Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Wedding Plans Next Topic  

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  1:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies ~ I am so excited!!! After nearly 20 years as a single (and quite happy) single gal, I have finally met the man of my dreams.... and we are getting married January 3 (yup 2009).

While it will be a very small wedding with mostly our family in attendance, I would love to make this wedding a very special one. My first one was quickly thrown together on a less than shoe string budget and I have always regretted it.

While this one is also very quick and on a less than shoe string budget, I want to do everything I can to make it special.

While a summer wedding would have been great, with a cookout and party, it is just not in the works for us... so we are looking for any ideas you might have that ~ maybe something that made yours special.

Thanks for your help.

Debi (and Kenneth)

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  1:39:22 PM  Show Profile
You should have a peachy themed wedding cake because of GA, and make it harvest type decorations. Bushel baskets w/ flowers, jars of peach preserves for wedding favors...for that matter, use nice mason jars for vases, and use half pints for something small, like even drinks. You could have peach wine too!
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  7:50:12 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations! Why not a New Years theme.. Where will you be married?

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  05:32:57 AM  Show Profile
Debi,

Congrats!!!
There's so much you can do yourself. I've been helping a friend w/some of the details on hers. Hers is Feb 5th. I went to Michael's & was amazed at all they had. Plus using their 40% off coupons is great. They have invite kits (just print your own message inside), thank you cards,unity candles, you name it, & more, a lot were on sale. One was $7 for a set of 40 invites. Target & Walmart also sell a lot of this stuff too. I did a lot on my own wedding too. Even the bouquets. I bought a pamphlet on that & just bought silk flowers. Much less than fresh & it will last forever. I borrowed a friends dress.

Since it'll be an intimate setting, why not have a family style dinner. Something like lasagna can be made well ahead of time, is filling & not too expensive. You could even do a veggie version. Have salad & garlic bread sticks. You could do an italian cream wedding cake (which a lot grocery stores do wedding cakes too) or have a family member make a cake.

If you're wanting ideas to spend less, have just simple finger foods. my friend is having a morning wedding. She'll be having meat, fruit, cheese, & veggie trays, cookies, a candy bar, & a wedding cake made out of cupcakes. You could do something similar. The possibilities are limitless.

I'm not sure where you'll have the wedding or reception, but candles can be used at low cost. With Christmas having just ended before yours, lots of silver, white, & gold candles will be on sale.

Give us some more ideas as far as what you would like to have: setting, themes, location, colors, your likes & dislikes. I know you will get lots of help!
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  3:25:14 PM  Show Profile
What truly made my wedding special was WHO was there not WHAT we had, so don't stress over it to much. We also did my wedding as inexpensive as possible and it was still lovely. Kelly gave you lots of great advise...we also used Michaels for LOTS of our decorations. One thing I've never regretted is doing silk flowers. I use my bouquet to decorate with 4 years later and the cost was literally 1/4 of the cost of real flowers. I bought the flowers at Michaels but I paid them to actually make the bouquets and boutineers. I think total was around $80-$100. Good luck with everything....ENJOY YOUR DAY AND CONGRATULATIONS
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  6:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Debi!

We got some simple wooden frames on sale at the dollar store and covered the cardboard backing with some of those cheap (but pretty for a time) sateen broacade napkins in my color (Red). We then bought little rose bud bowls from the dollar store, filled them with rock salt and buried those battery operated votives in the salt. It was very beautiful and created a simple glow at the center of the tables.

You can also get some very nice silk flowers at places like Hobby Lobby on sale.

What colors are you thinking of what so far do you have planned?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  05:15:16 AM  Show Profile
I helped my neice with her wedding a couple years ago and got alot of stuff and ideas from eBay.
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2008 :  6:35:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh how exciting. Congratulations! I agree with Misty that it's not what you have but who is there, even if it's just the two of you. I have noticed lately that simple is in. I like the weddings that I have been to which aren't overdone. Sounds like you know about herbs and could use some of the old fashioned meanings of different herbs for decorations etc. I am a lover of rosemary and I know brides use rosemary halos in some cultures but I don't quite remember why. Isn't it great to have all the resources we do with the internet. I wish you the best and hope you have the wedding of your dreams with the man of your dreams. Best Wishes,

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Edited by - barnagainkristin on Nov 27 2008 6:40:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  10:56:29 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your wedding - Perhaps you are on a honeymoon as I write this?
I hope that everything came together for your special day as you had hoped, but more importantly, I hope that your marriage is wonderful! Wedding planning is so much fun, but what happens after the wedding is what makes history!

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
www.forresterfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Wedding Plans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page