Lauram
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Laura
Moneta VA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  2:50:40 PM  Show Profile

On the farm we bought there is an old tobacco barn on the property. The foundation isn't in great shape. It has a dirt floor and the roof is in great shape. First of all, has anyone restored a tobacco barn before? And also, will it be cool enough to store fruit from my orchard but dry enough to dry flowers and herbs? Since it's a tobacco barn there are logs to hang things from the ceiling.

Thanks!

Laura

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  3:02:44 PM  Show Profile
hi laura .. i haven't done this .. but when i next go to town .. i'll ask some old timers who might have done this and report back to you. since the tobacco buy-out .. there are lots of abandoned farms here in kentucky. i think it is one of the loveliest sights along a country road. love all the faded old colors i see .. weather-worn greys, whites, black, reds. we even have a gorgeous old 'forest green' one down this way. i would 'think' it would be dry enough to dry flowers and herbs .. unless you live in a particularly rainy area. but since tobacco dried in them .. seems it would be a pretty good bet they would do well. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Lauram
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Laura
Moneta VA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  05:34:15 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, you are so sweet to ask around for me! We spoke to someone last night who has a Bobcat and knowledge about reinforcing foundations and he is going to help us with that. In fact, he is going to help fix a post and replace the door on our bigger barn too. Guess I'll be baking him some cookies! LOL!!! Anyway, let me know what you find out. I thought about it later and realized it was a stupid question about drying herbs and flowers in that barn because it was designed for drying. DUH Laura! :) I am hoping it will be cool enough so I can store produce of baskets there until I have a chance to dehydrate, can and freeze.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  8:34:15 PM  Show Profile
Laura,
You are too funny. You made me chuckle. I haven't restored a tobacco barn, but my thought (for what its worth) is if the building is good for drying, will it be good for storing fruit? I thought, no - but perhaps if you put a floor of sorts about three feet up from the ground it would be cooler and moister - or perhaps there is already a floor that you could put the fruit under? My sister lives in NC and she has an old tobacco barn on her property (as a mattr of fact, her son found a cannon ball used in the civil war on their property- keep a look out) but I can't remember what the floor on the inside looked like - maybe I was too busy looking up at all the things on the ceiling! Perhaps just digging a hole at one end of the dirt floor would be enough to keep the fruit cool. I really like dried apples. Homegrown fruit and preserves are the best. Sounds like you have a really nice place.

"Every morning's a beautiful morning!"
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2005 :  6:28:11 PM  Show Profile
Laura,
I just saw your posts and I hope that I'm not too late to respond to you. What would you like to restore your barn to? From reading your post, you sound like you would like to store fruit, dry flowers, etc. for sale. Some of the farmers that I have worked with here in KY are converting from a tobacco to a horse boarding facility. I've also seen one to convert to a floral business. You will need to change the dirt floor to something more permanent, like concrete. Decide if you would like to set up rooms and put up walls. This will be helpful if you need to set up an office. Be sure to check the wiring and assess your needs with lighting since most barns only have a handful of regular 70 (or so) watt lightbulbs to provide just enough light as you hang tobacco.

With winter time approaching, if you plan to use the inside of the barn, you are going to have to figure out how to get rid of wind drafts if you have an office.

One good thing with a tobacco barn is the slats hanging up all the way to the top. Have someone to check for sturdiness, etc. On one of the first levels, you may want to board up some plywood for a few of the places (like a square corner) and you can easily have a storage for trays and lightweight equipment!

Be sure that the gutters are working properly and cleaned out as well. Do an inspection on the roof as well to make sure there are no leaks.

Winter time is an excellent time to assess your needs. Check with your local agriculture extension agent in your county. They may know some folks that are undergoing these rennovations of tobacco barns as well.

I hope that this helps a little bit. If I see anything online with information, I will be sure to post it up.

Good luck,

Jessica~Miss Wilma's Niece
Go to Top of Page

Lauram
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Laura
Moneta VA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  12:06:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm actually wanting to use the barn to dry herbs and flowers, and also maybe create a root cellar. We need to fix the foundation and do some patching up. It's one of those notch log structures packed with the red clay we have here. Thank you for responding Jessica! I'll revive this post when we start fixing it up and keep everyone up on the progress! It might be awhile though, because our other barn needs a new door, plus we are currently building a house on the land, need to plant cover crops . . . the list can go on forever!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  03:37:45 AM  Show Profile
I have no clue about the barn....but sure have loved reading all the good advice. Laura, sounds like you've got a lot of good help.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  7:34:11 PM  Show Profile
2 words I love hearing...Cover Crops! Help prevents soil erosion and keeps the nutrients in the ground. I would love to hear about the progress of the barn as you come along!

Jessica~Miss Wilma's Niece
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  11:39:50 PM  Show Profile
In Australia we call them kilns, it would be fun to have one on a farm.
Go to Top of Page

dairygirl87
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Laura Ann
Clarence New York
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  10:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Send dairygirl87 an AOL message
Are you able to post pictures of your barn? My grandmother live is NC and she has a tobacco barn down the road from her and I was just wondering the layout of yours. Hers has LOTS of different things drying in it. Ill ask her to drop by and find out what works best in the barn.

-Laura Ann

"No race can prosper until it learns there is as much dignity in tilling a field as there is in writing a poem..."
Go to Top of Page

Lauram
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Laura
Moneta VA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  03:56:04 AM  Show Profile
Sure, I will have my husband take pictures of it and I'll post them. Thanks for asking your grandmother for me too!!
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Restoring Old Tobacco Barn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page