JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  11:08:03 AM  Show Profile
I am just getting over some kind of upper respiratory infection, and I had a bit of a lingering, dry cough (only at nighttime when I laid down). I found the following recipe on the Internet, and it worked like a charm - got a good night of sleep, and haven't coughed since!

1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 Tbs. honey
1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs. water
Mix it all up well, and take by the teaspoon. 3 teaspoons was a good dose for me.

The Internet site does not recommend giving this to kids, and neither would I. With all that pepper, it's got quite a kick - it really warmed my throat and belly.

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  2:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Looks like a good recipe, I'll give it a try the next time one of the adults in the house is feeling ill. Thanks for sharing it with us.

By the way, just how peppery was it? It didn't make you sick to your stomach did it?

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  11:12:39 AM  Show Profile
No, it didn't make me sick to my stomach. The sensation kind of reminded me of how you feel when you take a slug of whiskey...my mouth and tummy felt warm, but not uncomfortable.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  11:21:02 AM  Show Profile
I was just going to say, "hey, you missed the bourbon!" That's very much like the one my father made up, only his had a shot of bourbon it it (to warm you, but I also suspect to put me to sleep!). I sure hated it when I was younger and when he heard me cough he'd say, "I'll make my special mix up for you!" and I would IMMEDIATELY act like I was fine :)
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  6:41:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information. My middle son has a bad cold, if he gets a cough with it, I'll give this a try on him! That is if he's willing to take it!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

SDPogue
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Sara
Pullman Washington
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  11:49:12 AM  Show Profile
we use rumple mintz - a potent peppermint schapps. Knocks out the cough and the crud.
Sara
Go to Top of Page

karla kay
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Karla
Lewistown MT
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  2:23:39 PM  Show Profile
Try Buckwheat honey. We had a Doctor suggest it and it works. All I know that it needs to be Buckwheat. We used it for the kids. Go to your healthfood store.

Karla

Farmgirl Sister #331
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  5:30:00 PM  Show Profile
I made a homemade cough remedy which has been a huge help the last couple of weeks at our house with all the sick people.... I soaked fresh blackberries and sugar in vodka for about 6 weeks, strained and keep it in a bottle in the cupboard. one tsp and it works great. The nice thing is that it tastes good too. Especially for a family that does not drink or even tolerates the taste of alcohol.

I also use a little peppermint schnapps mixed in hot chocolate for coughs and colds.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  5:23:11 PM  Show Profile
I made the cayenne pepper cough remedy for my hubby this weekend. He's been coughing for weeks now. He kinda sorta liked it and it did help. He took it with him in the truck but broke the jar. I also made some for my DD's boyfriend, too.

I love homemade remedies so much more than store bought ones.

Thanks for sharing this one, Jessie.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  5:52:29 PM  Show Profile
ACK!! I love whoever started this post. Ive been fighting a miserable sinus infection for the last three days and just started in with the cough and pressure really bad. I never knew peppermint schnapps could be good for anything besides Christmas toastings. As for the pepper, I have a stomach ulcer, does anyone know if that is still okay to use? If not, Im heading for the Schnapps. :P
thanks
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  5:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Ummmm, I love Rock and Rye - it is sweet without being over-powering and I just drink in a cordial glass, also peachtree schnapps mixed with some pineapple orange juice is grand!!!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  6:53:33 PM  Show Profile
I am going to make some of this right now. I have been sick since Tuesday. Eyes watering, nose running, searing throat, aching all over and the coughing is so bad I feel like I am turning inside out. Wow, Merry Christmas to me.
Thanks for sharing!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  07:56:17 AM  Show Profile
I use less cayenne by about 1/2 and add crushed raw garlic for the antibacterial effect. You can also add more water and drink it like a tea. Put all the ingredients together and simmer for about 5 minutes. Take off heat, add the garlic and enjoy. My husband had that 3 week coughing crud that was going around and this recipe helped him immensely!

I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009.
And it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  11:36:21 AM  Show Profile
Hack! Hack! Jessie, I'll be trying this after work this afternoon. Lovely little cold for my New Years treat! Thanks for sharing, I specifically went to this forum looking for a homemade cough remedy. Knew you girls wouldn't let me down.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

Edited by - acairnsmom on Jan 08 2009 11:37:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  12:13:14 PM  Show Profile
I am going to make some of this today.....I have been coughing for a week, yuck!

Farmgirl #428

"It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought, without accepting it"
Aristotle
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Homemade Cough Remedy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page