Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  5:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Is there anything herbal that would help the pain and inflammation of arthritis? I don't want to get a rx if I absolutely help it.

"Love one another."

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  8:26:20 PM  Show Profile
Some herbs with anti-inflammatory properties - Devil's claw, feverfew (not just good for migraines) Tumeric and Ginger - Boswellia also

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  08:37:05 AM  Show Profile
My 89 year old grandpa enjoys a salve made with arnica-infused olive oil. I use essential oils of ginger, peppermint, cinnamon, thyme, an rosemary.
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  7:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies for your help. I have heard about feverfew, tumeric and ginger before, I will try that. Although I don't think I have ever heard of arnica or devil's claw. I did some sleuthing on the net and it seems that unprocessed apple cider vinegar has helped lots of people. I wasn't aware of that either. It's not herbal, but it couldn't hurt to try right?
Thanks so much. :)

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  6:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Here is the recipe:

1 tsp raw vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
1 cup of water

It tastes really good. I make it by the gallon...just expand the recipe accordingly. Refrigerate.....yummy!!!

Also, good for arthritis and gout deposits. My wrists have had problems carpal tunnel issues and they feel better now than they have in years.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
www.fouracrefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  6:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
It may sound kind of weird but for some people, arthritis is actually a reaction to dairy. I'm one of those people who became vegan by default after avoiding dairy for 30 days and realizing all the arthritis symptoms were going away. Three months into a vegan diet, and no arthritis (and a host of other minor problems disappeared too). I know some people have a terrible time giving up cheese and milk, and believe me, I love Italian food and having to make it without cheese for a while was tough - but you do get used to it.

I've found I can "cheat" and have dairy three times per month without issues. Thought I'd mention it. Better than stinging nettle treatments (eek!).
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  8:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Salt is another irritant for arthritics.

Grandma swore by cherries for her arthritis. In fact, I just read an article a week or so ago about eating cherries to ease arthritis pain and that it has some natural chemical (I don't remember what it was called) in it that blocks the pain. Anyway, Grandma ate a can or a pint freezer bag full of cherries each week. She had read it in Prevention magazine in the 70's and turned a lot of other folks on to it, too.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

theresa333
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Theresa
MI
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  7:04:34 PM  Show Profile
I am an OBGYN. I have been very impressed with Limbrell. a nutriceutical that is very effective at pain from osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. It is flavanoid based and safe for most women to use. Ask your doctor/ midwife/ nurse/ physician assistant about it? It is safe strong medicine.

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  7:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
My mom takes alfalfa. Don't know why it works...maybe its something in the greens??? Anywho..that is what she takes.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

pmorello
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Patricia
Montgomery NY
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  3:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I have to ask, what is raw vinegar? and where would one go about finding some?

Pat
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  3:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Patricia raw vinega.r is unpasturized vinegar and you should be able to buy it at any organic or health food store I would think. I get it at our food co-op

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  06:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Brenda do some research on Chinese herbs - alma, ashwaganda, Asian ginseng, cordyceps, eleuthero, guduchi, holy basil, jiaogulan, licorice, reishi, rhodiola, schisandra and shilajit - Ashwagandha is used to treat fibromyalgia and autoimmune diseases such as RA. Holy basil oil is used topically for arthritis. You might want to pick up a copy of a book called Adaptogens - Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief by David Winston and Steven Maimes by Publisher, Healing Arts Press.
I will have an article out on this topic in the Spring 09 issue of Herb Quarterly.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  08:01:05 AM  Show Profile
I have used arnica gel salve for bumps and bruises and muscle strain. I really like it works well with out the smell and the heat and cold menthol feeling. I have just started to do the raw vinigar drink for joint pain I hope it works. Raw vinigar has what is called the Mother in it which is what makes it good.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  3:04:06 PM  Show Profile
NEttle tea is good for arthritis. Also a tea of equal parts of nettle, oatstraw and alfalfa is good for bones and would be good for arthritis, too. Good luck.

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  7:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Birdi, I am recommending your recipe to my dad. How often do you take the "recipe" and how much at a time?? Thank you.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  07:50:57 AM  Show Profile
I make an arthritis cream from only wildcrafted herbs I gather myself and with the help of my apprentices. We gather these herbs in the Cascade Mountains, on the west side of Washington and over on the east side. I sell lots to repeat customers who tell me that it works so well for them. It doesn't cure the arthritis, it deadens the pain for hours. Pain relief is a good thing! Some of my customers tell me they can't sleep unless they use my cream first. When I was married to my second husband who is native and we vended at powwows, we would get a lot of elders coming in and asking if I had anything with hellebore and devil's club in it. Yes to both!

It contains bitter root, devil's club, willow bark, St. John's wort flowers, arnica flowers, valerian root and flowers, burdock root and hellebore root infused in extra virgin olive oil, local beeswax.

PS....Devil's Club and Devil's Claw are 2 different plants.

I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009 and it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School

Edited by - Wildcrafter on Jan 01 2009 07:57:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  08:22:50 AM  Show Profile
I use arnica all the time ..daily in fact. I infuse the oil and then add cocoa butter and beeswax and some shea butter . I recently got some st.johns wort infused oil from prairieland herbs and added to the arnica mix. Works great. I use on both my knees for daily pain ..

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/ and my barter blog is at www.bartertribalwitch.blogspot.com and www.alteredartfun.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  1:31:03 PM  Show Profile
I drink Nettle infusions - this is a little differant than nettle tea. With the infusion you place about a 1/2 cup of nettles into a quart jar and pour boiling water over it. Cover and let the jar set for 4 hours till overnight. Put in the fridge after opening. Drink 1 quart jar a day. You can add honey if you want.

Nettle helps with inflammation and it is a blood cleanser. I seem to get relief.

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Herbs for Arthritis?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page