Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Public school - middle school to be exact
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Public school - middle school to be exact Next Topic  

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  3:33:14 PM  Show Profile
We aren't in a position to homeschool, so my kids are in public school. Yesterday my 7th grader came home to tell us that a classmate was pretending to be a suicide bomber. We were furious to hear this info. In fact, my husband went to the school today to speak with the assistant principal. I guess some kids just don't take things seriously anymore. They are desensitized to things of that nature.

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  3:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow, its amazing how schools dont handle these problems until a parent fusses about it. I am so blessed to be able to home school. I guess all I can really say is that you should pray over your children before they leave each day. They would be in good hands all day. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  3:43:08 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Karen, good advice. We pray in the evenings but an extra word wouldn't hurt in the mornings as well.

I really wonder what that kid's parents would think if they knew he was doing that.

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  2:47:04 PM  Show Profile
I don"t know about your schools, but our school here takes it very seriously. It is handled promptly and with zero tolerance.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  4:57:05 PM  Show Profile
I have a middle school class to teach this year. It takes a very special person to work with kids that age. I work better with high schoolers. But I'm trying. We take those things seriously too, but maybe it's the age, the hormones, the lack of time spent with self-discipline and realizing how what they think/intend as being funny isn't funny at all. It is part of teaching them what is acceptable in our society. Blond jokes/racial jokes/the list goes on and on of hurtful things people say. I think at that age they are still learning and hopefully home and school are working to teach them. I know I'd certainly have a talk with such a student, but only after I heard about it/if I saw it myself. But I'm not everywhere, and it's good your child told you. Maybe no adult witnessed the behavior to correct it on the spot? They are so fast, a stream of ugly words/actions often flies out before anyone sees it coming/can prevent it. Then it's damage control, and what do we all learn from the experience? Hopefully to be kinder more respectful growing-pains little folks.

I don't know how any of us survived being 'tweens! What a tough time in life.

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Sep 23 2009 5:02:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  6:07:51 PM  Show Profile
I certainly hope your child told an adult at the middle school as well. If such things aren't witnessed by adults and kids that DO witness it don't say anything, how can you expect the school to do anything? Remember, teachers can't be everywhere all the time. Kids are really good at knowing what they can get away with and with whom.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  05:45:05 AM  Show Profile
This is the sort of reason I completely blocked out 7th and 8th grade...can't even remember a teacher's name. Something happens at this point to teens...reason goes all out the window! Hopefully the school will discipline accordingly.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Public school - middle school to be exact Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page