Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  12:31:03 PM  Show Profile
It's that time of year when we start to think about gift giving and hear the ring of those Salvation Army bells.

Think about keeping a pocket full of change or a few dollars in the ashtry of your vehicle.

In this same vein, I have a small story.

This past weekend our town had it's annual pottery festival. It's pretty well known and pulls from all over.

One family of potters could not be there themselves, as the studio and gallery burned to the ground Saturday night. Keep in mind pottery is the family's livelihood. But here's the kicker that got me off the dime and had me digging for all the loose dollars I could find. No matter the material losses, the family dog had also been caught in the inferno. The husband was grief stricken, as was I and every other dog lover who happened to talk about the incident.

I have only met these people a few times before, but felt prompted to do more.

So I got a little jelly gift basket together and included one of those stuffed animals that is filed with lavender and flax. Thought the little pup could provide a warm fuzzy literally......since it can be heated in the microwave.

The husband was closer to their dog, so the sentiment couldn't have been more perfect.

All this to say, we don't have to know people personally or need an excuse to spread a little joy into other's lives.

Sometimes we heap ashes onto our own heads and say oh wo is me....

Perhaps we don't have to get into the holiday funk if we spread a little love and joy into other's lives......especially if it is unexpected.

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  12:40:02 PM  Show Profile
I agree I have donated 2 quilts to raffle off for a family that has some horible med bills. It is some thing I love to do and really how many quilts can you have around the house.

I am not that great at quilt making but it sure felt good to be able to help some one with a quilt that up until then really never had a home. I have no idea it they sold but I hope that they got some moneys for there sad times.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  6:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Anna,
Good idea to keep change and cash in your pocket. I have also heard to carry in your car canned goods with pop tops for people begging at freeway exits and street corners. At least then we know they will have something in their stomachs on the cold winter nights.

barnagainkristin

Edited by - barnagainkristin on Nov 24 2008 6:55:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  10:31:07 AM  Show Profile
Giving is great thing to do to meet others....we give to families who get burned out and who are needy at this time of year....also, all year round....If we hear of one that isin need, we get together and go "do it"...

Farmgirl Sister #368
Please visit my new blog....We are looking at the question..."Are we as women really created to be his Helpmeet?"
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  11:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Giving is such a blessing.
I remember working at JC Penney's over the Christmas holidays one year. A lady walked up with a cute coat for a child. she asked me if I knew anything about boys.
She explained that she picked this boy off the Angel tree at work. He asked for a coat. Well she said she had to do more than give just a coat and what would I add if it were me?
I told her to make sure this little boy had mittens and a hat too. She said she already had that factored into the equation, and thought little boys needed the pockets of the coat filled up with treasures.
Having a little boy myself, and knowing how important their pockets are, I agreed. I suggested chapstick, hot wheels and legos.
She touched my heart so many years ago with her giddiness over this joy of giving, that this year I felt lead to pick up my own boys coat request at our church Angel tree.
It will be a challenge to fill this request. But I know the Lord is faithful,and the reward will be so worth it.
And please don't think I am trying to seek glory in this. I am not. If you knew me better, you would know, I would usually never even let on I was doing this.
My heart is just so glad right now, that I can finally help someone else, especially, this time of year.
I remember my Mom telling me that someday, giving will be much more important than receiving.
She was so right.
I don't care if I ever receive a gift ever again. I would much rather see others be blessed with a gift.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Nov 26 2008 11:40:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2008 :  01:02:15 AM  Show Profile
Kate (and others too) my Grandmama always told us it is better to give than to receive! I applaud y'all who give so freely of their time or whatever you have to give. If I see a Salvation Army bucket in town I always give.

Hugs!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic random acts of kindness Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page