ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  09:17:25 AM  Show Profile
So we're officially tired of turkey in this house. There were only 4 of us at Thanksgiving dinner (one of whom is a two-year-old), and I bought the smallest kosher turkey I could find, but it weighed in at 13 pounds. We sent a bunch of leftovers home with my FIL and ate Thanksgiving leftovers all day Friday and Saturday, but now we're done. The side dishes are all but gone. The only thing left is the chillover and there's a little bit of cranberry sauce left for turkey sandwiches, and I've officially made the turkey go away. Yesterday, I sliced all the meat off fo the breasts for sandwiches and put one bag in the fridge and one in the freezer. I took all the meat off the carcass, the remaining leg, thigh and wing bones, and diced it up and put it in 3 freezer bags, 2 cups in each. The bones are currently simmering on the stove with an onion and a bay leaf to make soup stock that I will also freeze. The roasting pan and platter have been through the dishwasher. I plan not to even look at anything resembling turkey for at least another week except for maybe a sandwich or two.

I'll probably use one of the bags of diced turkey and some of the stock for turkey & sausage gumbo, and I might take the other two bags and make kosher non-dairy turkey tetrazzini (I modified Christopher Kimball's recipe by leaving out the parmesan and using soy milk and Earth Balance margarine instead of milk and butter). Or I might do something else. The stock will likely be used for the gumbo as well as for either mushroom barley soup or split pea white bean soup with barley.

What are the farmgirls' ideas for what to do with leftover turkey? I'm specifically looking for ideas that are total reinventions of turkey that have nothing to do with the flavors Thanksgiving, such as casseroles or stews that have bold spices. Anything that involves throwing a bunch of thanksgiving side dishes in a casserole together and drying it out in the oven just grosses me out. (Rachael Ray suggests doing this...layering turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, and cranberries in a casserole and baking it together...yuck).

Edited by - ivmeer on Nov 30 2008 09:26:52 AM

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  10:02:40 AM  Show Profile
I make turkey pot pie. I use the dark meat which none of us like to eat plain and chop it up. I add in any leftover peas and carrots and add some lima beans and mix it with leftover gravy. (Iusually make a lot of gravy specifically for this.) I use some pie crust and bake it in the oven. I serve it with leftover cranberry sauce and left over rolls.

I have also made Turkery croquettes. I grind up leftover turkey, celery and onion in the food prcessor and combine with either leftover mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes. Make little patties and dredge in a combination of breadcrumbs and parmesean cheese. I then lightly fry them in olive oil. I also saute some muchrooms and mix with leftover gravy adn pour a little bit over teh croquettes. Yum! It is a totally different flavor.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  11:26:29 AM  Show Profile
We always did turkey noodle soup, just like chicken, but with turkey instead. We loved it.

Our favorites were-

Those frozen/home made noodles (thick!), with cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup added, turkey, and what ever veggies mom had in the house, we lived corn and peas best! lol

And oriental was my mom's favorite-light egg type noodles (like no yolks), with mixed frozen asian veggies-mushrooms, waterchestnuts, broccoli, etc. Turkey. And sorry it is heavily spiced with ginger and garlic. But, you could use what ever spices your family likes and as little or as much as your family likes.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  12:48:50 PM  Show Profile
I like to make it up just like a tuna casserole but with turkey.. Also, if you have any of the better canned chicken noodle soups, like the chunky ones, put a bunch of turkey in them . Makes the canned soup a lot better.I take out the chicken that they put in, because I don't like it.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  1:55:49 PM  Show Profile
My Mom always made turkey hash and put refrigerated biscuits on top. Yummmmm... DH has never cared for that...sigh...so now I just make a bunch of turkey rice soup and freeze in two serving batches.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Turkey Pot Pie is our favorite. Last summer when I did my canning, I canned a canner full of mixed vegetables. I Make a thick gravy with some of the turkey stock that I made today. Drain a pint of the mixed veggies and add a cup or so of cubed turkey. Goes together real quick. Then I make a batch of biscuits and pour the turkey/veggie/gravy over the biscuit.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  5:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Turkey Soup, Fresh Noodles & Turkey Soup & more soup..Enough...? Freeze it. We have still got a bit left. None of the add ons.. Just turkey.. & a tiny bit of cranberry orange sauce. One more sandwich and I will look like a turkey!

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  7:08:30 PM  Show Profile
The best sandwich - sara lee or equiv. dinner rolls, sliced open - drizzle on some Fischer and Weiser Raspberry-Chipotle sauce (I get it at the grocery store), some pieces of sliced turkey. It just tastes great, and kind of exciting! For a few days after T-giving, I have one for breakfast, one for lunch...
I could NOT drag out each container of leftover everything and make a plate - thankfully, the 4 men (husband, sons) I live with, can.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  7:34:18 PM  Show Profile
We were such a small group this year we didn't do a turkey - I know - gasp!

But, in the past I've made pot pies, soup base, quiche. Soup was the biggest because DD like to take it for lunch.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  08:21:06 AM  Show Profile
I use Ina Garten's recipe for "chicken stew with biscuits" and substitute the turkey for chicken. It is delicious, healthy and one meal by itself. I have my friends come over on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and serve this. They love it and it uses up our leftover turkey, after we had turkey sandwiches that is!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making the turkey go away Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page