!
Laura

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  5:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I didn't have a changing table but I loved my changing pad.

Don't forget for Mama, to get some nice comfy clothes. I bought all yoga clothing and it lasted about 4 months- all cotton, easy to take care of, comfortable for recovery and your ever changing body and looks good with flip flops or ballet slippers.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  5:26:56 PM  Show Profile
If you are using strictly cloth diapers then I suggest you invest in a few more. My youngest is now 17 so much has changed in those years. We had nothing new when my oldest was born, everything was second hand except a few cloth items that were given to me as gifts. The one thing I cherished the most was the baby monitor! I really think they are great! Congratulations!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  6:37:31 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 boys and my daughter is 7 months now and the things I use EVERY DAY are the basics of course, diapers, clothes, socks and BIBS. Baby Monitor is my 3rd ear. All three of my children have liked a walker, but that is not necessary of course. I have a changing table that I use for stacking laundry on!!!
One thing I want to share with you...I don't know what car seat you are registered for, but when my first baby was born I went to the government website and looked at the safety reviews. We bought the "Alpha Omega Elite" by Costco. When he was 10 months old we were in a terrible car accident. The car was totaled, I had a broken nose, terrible bruises and hemotoma's and just downright banged up and my baby come out with NOTHING!!! He was fine. Now all three of my children ride in one of those car seats. The other nice thing about them is that they are good from 5-100lbs so you'll never need to go to a booster ect. Just a thought.
Oh also, the only article of clothing I've bought for my daughter is a pack of socks!!! Seriously....use the hand me downs and thrift store items....its absolutely wonderful to not have to stress about new clothes and costly items they will wear for 2 months at best. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  7:58:02 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the changing table- mine was attached to the crib, but I still rarely used it. As far as diaper bags, I just used the ones I got from my obgyn and the hospital that are filled with freebies. Hand me downs are almost better than new in most cases. The chemicals used in making the clothes are hopefully mostly gone and they are comfy and already broken in. Definitely get more diapers. You can never have too many diapers! As far as crib bedding, experts say not to use the bumpers and not to cover sleeping baby with blankets because they could smother themselves. Save yourself the money and just buy several fitted sheets. I never used the receiving blankets- they outgrow them very quickly, but you could probably fold them into cloth diapers. And I definitely agree with Alee about the swinging that plugs in. Swings are a must have and the batteries run out way too quickly. Nothing is worse than having your batteries run down just when baby has decided the only place for a nap is the swing!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  09:23:47 AM  Show Profile
Is your portable crib one where the baby is down about floor level? I used one of those for a couple of months for my middle child and OH my aching back... I ended up buying some heavy upholstery foam the size of the mattress to raise the level up about a foot. Even though a newborn doesn't weigh much you pick him or her up about a zillion times a day, also I was not the world's youngest mother (33 at that time.) Once the baby was big enough to roll over I took out the extra foam so I didn't worry about him getting trapped next to the mattress.
I found receiving blankets very handy - I would put one over the sheet and tuck in the edges, so if the baby spits up, you can just switch out the receiving blanket rather than the whole sheet. I agree the snugglis are great - one of my kids was so fussy and colicky that I ended up carrying him around the house in a snuggli for the first couple of months. Since the baby loves it if you walk around you can actually get some housework done and make the baby happy at the same time.
My youngest child is 14 and some of those cloth diapers are still hanging around as cleaning rags!!
Sue in Richland WA
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  11:17:41 AM  Show Profile
Wow, such great info!
My portable crib looks like the "full sized" ones they sell now, but on a smaller scale...it folds up for travel, which is a boon as well. I did plan on getting a different crib mattress, simply because the ones they come with aren't meant to be used daily.

The cloth diapers that I am buying are made by Bum Genius, and are a fitted diaper, with an insert. They call them pocket diapers--these are a one size, that is supposed to fit the baby from 7 lbs. to potty training. It seems that 18 is a good starting point, washing every other day. They are about $245.00 for 18. When I worked out the logistics, and the dollar cost averaging for cloth vs. disposable, this was a no brainer. Also, I just don't like the idea of disposables with the exception of travel.

We have a swing and high chair that have been given to us--don't know if the swing is a battery or plug-in. Will check on it, but free and in good condition is still free, so if I have to keep batteries tied to the darn thing, I guess that's no biggee :)

Heather...the Pediatrician we will be seeing recommends swaddling and sleepsacks as opposed to bedding, so I did register for some of those swaddling blankets like Alee mentioned, and I have purchased many sleepsacks (some with sleeves, some without). I will utilize the crib sheets and the pads that (hopefully) prevent accidents, but other than that, I won't worry about the bumper and things until she is a bit older.

I forgot that I registered for a monitor, too :) I wanted to make sure it had a nice frequency and distance, so that I can take it outside with me in the garden. She's going to be born just weeks before I get out to plant peas and potatoes, so I'll need to have some time out there to ensure our garden gets going!

Heather...you mentioned a changing pad. What did you get for your baby? I guess I didn't think of them as two separate items, really...pad and table.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  11:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Changing pad- I found a double quilted, extra soft foldable one, I think at Babies R US or something. They also sell just a changing pad for the tables.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  5:33:38 PM  Show Profile
It has been ages since my baby girl was a baby, but I never used/had a changing table. I always changed my children on the floor. They can't roll off the floor!

Also, I never used a bottle warmer. I used the microwave. Yes, I know bad mommy-however, Joshua wouldn't wait for anything slower. He wanted his bottle NOW. The girl could have cared less if she ate at all. She had better things to do. (Funny how they are all different.)
I did use glass bottles when I could, but they didn't many back then. There were mostly plastic and I was young and dumb.
I am sure they are making a comeback now. In any case, make sure your bottles are BPA free.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  09:36:53 AM  Show Profile
This reminded me of something funny - back when we lived in MD in a townhouse, our neighbor one day asked what we had been building over the weekend - it turned out her baby monitor had picked up our baby monitor and they could hear us! I wonder what else they heard??? Hopefuly the monitors are more private by now!
Sue in Richland, WA
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  09:43:39 AM  Show Profile
That is soooo funny, Susan!!! I've often wondered about their frequencies...and on a spookier note, there was some creepy crime show that had some stalker that used a baby monitor tuned to this couple he was stalkings' baby monitor frequency!

Yuk.
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  10:05:52 AM  Show Profile
I think you have a good start on what you need. Definitely get more diapers if you can. 18 will not last long especially in those first few weeks. I never used a changing table and don't think you really need one. A diaper bag is nice but you can use any tote bag. My kids always enjoyed the baby bouncer. I always wish I had a nice snuggly.
I wouldn't feel bad about not registering for all those useless extras. You are being very wise and frugal.
Ruth
Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/

Edited by - homemom on Dec 03 2008 10:06:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  12:17:50 PM  Show Profile
Your all so cute...LOTS of good advice,,,I think the one thing a baby NEEDs is a calm mother,,,,rest, sleep when baby does(yes, your home will look ike a bomb went off, but, that can wait)....and if your tired, no visitors.....they sometimes can be exhausting.....Sounds like you have all under control.....

Farmgirl Sister #368
http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com

http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  12:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Amen, Terri...:) I read an article a few weeks ago by a woman who regretted being the "perfect" housewife, mother, etc...because she spent more time cleaning and picking up, than with her kids. I hope to have a happy medium :) I can be a bit of a clean freak, but it comes in spurts!

I understand that I will be tired...I need to take that cue then, from my body and sleep when little one does because I'm not a napper, even when I'm exhausted. Feels wrong to me, somehow. Will have to figure it all out, though. That's how my husband knew that I really WAS pregnant--I took the first nap in our 8 year marriage during the first trimester. He told EVERYONE!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  6:53:36 PM  Show Profile
FV you are doing really well with being organized and practical. The only thing I would suggest is to take care of yourself. So often we are use to taking care of hubby,children, and we are last on the list. Take the time to grab a few minutes here and there. In the long run you will teach your little one the good lesson that when a mommie takes care of herself, she is much better equipped to take care of her family.
Congratulations!!!!!!

Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  8:24:57 PM  Show Profile
Such a nice post, Carol Sue...and thanks for that reminder.

Alright...so this is NOT something I need with this little one, but we saw this in an antique store and couldn't pass it up. Her room is going to be done sortof "old" style, I suppose, with antique doll highchairs, old Victorian German wood blocks, vintage textiles and things of that sort. So, this HAD to make it home It fits in with the second hand theme, I guess...right?

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  04:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
How cute...and I love your floors!!! Great find!!! : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  06:41:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! And thanks about the floors...my husband painstakingly measured and taped off each square. Our hardwood was not so lovely underneath, so we just decided to paint. Sure does make it easier with the dogs (one of whom I could NOT get out of the photo)...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  07:13:55 AM  Show Profile
How many dogs? Are you dog proofing? Or getting them used to a new little person in the house? Sometimes they can be a bit jealous.

When I was pregnant with our first, we had a cat. He was THE cat. He slept with us and he was all over the house. When Heather was born that cat took off. Never saw him again. I sure missed him, too. I just had no idea at the time how much impact babies make on animals, esp, house dogs and cats. Had I known, I would have been more prepared.

Just a thought! Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Dec 04 2008 07:16:10 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Baby due in February, but what do I REALLY need? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page