happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  12:43:52 PM  Show Profile
This past week while waiting with dh at his surgeon's office, I read a magazine article that detailed the wardrobe necessary for working women. I was amazed at the number of items that were recommended, as well as the suggested wardrobe budget both for purchases and upkeep.

That made me wonder about my own wardrobe. I've been trying to simplify my life, including my clothes. I've discovered that, even though I hate to clothes shop and don't buy clothes very often, I've got more clothes than I think I really need. That leads me to my question(s):

In a simplified but not spartan lifestyle, what would be the number of various clothing items (jeans, nice skirts, dress pants, etc.) you feel are necessary for a woman who works outside the home?

What about for a woman who does not?

I realize there are no hard & fast categories, but what would you think would be comfortably adequate?

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  6:22:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Patti~
That's an interesting question. I live in LA where when you go out your dress is a statement. I have tried and simplified my wardrob, but I have so much still. But I am getting better. I think a lot of it just depends on who you are and what you do. I've gone through stages where I loved shoes, then handbags, the wallets...it's always something different. I have a fairly large wardrobe but I know others whose wardrobe is outragous. I don't know if I could answer that question. I guess I should go through my wardrobe and really ask myself that question....hhmmmmm...i'm getting better though!

Laura Marie #369
lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  6:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Patti~
We moved to a farm in Febuary. I have downsized 4 times in 4 yrs. W live in a very small house now and we have 1 outbuilding that I am using for storage. And I have somethings in my daughters storage unit. I am going to be downsizing yet again in the spring. I want to save my spare bedroom suit just in case we expand and put a room upstairs in the attic. I have given many cloths away and I have had a few yardsales in the last 2 yrs. But I cant seem to get rid of the many cloths I still have. I want to keep them because I hope to loose weight. I am not keeping ones that are 2 sizes to small...just the ones that are the next size smaller. I amreally a reformed packrat....My Mom was and still is.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  7:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well, for a college student/ stay at home mom I have several skirts, say maybe 3 or 4 at least for things like Church or farmgirl meetings. Then I have a couple of pairs of jeans at least 2, and a pair of nice black corduroys. The thing I struggle with is shirts. I need more shirts but they are always the first thing stained between me and Nora. Also I go through several shirts a day, especially if I pick up Nora and she has a wet diaper that gets my shirt damp.

But over all My husband has a dresser and I have a 1950's dresser (* drawers that are all tiny*) and a very small coat closet sized closet. It all fits. It's a tight squeeze with all the winter gear in the closet (it's the only closet in the house) but it does work.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  08:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh brother

My wardrobe if you can call it that pretty much either consists of jean material work clothes, jeans/t-shirts for home,and the occasional skirt/blouse. Pity to say I'm resigned to an LL Bean/Eddie Bauer type gal as opposed to some of those other nice stores with sizes that start at 0.

As much fun as fashion is, my body type sadly dictates what i must (comfortably)wear.

I have maybe 3 nice summer dresses and 2 winter skirts.

Sometimes it's hard to find what you want when you have been wearing the same thing for years and can't for the life of you find the quality and fit your old clothes provide. I'd give anything to update believe me.

And no one please take offense at this , but some days I get tempted to post in the want ads for a nice gay/flaming man with fashion sense who likes to shop and will drive my sorry butt while I pay for his meals in return. I love my husband and he likes to shop very much, but he too needs a little fashion boost sometimes, and I'm not the one to do it!
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  08:44:35 AM  Show Profile
My Lama once asked us how many pairs of shoes we owned and you could see all the minds shifting to their closets. He was trying to make a point about how all the stuff we own is also in our minds and taking care of stuff takes mind space that could be freed for doing good works rather than inventorying.

So I got down to a few of each item that's totally utilitarian - jeans, workshirts, lots of tank tops (arizona), long sleeve pullovers, sweaters, a coat, jammies, socks and undies and that's about it. Then for the first time in my life, I started wearing a bra a couple of years ago and now I've added a couple of zippered suit bags with dresses and nice shirts for going out and just dressing nicely any day I don't have to dig dirt.

It all fits in a small 3 drawer dresser and the suit bags, but I keep swearing I'm going to hang some shaker pegs on the wall and get down to 3 outfits - 2 work and one Sunday best - like the old timers and leave it at that! Why can't I just get that simple?

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  12:25:44 PM  Show Profile
Anna,
I had to both nod my head in agreement and laugh as I read your response. I've come to learn what I like and don't like and, even though I don't have much fashion sense (as far as caring what is in style), I've learned to at least some degree what works for me and what doesn't. For example, I absolutely cannot wear a straight skirt -- oh, my, it's not a pretty sight! :) BUT, and here is my dilemma, I have trouble finding what I want (i.e. what looks good) because of the current style!

As for needing a gay man . . . I have to admit I've often thought the same thing. A friend who lives in the city works with a gay man who has become her "other best friend" -- I'm blest to be called the other "other best friend". When she talks about Roy or when I visit and watch them interact, I'm soooo jealous. He's the perfect "best friend". And yes, my dh needs some fashion help, but I'm not the best one to help him.

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  12:30:36 PM  Show Profile
Allison, I loved reading about your experience, and your method of paring down your wardrobe (to "a few of each item that's totally utilatiarian") put into words what I was trying to arrive at. I kept mulling this issue and had some vague notions, but I couldn't really articulate what I was starting to envision.

That probably doesn't make sense, but I've been grading essays since I got home from church over 2 hours ago, and my brain is tired :)

Do you work outside your home? I teach part-time (just applied for a full-time position), so I don't need many work clothes, thank goodness.

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  11:19:13 PM  Show Profile
Yipes . . . this thread is convicting! Almost all of my clothes are second hand, but there are certain things I just have a passion for . . . blouses and dresses that look like they are made from old feedsacks, ruffled prairie skirts, wool pendleton skirts and dresses and of course my mainstay levi jeans. And then there is my cowboy boot collection. I never really thought of them as a collection, until I recently decided to put them on a shelf. They ended up taking two shelves (each about 2 1/2 or three feet wide!) What can I say . . . I love them there boots! I actually tried to sort out my clothes earlier this year, but even after bags and bags to goodwill, my large walk-in closet is still full (did I mention I have my own closet, separate of dear husband?!) I do have a few gifts and non-related items in the closet and the very top shelves are full of fabrics, but the rest is all my clothes, boots and shoes. I get it all so cheaply since it is all second hand, so it isn't that I overspend . . . I just over have! But now, in true farmgirl spirit, I am starting to see my clothes in new light . . . the wool skirts that are perhaps a bit tight (hmmm . . . it couldn't be me . . .they must have shrunk . . .) are now viewed as materials for penny rugs or hooked rugs. T-shirts with cute sayings can be cut as a patch for a purse and the rest used as a dust cloth, wool sweaters can be shrunk (or more kindly called "felted") for purses, mittens or whatever. And of course all things cotton can become part of a quilt. So, really what I have is a well stocked craft and sewing closet . . .

Justify, justify, justify . . .

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  12:11:40 PM  Show Profile
And i'm still hanging onto 2 pair of threadbare shorts. These are my gardening shorts that are probably 5-6 years old and I REFUSE to toss them.

I tried sewing the ripped sections and patching soe of the bigger gaps.

Thought not everyone who makes a surprize visit wants to see my bum.

Thought I had found the perfect replacements only to discover the leg holes were WAAAAy to gappy but at the same time, too slim.

So, the old ratty shorts will be worn to shreds until the perfect replacement surfaces.

And believe me, for stuff like these shorts, thrift stoes come first and foremost. You can't beat the laready broken in softness.

But alas,...........the search continues or at least until the shorts finally decay from all the years of well worn summer love.

p.s. i used to shop at american eagle all the time (that was more than 20 years ago). Now it's all trendy and i can't stand some of the styles and wacked out colors.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  3:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Well, ladies, I pared down my winter clothes last night, keeping a few of each item. I kept two pair of jeans, 3 skirts, 3 jumpers, and so on. I boxed the rest up and will donate them to the Safe House for Women & Children later this week. I called them today and was told they desparately need winter clothes, so it's a win-win situation. I love my pared-down closet!

Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  4:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Patti, I volunteer full-time at a Buddhist retreat center so I live in the campground and not a proper home anymore! Even when I worked outside the home, I managed to keep to a couple pairs of work slacks and blouses since I was never much of a dress person.

Now it's nice because it's either the work clothes or the really frilly fun stuff for just going back to town like for a dinner out. There's no real in between! I'm very rural now so who's going to see how many patches are on my work jeans?

But I think even totally utilitarian can be fun. When Walmart was selling tank tops for less than $5 each, I bought a handful but in bright pinks and such. So just because it fulfills such a drab purpose (such as cleaning out the sump pump) that doesn't mean my clothes can't be colorful!

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  4:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Wardrobe? What's a wardrobe?? I used to have one but it's now disappeared. I live in comfy pants,t-shirts, and tennis shoes. That's about it.

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  08:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
honesty, girls, i am a clothes horse! i love fashion. when i was with my stbx i owned a few skirts, two town dresses, @ a half dozen tops, and 3 pairs of shoes. i spent most of my time looking grubby and hating it.now there is no way i could catalogue what is in my closet.

since fashion is my art, i find it very important to always be nicely dressed rather it is jeans and a nice top for school or a vintage dress for sunday. most of my clothes (that i haven't made myself) come from thrift stores, yard sales, and out of season clearance racks. yet, i think i spent more time thinking about clothes when i didn't have them than i do now. now, i just go to the closet knowing there is something that is going to be approperate for the days agenda and that i am going to look great in it.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  10:24:50 AM  Show Profile
Wardrobe?
Who has that?,,,not me, I wear whatever suits and fits...I am a SAH Grandmother though, but, worked all of my life and did have to have "Business" clothes....
My DH is a good one to sy if he likes something or not....I do appreciate that, he is not critical about it at all...

Farmgirl Sister #368
Please visit my new blog....We are looking at the question..."Are we as women really created to be his Helpmeet?"
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  1:45:13 PM  Show Profile
I am so bad that if someone gives me something and it's too big, but really cute, it goes in the "maybe I'll wear it if I'm ever prego one day"
I do have a lot of clothes, but ones that I wear regularly, that cuts the list by over 2 thirds!
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  8:03:24 PM  Show Profile
I do agree with brenda, you got to keep the wool skirts for wool pieces for applique or rug hooking and the wool sweaters for felting and the cotton stuff for quilting. Because I never kept mine and now I go to thrift stores just to look for them.!!! I mostly wear jeans and t-shirts because I am a grandma and I am into comfortable. I have nice clothes but hate to wear them because I might spill something on them. So strictly utilitarian for me. My husband and I did go through all of out winter outerwear and give a bunch to the local church because people are hurting this winter and I figured I can only wear 1 coat at a time. Somebody else can keep warm in one too.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

chandasue
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

20 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  05:59:42 AM  Show Profile
I gained a lot of weight while pregnant and I refused to buy more clothes than I absolutely needed in various sizes as I lost weight. Right now I'm 20 pounds from my goal and I kept most of my old clothes for when I get there. I'm down to 3 pairs of pants, 6 tee shirts, one sweater and a couple of hooded sweatshirts. It's motivation to lose the rest of the weight. :D In the mean time it's taught me that you really don't need a lot of clothes and I'll probably pare down on my old wardrobe as well.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  09:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
My major problem right now is that I am a SAHM/College student in transition to the corporate world. I have to have a wardrobe for my internships and then beyond that, for when I start working. Otherwise, I call my current look "the cowgirl bag lady." : ) T-shirt, jeans, boots- nothing fancy.

I have been adding some elegenant lady-like clothing to my wardrobe for work. I really have embraced looking lady like and I L O V E all the little pretty jackets and frilly tops and girly shoes. I take about $30 a month and shop the discounts and put together outfits. So far, I have a nice basic work wardrobe for less than $150. Probably 5 tops, a jacket, one suit, 4 pairs of pants and 2 pairs of shoes. I am sticking with black, white, grey, pink, purple and turquoise. I am avoiding brown as I honestly don't feel dressed enough for work in brown and it really is an odd non-color on me for some reason. Maybe because I am tan, it just blends and doesn't pop. I like things to pop.

When I stick to the color above, I feel like my wardrobe is endless. Layering helps too. I just bought an oversized shirt in black and it can be worn alone or perked up with a camisole beneath it or a bright colored layering t-shirt.

Seriously- I watched the "Coco Chanel" movie the other night and I have been inspired!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  10:14:48 PM  Show Profile
I used to work for a Department store, and could get 400 dollar Jones New York suits for like twenty bucks.

Sadly, I no longer wear them due to them being a tad too big and we changed to a much more budget friendly "business casual" workplace.
While I love the wash and wear attire, I do feel bad for having so many suits sitting in my closet. However, I am afraid they will change back to business attire, and have to revert back to stupid dry cleaning. So, I hang onto them, because really, do good business suits (especially JNY suits) go out of style? Not really.

If I get brave enough to donate them, some size 14 woman will make a killing at Goodwill.

In the meantime, we get to wear jeans on Fridays, so I have about five or six pair of pants that are wash and wear in black, green, brown, grey and tan.
I love the simplicity. And since I shop mostly at good will, almost all are replaceable easily and painlessly if I stain them, or better, they are too big. Then I am not out a ton of money, AND, they are more eco friendly, which we are trying to be conscious of.

OH and I have a fabulous navy dress for dress up that I got really cheap last fall. I paid ten bucks for it at Target of all places.

And Heather, isn't Chanel's designs great?
She really kept it simple.
I watch Breakfast at Tiffany's and drool over Givenchy's designs as well. Basic and gorgeous. He dressed Audrey for years.

I once wore a fabulous little black dress with a great pearl necklace and a classic french roll in my hair. I had more compliments on that night, than I have ever had in my life. I had one marriage proposal as well- from a complete stranger.

Classics are best. Simple and sweet.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Nov 26 2008 10:23:04 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Size of wardrobe questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page