Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 REAL Eggs!!!!! Happy Happy, Joy Joy!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic REAL Eggs!!!!! Happy Happy, Joy Joy!! Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  5:25:05 PM  Show Profile
I found a guy today that is selling real farm fresh eggs for $2.00 a dozen!!!!And he's only about 8 miles from me!!! I am so happy!

I was on my way home today and out of the corner of my eye I saw a little sign that said fresh eggs. I slammed on my brakes, turned the car around as fast as I could and drove down the road looking for another sign. I was almost doing a happy dance in the car. I found the house, saw a guy in the driveway, jumped out of the car, ran up to him and asked him if he had any eggs left. He said he had about 40 dozen eggs at the moment. I almost hugged him right there! I am not joking, ya'll. I was so happy to have found him. He must have thought I was crazy. He said he has them at the little store up the road, too, so if he's not home I can get them there. And all the change I had was $3.99. Can you believe it? He even said not to worry, if I didn't have it all I could give it to him next time. I called some of my friends and told them there is still hope for us all. There are still egg laying hens in this valley. We will survive now! We can eat eggs again and all will be well.

Can ya'll tell how relieved I am to have found this most wonderful amazing person who actually can make a chicken lay an egg? I am amazed and awed by him. I want to just sit at this man's feet and learn from him. Well, not really. But I would take some advice.

Anyway, it was a mighty fine day here in this wonderful valley. God is good indeed!

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Nov 25 2008 5:26:32 PM

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  03:38:32 AM  Show Profile
YEA!

Enjoy

Wow and I thought we were slammed when our firge brins with a pathetic 10 dozen.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  03:59:36 AM  Show Profile
Anna, I've been there before. And not a customer in sight. I know eggs keep a long time in the fridge with out being washed. I've had them out for a long time, too. If I get more chickens and ever get that many eggs again, I think I'll remember this DRY time and be more grateful. (I'll have to write it down somewhere, though!) That's why I like this forum. It's kind of like a little journal.

I am so thankful to have found this place to be able to have fresh, local eggs again.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  05:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm happy for you, Kristin. Your joy jumps out of your posting! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

mothergoose
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Richere
tiverton rhodeiland
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  04:32:29 AM  Show Profile
My dad says to turn the carton over each week so yolks stay centered..it works.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  7:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i just read a cool web site that told how they kept eggs for logn periods of time in the frontier days! they said to dip in shortening that has been heated then cooled to almost solid again, let dry rub off excess and repeat. here is the link to the website if anyone is intersted. http://www.kids-n-cowboys.com/frontier-foods.html peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  8:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so awesome! I am on the look out for someone selling eggs around here!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  12:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Yay! for you Kristin....I can't wait to have my own eggs... Course I have to get the chickens first.. ha! DH does have the chicken house 95% done..finally only needs the door.. & just before the snow flys here.... And we get our "girls" when we get back from Washington after Christmas. I found a lady who wants to get rid of a few young layers and she offered to be their chicken nanny til we go pick them up.. What a deal!! The were hatched in may of this year...

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Dec 12 2008 12:27:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  1:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Kristen, Good for you! The same thing happened to me just the other day...I'd been without since the Farmer's Market closed for the season. Same price too. We had an egg casserole just this morning. Yum.
Anyway, ENJOY~
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  6:17:50 PM  Show Profile
It is good to find a local person to buy eggs from. I still want to get more chickens next year. But right now there are 4 huge pigs out there that have totally torn up the whole chicken pasture. I'm going to take the pigs to butcher Jan. 14 and then the field will rest til it's able to be plowed up and reseeded. I want to do some research on the best type of grass, or whatever it's called, for chickens. Then I will get more hens. It'll be nice to take a little break from them for awile.

I just don't wash my eggs and they last for several weeks out. If they need washed they go in the fridge. They have a protective coating on the shell that preserves them for long periods of time.

Just a few more weeks, Cheryl, and you'll be a "chicken mama"! What kind are they? Have you ever had chickens before? There's a good article in Countryside this month about raising chickens in winter.

And egg casserole sounds interesting.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  7:48:14 PM  Show Profile
We'll headed for a dry spell here too. My ISA Browns are about done laying, getting old, and I just hatched my replacements Buff Orpingtons a few weeks ago. Looks like we'll be short on eggs til Spring. Maybe can use the Phoenix eggs for ourselves,tho they are small, and show birds, but an egg is an egg.Just wont have any to sell.Lost my Phoenix rooster, so eggs wont be fertile anyway...Hadnt planned for such a hard start to winter here in N.Mich, so will have baby chicks in the house for a while longer than I planned again!!hah Last year I had 15 ducklings in my sewing room, and then along came the triplet goat orphans. so 8 chickens wont be too bad I dont think.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  7:57:35 PM  Show Profile
I have to keep my chickie babies in the house, too. I have way too many cats here. I used to keep them out in the milk room. But there are places up at the top where critters can get in that I didn't know about. I had 50 babies in there a few years ago and came home to a mass murder scene. I lost about 25. And so from then on they have been inside til they get big enuf to go out. It sure is nasty, but it's got to be done.

I've never heard of the Phoenix.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

mothergoose
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Richere
tiverton rhodeiland
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  07:01:38 AM  Show Profile
Congrats to getting the new chickens and having them "babysat".As much as we would like to say otherwise we also spend more on our chickens then it would cost to buy the eggs.Definetly a luxury to have chickens. We tried to have chicks in the house but with my asthma that did not work so we have a coop just for chicks.We fence part of the chicken yard off just for them,So they all get used to each other.By about 3 months we take down the fence and they mix with all the chickens.By September they are moved out of chick coop and it is cleaned and made ready for next batch the next spring.We have 3 4x4 coops with attached nesting boxes With a enclosed wire mesh area under and in back of coops.The roof covers the whole 4x9"coop"so that you are not standing in rain collecting eggs.It works great for me because I am standing outside to clean them except for when I climb inside them to disinfect them.My family keeps saying they are going to film that event but so far no one has been around on my "super clean-out days!But in general a few strokes of the hoe and scraper gets the job done most days...About once or twice a week.We found out they have been laying eggs the last couple of weeks...under the coop???They found a way through the mesh blocking the access under.
Go to Top of Page

stacyluu
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

stacy
tuttle oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  7:54:19 PM  Show Profile
k-sher...you sound sooo excited!...farm fresh eggs are something to be happy about!..their color, taste can't compare to storebought!..when i read your chat..i was truly joyful for you!..i only get about 3 fresh eggs a day, but i stare at them, and show them off like i laid them myself!!...good for you!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  8:01:52 PM  Show Profile
I know. I did too. When my hens were slowing down and I'd get one after a few days, I'd be so happy, like I found a golden egg or something. It's strange what makes us happy anymore. A fresh egg, good dirt, baby goats jumping around, plain ole farm stuff. Never would have thought these things would be such a pleasure.

And hello, Stacy, don't think I've met you yet.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  3:29:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kristin! congrats on your find...that is exciting! Our chickens have quit laying for the season, I think. It's been about a month, and it just killed me when I had to buy some from the store, Yuk! We lost two of our five chickens to foxes this year, but I'm waiting till Spring to get more. I can hardly wait though! Take care. Di

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  7:47:08 PM  Show Profile
That's really interesting about the protective coating on the shell. I was wondering how long fresh eggs keep. I noticed that our eggs, even though my kids may leave them outside accidentally for a few extra days, have all been perfectly fine. That's even in the heat of the summer.

I also remember a few years back, buying eggs from an older Mennonite lady. She would have dozens and dozens just piled up, not refrigerated. When I came to buy she would pull them out and then wash them. That's probably why, I guess.

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  6:17:30 PM  Show Profile
I have kept unwashed eggs for weeks out of the fridge and they are fine. I used to keep them out in the "cat and dog" room but decided they should probably be kept inside in the pantry where it's a little cooler. If they are dirty I'll wash them before I sell them. But that doesn't bother me and really didn't bother most people, but they looked better.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  9:47:23 PM  Show Profile
How do you girls do it? I get so attached to my animals, I will cry for days if my hen doesn't make it through the night. I only have 14, maybe if there were more, or maybe if I didn't give them names, I just don't have the tough skin you all have. I guess that is what makes you true farmgirls!
I thought that having chickens would be easy and nonstressfull, but all I do is worry about them. I think I'm better at gardening, at least I don't cry when I kill a plant! And I can eat my garden veggies....no problem....
I guess it all comes down to education, I worry because I don't know what I'm doing, right or wrong. I wish there was a farmgirl somewhere out here to come and do a "drive-by"!
I am still waiting for eggs...I've never had a fresh one...never! I can't imagine how good they will taste poached! Good for you Kris...

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  1:04:36 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, how did it go with your chickies when you let them out? I didn't hear anything and was wondering if you've even done it yet. Let us know.

Kris

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic REAL Eggs!!!!! Happy Happy, Joy Joy!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page