Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 I cannot find a home for him
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I cannot find a home for him Next Topic  

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  09:58:55 AM  Show Profile
My 12 yo TB gelding. I have had him listed for sale, for free, for trade. I cannot find a home for him to save my life. I have had people come look at him, I have even brought him to a potential new home, and something ALWAYS falls through or happens. A lot of the people who come out dont even know how to take care of a horse!
So he is a giveaway...and I'm so frustrated. The last person to come out wants him and looked at him and stuff, and then when she's about to leave tells me she has to talk to her cousin and her sister and her kids' father to find out if they will help her take care of him. I am trying to find him a better home, not a home where they dont know if they can afford to feed him...what are people thinking??

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  10:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is really tough, Cristine. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  11:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Sadly, Cristine, that is the the horse market right now. With feed prices and the ban of horse slaughter, there are A LOT of unwanted horses right now and they are a dime a dozen. People who have always pondered or dreamed of having a horse now can think it could happen but they don't know much about the reality of owning one and for the most part, when anything is free, it is perceived the giver will give them to anyone who is offering to take it.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  11:42:04 AM  Show Profile
So sorry Christine. It's bad when you can't find a good home for an animal that you love. I wish I was closer, my daughter is dieing for a horse. Just keep the faith that the right owner is out there and all the other people that have looked at the horse wasn't the right one's.

Best farm wishes
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  12:27:57 PM  Show Profile
It's been almost a year since I first listed him for sale....me and hubby joke everytime someone comes out to look at him and say..."well, we might as well keep him..."
Go to Top of Page

MuslinBunnies
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Tina
Franklin NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  1:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Poor guy! I have always wanted a horse and hope to someday be in a situation that will allow me to have one. Unfortunately, I currently live in an apartment and I don't think the landlord will allow a horse! I have had friends that have been looking for horses in the past and were willing to travel to pick them up. If I hear any of them mention wanting another, I will let them know about your gelding!

Tina A.

My Website: http://muslinbunnies.tripod.com/
My Button Quail Site: http://groups.google.com/group/button-quail-planet
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  1:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Cristine, I pray that the right person comes along and falls in love with your horse. They are out there somewhere.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  05:57:33 AM  Show Profile
Lots of folks out this way have not been able to give away their horses either. I don't know how hay prices are out there, but they are through the roof here. With the economy, such as it is, even long-time horse owners are needing to unload theirs because they just can't afford to feed them right now. I hope things work out for you soon.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  10:57:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Christine, that is a toughie :( I've worked with a farm sanctuary, and most of them are full up on horses, too. Many people are having a tough time keeping theirs, what with the expense. I wonder if there is a horse sanctuary near you? I am crossing fingers and toes that the right person will come along for you :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  11:30:46 AM  Show Profile
I contacts a sanctuary to find out if they had anyone looking for a horse that could be a potential show horse, and they said maybe...It's not the financial reason for getting rid of him, it's more because I just dont have any time to do anything....ANYTHING...anymore. I'm changing the store hours to 11-7, so evenings are out...my mornigns are spent cleaning and takign care of chores and whatnot, so I just dont have the time to mess with him anymore...Hay is outrageous here too like 7-9 dollars a bale! Luckily, my neighbor who has cows will give me a few round bales now and then....
I want to give him away with the hopes that someone will be able to take really good care of him and give him the love and attention he deserves.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  08:04:10 AM  Show Profile
What a frustrating thing for you Christine-- though I have to say you are getting away CHEAP in the hay department! Here in CA the hay is anywhere from $11-$14 A BALE!!! We are very fortunate that we grow our OWN hay on the family's 20+ acre farm. And we have very good pasture. (with lots of Roly-Poly critters to prove it!!! The goats especially look like fuzzy beer kegs with legs! LOL) We wouldn't have ANY animals (oh! be STILL my heart!!!!), and certainly no horses, if we had to buy feed. We have FOUR horses right now, though I can't resist looking at the ads for others looking for a home. It's so sad to see so many.

Maybe it's best just to keep him and be assured that he's getting good care and won't just be dumped somewhere. I've had one of my horses for 18yrs. I can't even REMEMBER the last time I rode him (he was never really "broke" to begin with!), but he's not going anywhere. I'm rather attached I'm afraid. And he's happy to be doing what horses do best-- eating, pooping and dozing in the sun! What more could a horse ask for? (except maybe a carrot or a nice horse cookie now and then...) If we lived closer, I'd say let him come to my house to be spoiled and lazy with all the other fuzzy, furry & wooly freeloaders. I wish you the best with him. ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I cannot find a home for him Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page