Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Looking for a potato salad recipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for a potato salad recipe Next Topic  

hanlonfive
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Kelli
Galion Ohio
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  6:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Send hanlonfive a Yahoo! Message
I used to have a next door neighbor a long time ago make a potato salad that was out of this world! The potatoes were "shredded" (in long strips) and it had an unmistakeable vinegar taste. She told me that she had learned to make it from a local amish woman that she had known. Before I had the chance to ask for the recipe, her family moved:(

Any help in locating this recipe would be much appreciated!

Kelli

"Not all who wander are lost".

Visit my blog!
http://2dreamlucid.blogspot.com

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  8:31:18 PM  Show Profile
I dont know if this is what you are looking for, but, my recipe, has a unmistaken vinegar smell and flavor, it also has either cubed potatoes or shredded.
Here goes;
Boil as many potatoes as you would need, mine are usually 7 or 8...Cool, peel, shred on a grater or cube.
Than add "Sour Dilly Pickles", oh about 4 or 5, mince real fine(I use a food chopper),
add Dill weed, oh, about 2 teaspoons(I usually dont use any measuring utensils, so I am guessing....)
Then add salt and peper to taste....I then add mayonnaise with some pickle juice added to make it a little thinner than the regular mayonnaise, oh about....1 1/2 cups...
Mix refrigerate and enjoy...
One needs to taste, taste, taste, to see if it is the way you like.
Hope this helps....

Farmgirl Sister #368
Please visit my new blog....
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  10:02:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kelli,
I checked the Amish cookbook I have but it didn't say to shred the potatoes. I'll give it to you as maybe that would be the only difference.
3 lbs potatoes
3 stalks celery
1/2 onion
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 C mayonnaise
1 C sour cream
Cook potatoes in salted water until tender; drain and cool. Peel potatoes and cut into small squares. Cut celery and onion into very small pieces and add to potatoes; set aside. In saucepan, mix together sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves; remove from heat. Cool. Stir in mayonnaise and sour cream. Toss sour cream mixture with potatoes, celery and onion. If salad is too dry, cream may be added. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Now that one doesn't sound very vinegary so I looked in my Shaker cookbook and found this recipe:
6 medium potatoes, cooked in skins
3 slices bacon
1 medium-sized onion, minced
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
1 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 C vinegar
1 Tbsp parsley, minced
3 Hard-cooked eggs
2 Bunches leaf lettuce, crisped
Boil potatoes in the skins. When just cool enough to peel, remove skins and slice fine. Try out finely cut bacon. Add onion, minced fine; simmer until golden but not brown. Add salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar to hot bacon fat. Heat and turn this hot dressing over warm potatoes. Turn salad on a bed of lettuce leaves and sprinkle generously with minced parsley; dress up the salad with quarters of hard-cooked eggs. This served with cold meat and cheese is a mighty satisfactory supper. Serves 6. Amelia's Shaker Recipes.

I'm sorry this was so long, but I figured I'd put both in one post. Hopefully you'll find something that tastes like what you long for. If not, maybe between all the recipes you get you can concoct your own recipe. Best of luck.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for a potato salad recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page