Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  2:40:45 PM  Show Profile
So do you have any favorites you read each year? I always read Dickens, A Christmas Carol. This year I plan on reading A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  3:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Some of my favorites include:

Little House in the Big Woods and Little House on the Prairie -- both have excellent Christmas chapters. The first features Laura receiving her rag doll, Charlotte. The simplicity of that Christmas and the joy that it brings always gets me. The latter has that wonderful story of Mr. Edwards meeting Santa Claus, who asks him to deliver gifts to Laura and Mary, despite horrible weather.

The opening scene of Little Women is a delight as well. Who can blame Jo for thinking Christmas isn't Christmas without presents?

I'm also a sucker for Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory. All that fruitcake. If you're going to buy a copy, you must have the one illustrated by Lizbeth Zwerger.

The picture books Polar Express (by Allsburg) and I'll Be Home for Christmas (Holly Hobbie) are favorites around here, too. Farmgirls can't help but love the way Hobbie depicts all of Puddle's holiday preparations.

I've already mentioned Marla Frazee's new picture book, Santa Claus: The World's #1 Toy Expert on another thread. It is sure to be a favorite in our house for years to come. Already my kids love imagining what Santa has printed on all those tiny post-it notes in his office.

And when I'm feeling a little naughty, I love reading David Sedaris' Santaland Diaries included in the book Holiday on Ice. Nothing funnier than his adventures as an obsessive-compulsive mall elf.

Except for maybe Jean Shepherd's A Christmas Story, on which the now classic movie was based. (You'll shoot your eye out, kid.)
Go to Top of Page

The Pinup Cowgirl
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Holly
Tacoma WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  3:54:05 PM  Show Profile
OH NO!! I didn't know that David Sedaris has stories about being a mall elf!! I know what my family is getting for Christmas!! (Ma- don't read this!) My sister and mother and I all adore David and Amy Sedaris. Our type of sick humor you could say. Thanks for the info!!

"We can do no great things; only small things with great love."
-Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  11:24:47 PM  Show Profile
Lurban, some titles I didn't know about and will have to check out. Thanks.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  09:20:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I was reading through the archives and came across this topic thread...seems appropriate...for me "A Christmas Memory" by Truman Capote is my personal tradition. I get all weepy every single time I read it...I don't usually do that...however, it's a good kind of weepy!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  09:30:03 AM  Show Profile
YES ,I Love both of those books, The Thanksgiving Visitor and Christmas Memory. I watch it whenever it comes on TV. The story is based on Truman's life.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  10:20:38 AM  Show Profile
I must be warped. My fav Christmas readings are The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson and A Christmas Story (the one they made the movie from). I also have several that are "biographies" of Santa Claus and Kris Kringle, as well as one with Civil War holiday stories (no, we really haven't let that go in the South yet! :) ) Another really good book, if you are interested in the non-Christian side of the holiday season is The Winter Solstice: The Sacred Traditions of Christmas by John Matthews. Lots of crafts and food, as well as information about the entire winter/holiday season (including Christian).

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  1:56:05 PM  Show Profile
Holly & fellow Davis Sedaris fans - you have to hear the books-on-CD version of his essays called "Live at Carnegie Hall"; to hear him read his elf exploits will have you nearly choking with laughter. See if you can borrow it through your local library, that's how I came across it.

I always loved reading "The Velveteen Rabbit" at Christmas.

Also, one of my favorite Christmas specials as a child was Jim Henson's "Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  4:53:59 PM  Show Profile
I loved Skipping Christmas by John Grisham too...they made a movie from it but the book is better. I can't remember what they named the movie..it was different but it had Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis in it.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  11:37:36 PM  Show Profile
I loved Skipping Christmas too - it was much funnier than the movie. The movie left out a lot of the subtle funny stuff. The movie was called Christmas with the Kranks.
I always read Dickens to the kids on Christmas Eve and we have a book called Treasury of Christmas Stories that they choose a different story from every night for the three weeks before Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  11:37:22 AM  Show Profile
How fun to see an old post of mine from last year show up again. I have added a new book for my traditional Christmas reading. I went to an Estate sale and found a copy of Miracle on 34th Street. As the movie is a family favorite, I couldn't pass the book up, especially since it was only a $1. When I went to pay for it the lady hesitated, then said," Oh, this book wasn't suppose to be on the shelf, I was to look it up on ebay to see its value." I told her that was fine, though inside I didn't want to. She said, "No, it is only fair that you get it since you want it, the mistake is mine." I offered again for her to keep it, she insisted. So, it makes it all the more precious to have on my self. Its value, by ebay standards, don't know. By my standards, pricless!

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  2:17:20 PM  Show Profile
A REDBIRD CHRISTMAS by Fannie Flagg is a wonderful Christmas read. I loved it to death!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  2:47:30 PM  Show Profile
I have read all of Fannie's books but this one. OH NO, I WILL HAVE TO GET IT. I just got O PIONEERS and the MITFORD COOKBOOK. I really should take a week off from all my other interests and catch up on my reading. Just not sure who is going to make me do this.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  3:04:15 PM  Show Profile
I have always enjoyed "A Tale of Three Trees" even though I am not a Christian. I think it is a great story and very well told. We also have the staple, "The Night Before Christmas" which we read on Christmas Eve.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  03:32:15 AM  Show Profile
Some of my favorites are children's books, I get them out each Dec. and look through them, setting them out for decoration. My kids will pick them up and say "Oh, yeah! I remember that one!" Three of our faves are:
Who is Coming to Our House? by Joseph Slate/Ashley Wolff - the Nativity account as told by the animals in the stable

The Christmas Story adapted by Kay Chorao

A Little House Christmas Holiday Stories from the Little House Books with illustrations by Garth Williams.

I have enjoyed seeing what everyone else likes to read and will be picking some of those books up myself!

Happy Reading,
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  07:14:28 AM  Show Profile
What a great thread! I love the Little House christmas chapters, and many of the other stories you've all posted. There are also some good Christmas episodes in James Herriot's books.

My favorite Christmas picture book is 'Mr. Willoughby's Christmas Tree', in which the huge tree's top is snipped to make it fit the ceiling and then that snipping gets snipped repeatedly to fit into smaller and smaller homes...ending up with a mouse family.

If you are looking for a longer read, 'The Children of Green Knowe' is set at Christmas time. If you haven't read it, this is an intermediate age book about a little boy who goes to stay with his greatgrandmother in an ancient family castle. Lots of magic, in the homespun sense. It's a great book at any time of year, but Christmas traditions are very much the backdrop for the plot.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  10:19:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh..Redbird Christmas is a wonderful one!!! I know you gals who havn't read it would love it!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  7:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Jenny, I just noticed you have reached 5000 posts!!! Surely that makes you the "most posted" farmgirl!!
Congratulations!!
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  9:29:09 PM  Show Profile
Julia - every Christmas for as long as I can remember, my mother has read "A Child's Christmas in Wales," to us, and many years ago when the video version came out, she purchased that, and it's just wonderful. It follows the book almost exactly, and I still love both of them just as much each year.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  03:53:47 AM  Show Profile
My father has an old record of Dylan Thomas reading "A Child's Christmas in Wales", which is absolutely lovely to listen to. Of course, we don't have a "record player" anymore. I didn't know there was a video! Neat!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  10:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Hello, everyone. To all the gals who mentioned Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory", a big farmgirl hug and thanks.....found it at Borders bookstore last week and it even has a narrative CD included! What a lovely book with dear illustrations; a definite pull out and read every year! You guys are the greatest. Nance

Accidentally posted this in another spot so I wanted to make sure ya'll were properly thanked!
Go to Top of Page

koolaidqueen
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Julie
Sherwood Michigan
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  11:40:07 AM  Show Profile
Hello, all. Another fun booklist! I have to say Kim in NC and I are on the "same page"!! I just pulled The Best Christmas Pageant Ever off the shelf at the library, where I work, honestly!Other favorites are Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden, The Christmas tree by Julie Salamon, and for those nonfiction fans, the Betty Crocker Best Christmas Cookbook and Marcia Adam's Christmas in the Heartland. Here's one for you all...I played Suzy Snowflake by Arthur Godfrey for my storytime children...Some of you are having flashbacks, aren't you?

Julie...Official Farmgirl, Gardener, Stitcher, County Fair girl, and lots of other stuff!!
"I love the way libraries smell." -That Wild Berries Should Grow by Gloris Whelan
Go to Top of Page

GRITSgal
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Jamie
Cave Spring Georgia
44 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  06:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Send GRITSgal an AOL message  Send GRITSgal a Yahoo! Message
I would recommend "christmas box" by Richard Paul Evans. it s cute short novel and very touching too. they got series after this novel.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  07:16:02 AM  Show Profile
Nance,
I posted pictures on my blog of the Christmas memory and Thanksgiving memory, did you see them? These were from along time ago. Do the books still look the same?
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  11:47:56 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo .... nope, haven't taken a peek lately so will do so forthwith! Back in a flash. Nance
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  11:55:58 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, well, so much for being back in a flash... never did find any photos of old Christmas books...but did see alot of neat stuff. I remember reading Eight Cousins, but it was a more recent edition. Nance
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Christmas reading Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page