Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Help! Dog urine smell in carpet.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help! Dog urine smell in carpet. Next Topic  

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  08:18:01 AM  Show Profile
We adopted a coonhound from the humane society and we are all getting used to each other. took him out four times but he opted to pee in the corner. Now it smells like he peed in the corner. Any ideas that will not include bleach, new carpet or lots of chemicals? I used vinegar but it didn't seem to do much good. I also tried another natural cleaner with alcohol and it seemed to help but any suggestions would be appreciated.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  08:26:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh those hounds! I have a beagle who did the same thing...I use an enzimatic cleaner (to break down the urine proteins), then I steam clean the area. I will also put straight baking soda on it to soak it up first, then remove it, and make a paste out of fresh and sortof "push" it into the carpet with a sponge.

We just got rid of our one piece of carpet in the living area, and with 4 dogs, I can say, I don't miss these messes. Good luck--but keep watching him, and make loud sounds whenever he gets close to that corner again. Hounds are notorious for territory.
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  08:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Kathryn I used to have a blue tick coonhound, oh I loved him!! I dont know what would work besides baking soda paste. Goodluck with your new baby!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  08:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Kathryn, I just read this morning in my Country Living book (by Carla Emery) that baking soda works great for pet urine spots. I've never tried this (wish I'd had the book when our dog was a pup) but it says to put the baking soda on the spot and let it dry, then vaccuum it all up. Let us know what you try and if it works, okay?

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  08:48:58 AM  Show Profile
Mix up 8oz peroxide, 1tsp baking soda, 1 squirt of liquid hand soap, it will do the trick! I've used it on carpet and futniture, it has never bleached any color out, but don't save it, just mix up as you use it.
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  08:52:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks gals. I will give those things a try. He is supposed to be five but seems younger. He has watered two different corners now. Cutest dog you ever saw but I hate cleaning up messes!

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

apronann
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Ann
Camdenton mo
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  10:28:53 AM  Show Profile
I've used a solution of cream of tartar and peroxide for cat stains with some success. They sell good enzymatic solution at the pet store- it's nearly magic- and I used that for my new puppy years ago. If I had that problem today that's what I would do.

Go in the direction of your dreams- live the life you imagine...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  5:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I just found a product called Fresh Wave at our Greenlife grocery store today. There was someone here that talked about it but I can't find the thread now. It's also in the Aug-Sept issue of MJF on page 17. There are lots of different products and some for pets, too. It's all natural. I have 3 dogs in the living room in crates and it stinks. So I thought I'd try this. It's a container of gel-like stuff that's supposed to suck up the odors. I put it on the floor in front of the crate and so far it's good. I also put baking soda in their beds. Hopefully that will help, too.

I'd throw the dogs out but 2 of them are 11 1/2 years old. And they've started to have accidents. So I have to put newspapers down. No more after they're gone! It's too disgusting.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  06:22:29 AM  Show Profile
THis may sound weird...but along the lines of the enzyme stuff, we have some "Barn Odor Destoyer" (that's actually what it's called) here. Its used for breaking down manure/smells in the barn. I've used that with cat urine and it seemed to work well. I get mine at the local chicken hatchery, but you could probably pick it up at any farm supply. Good Luck!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen

http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help! Dog urine smell in carpet. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page