Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Black Friday Shopping~ Did You Go??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Black Friday Shopping~ Did You Go?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

HeathersStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  06:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Send HeathersStitches a Yahoo! Message
Did any of you go out yesterday?

I went with my mom to a quilt store in Bremen OH and then to a great country store in Lancaster OH for the open house. Bought some great fabric and my mom bought a huge quilt hanger for her wall.
We then came back to my house for leftovers..YUMMO!!

http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  06:52:08 AM  Show Profile
My cousin and I ventured out starting at 3:30 AM and didn't stop until 3:30 PM..no joke. We went to Kohls and got almost all of our shopping done there. I got quite a few bargains at different places and now I've got to go and get wrapping paper, etc for some stuff. I think next year we are seriously going to rent a larger vehicle. We had to make several trips to drop stuff at her house to make room for more stuff. It was quite a sight and we were laughing and joking the whole time. Even though we had all that stuff, we honestly didn't spend as much as years past. We actually got more for our money and did a lot more bargain shopping. I cut out a lot in my Christmas list. At my full time job, we drew names, but we give the person a toy. Then all the toys get donated to charity. That way there is no pressure on buying something that the person likes/hates/regifts.

I've got 3 more presents to buy and I'm done...now the hard part..wrapping!

Jessica
Blog: http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Etsy: http://kyphotography.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  07:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We all stayed home with family. My grandparents were driven up from Laramie to my parent's house in Worland by my dad on Thanksgiving day, and they are being driven back down today by my mom. So we spent yesterday having fun and just hanging out as a family.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  07:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Nope! I ordered something on the computer for my hubby but that was it. Everything else I give this year will be handmade.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  08:02:32 AM  Show Profile
You won't catch me fighting crowds like that. Yicks. Though some of the deals are good! I guess I don't mind missing out on the deals. I am making most, and buying a bit. I did order some beads Friday morning! I don't think that counts though!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  08:04:36 AM  Show Profile
I never go to this, but this year JoAnn's had fleece for $2.99 a yard (the kind I use in my business) plus a 20% off sale coupon, so I reluctantly drug myself out of bed to go for a 6 am opening. I live about 25 miles away, so I got there about 15 minutes late and it was an absolute zoo. The line at the cutting counter was ridiculous, people had multiple shopping carts full of fabric waiting to be cut - I would estimate I was looking at about a 3 hour wait to just get my fabric cut - then there was the checkout line which already stretched from the checkstands all the way down to the end of the store and around the corner. I just left - I like a good sale, but my time is also worth something. I just didn't have it in me to spend my whole day in there.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  08:12:56 AM  Show Profile
Nope. This year the whole family is cutting back and this doesn't require much shopping, thank goodness. I am still doing my usual of making everything homemade. Was tempted by the Joann's fleece sale but knew I would be very frustrated and instead stayed home and knit all day and watched old movies. It was grand to have a do-nothing type of day after a nice gathering on Thursday.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  08:38:40 AM  Show Profile
I looked thru the sale papers hoping for something to catch my eye and make in necessary to be out at that hour...but only saw maybe two door buster items and I know from experience that those are usually gone by the time you get in the store. I had to pick up chickens in the next town, and passed a Tractor Supply. It was about 3pm and the Husker game was on television so I knew the stores would be empty(you have to live in Nebraska to understand), and sure enough, TS was a tomb. Bought myself some nice tops-25% off and a couple Breyer Horse items for my daughter 25% off. Really, you can get some of your best deals online if your diligent and you never have to leave the house...and shipping is usually free this time of year so no added costs. My shopping is pretty much done, just have TONS of sewing to do!

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  09:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I had to work yesterday morning so by the time I got there, the stores were sold out of everything I was after.
The corney thing about it was the few gifts I had left to buy weren't even on sale. I was going for stuff my mom wanted for gifts.
I'm the only one brave enough in our family to fight those crowds. LOL There is no way I am doing this next year!

Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  11:26:02 AM  Show Profile

No shopping in big stores on Friday. Most of them are at least 30 to 40 minutes away from us. I'm trying to do almost all my shopping in second hand and antique stores and at small craft fairs they have locally. I want to put less of my money in the big economy and more in my local area and support individuals rather than conglomerates. We have some good local artist and crafts people and Vermont is full of old stuff in antique and second hand shops. I also send local cheese, choclates and maple syrup to folks!
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  6:39:27 PM  Show Profile
I did not go out for Christmas shopping but for my usual bi weekly grocery shopping as Friday was payday. I am cutting back. I made most of my Christmas stuff this year and can't afford to spend much.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  6:47:43 PM  Show Profile
I did get out to Kohl's..it was busy..of course. But..I managed to find a nice big jar candle regular price $9.99 for $3.99 in a nice sugar cookie scent. 8 towels regular price $7.99 per bath towel for $2.49 each, and 2 sets of 10 wash cloths each set regular $9.99 for $2.99 each. I only spent $32 even for everything (20 wash cloths, 8 bath towels and a large candle)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  8:18:09 PM  Show Profile
I usually do go out and stand in line before the stores open on Black Friday, but this year we are down to just my daughter and my DH and myself so there wasn't anything to go out to get.
We really don't need much, so I'm ordering a really nice belt buckle for my daughter through the 4-H catalog at the extension office then just a few other items and mark her done. For my husband, he wants a free standing drill press, so he is going to have to pick it out so I know he's happy with it since we live at least 35 miles from Lewiston. Don't want to be making a trip to return something he doesn't like and won't fit his needs.

I have had some great times in the past with my mother out shopping when sensible people are still in bed. A couple years ago when my son was still in this part of the country we had a great mother/son time shopping so early.
BTW, I have his all ready to box and send, that's why I didn't mention him above.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  8:50:19 PM  Show Profile
no way! not me! LOL

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9326 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9326 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  9:00:58 PM  Show Profile
YES! My daughter and I left early but not with the 3am crowd. We got to the mall around 5 and still got great deals. Then my husband and I went later in the morning to a mall closer to home and found more good sales. We are about done and managed to get some nice things for not a lot of money. That's always a plus. We got shopping for our son's birthday done then too.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  10:25:35 PM  Show Profile
Since I get paid weekly, and shop weekly.
My son and I went late Friday evening to Super Target to grocery shop more than anything. It was a ghost town by that time.
I also shopped for my Angel tree little boy at that time too, and it was great. No crowds, no waiting, no rushing through it. I got to enjoy every second of picking out little boy things to stuff in the coat pocket.

The only deal I snagged was the coat for this little boy was dirt cheap at Macy's yesterday morning, and I got my Mom to pick it up for me while she was there getting her Angel Tree little boy's coat. So, I didn't even have to go!

The other deal I snagged was one online for my son's computer. Some memory something or other was usually fifty bucks, and I got it for fifteen.

I thought about buying the Gilmore Girls dvd's etc. for dirt cheap, but decided I didn't need them that badly this year.
Perhaps next year if things are better, I will be more in the mood to shop for bargains.
I just didn't have it in me this year.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  03:19:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh we braved the masses, but not at the early hours. And really the only reason we ventured out was because hubby needed his special green tea he only buys at the Mekong Chinese market in Greensboro.

To us it was like shopping on a Saturday. Typical traffic and a few crowds. Target was a bit uncomfortable but not intolerable.

No major purchases yet.. We'll probably wait for the income tax check, then splurge on either Dish or a new TV
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  06:28:05 AM  Show Profile
I went to Lowe's that opened at 6 AM ET. I had to park quite a distance from the store, but the crowd wasn't that bad. There were plenty of employees eager to help and all the check out lanes were open, so I just walked right through one--no waiting. I go a 3 1/2 qt. Rival Crock Pot for $9.99, a Black and Decker tall storage cabinet for $39, and a few Christmas decorations that were 25% off. I was in and out in 20 minutes. Then I had to wait 40 minutes for Kroger to open.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  06:39:48 AM  Show Profile
No, no, and no, no, no

For good or bad, I've never, ever liked crowds (for the most part), so I've never been shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. My daughter, my born-to-shop child, goes every year with 3 of her cousins. It's their annual thing to do, and they have a blast without the moms along.

Me? I stay home and putter around in my jammies all day. I fill the bird feeders, read a book I've put aside for that day, fix a big pot of no-alarm chili, and watch college football.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!

Edited by - happymama58 on Nov 30 2008 06:40:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  07:25:05 AM  Show Profile
No, No, No. I did that about 6 years ago and vowed, never again. I don't like to go to Wal-mart (that is the only store we have) on an ordinary day, let alone black Friday. I did all my shopping from Penzeys and Cabelas Catalogs. I will go to the grocery store 2 or 3 times between now and Christmas. Will have to go to Wal-Mart a couple of times just for needed walmart stuff. But I will pick my time and will not stand in line out in the cold just to get in the door.

I guess everyone has heard on the news about the Wal-Mart employee that was trampled to death by the croud trying to get to electronics.
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  07:31:09 AM  Show Profile
No, I did not go. I am not a huge fan of chaos and crowds..I have been shopping the whole year and purchased some items online. This is the first year separated and with my two daughters we need to cut back a bit. Some sales are very tempting though!
Laura

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  07:37:52 AM  Show Profile
This was the first year in a LOOOOOOOGGGGGG time that I didnt go. Money is tight and I put somethings on layaway at my local Kmart and finished then. So I went through a little bit of a depression about not going. But in the long run it will be ok.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  08:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Nah, that would have meant a "special" trip to town at least a 90 mile round trip. Mom is going to Cedar City with the Senior Bus on Wednesday and she'll do her shopping. Cindy shops online and I'll probably go with Bev on the Senior bus to St George to do my shopping.

This year, we actually have a little to spend on Christmas... a change from past years.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 6 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

HeathersStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  08:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Send HeathersStitches a Yahoo! Message
WOW Ladies!

I heard of 2 bad things happening around the US.

We are trying to help more little shops out here, a couple just opened up here in town and I'm ready to check them out!

http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  09:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We did the name-draw for family last night, and I went to ETSY last night and found some things that might be just perfect! And very reasonable prices too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  09:51:34 AM  Show Profile
I did not go shopping on Friday. There is no way that I would fight the crowds. I am either making all my gifts this year or buying handmade.

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Black Friday Shopping~ Did You Go?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page