Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Coats? Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  12:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
How many coats do you have? I have a bazillion when I was trying to organize the closet. I have at least 10 coats for winter......I know I know, I def have alot of those and purses, it's just my thing

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  12:35:49 PM  Show Profile
I have a nice, long wool coat that is a classic style that I've had for ages; a Carhart I bought when we moved to the country, that I cannot live without; and a short coat that I wear with jeans and pants. So in a nutshell -- 3.

I had one more, I think, but I gave it away. I hate coats and only wear them when I know I'll be outside for an extended time. My dh, on the other hand, likes coats and has quite a few more than I do.

I also have a pair of insulated coveralls that I got, tags still on them, from the thrift store 2 years ago for $2 or $3, I forget which. I'm still proud of that find

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!

Edited by - happymama58 on Nov 23 2008 12:36:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  12:51:31 PM  Show Profile
I have one lovely long classic winter coat, it indeed never goes out of fashion and I love wearing it. It is black (yikes) but I wear bright scarves to make it nicer.
Also have a cute bomber that is white.
And another one that is some ugly green!! I hate green but last year it was the only one in my price range, lol. It is warm, but the zipper is broken. Costs too much to get a new one in, so bought the cute white bomber for a fraction of the new zipper price.

I am always cold so wear nice scarves with my coats. To brighten the dark color (black) or just to add color and warmth to the white one. It is a REAL white one, not off white nope bright white, lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  2:40:01 PM  Show Profile
I have a blue winter coat for hiking & shoveling snow. That's it! I desperately need a nice winter coat, but they haven't come down in price, so I will make do with my 8 year old blue one.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  2:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Shoot I gave away 2 nice coats to a friend of mine......I would've given ya one dawn!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  5:00:31 PM  Show Profile
I am a sweater person. But did buy a nice coat at the thrift store for $12.00. I have worn it once so far. I will be wearing it a lot more because it's FREEZING here! I am ready for spring already. I am shivering right now.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  5:12:42 PM  Show Profile
I love coats, and that's a good thing because up here in Western New York we spend a lot of time wearing them. I've got a rain jacket/windbreaker type thing that I wear (with lots of layers) for hiking and cross country skiiing in all weather. And I've got 3 dress coats now.

These days I'm wearing a coat that I bought at a thrift store in PA when I was visiting friends for Thanksgiving in 2004. It's long and sort of a cloak style, bright red with fake leopard fur collar and cuffs. Very much an old lady coat - literally. A year after I got it, I went to a surprise 80th birthday party for my grandma. Her best friend walked in wearing MY coat.

I've also got a short black wool jacket that I bought at another thrift store, and that's been my everyday coat for the past two winters.

And I may try out a third coat that I picked up at a garage sale this summer. It's a more trendy style (probably only a year or two old), but it's also made from cheaper material so I don't know how warm it's going to be.

I was hoping to buy a brand new, really nice winter coat this fall, but now that I'm going to be losing my job I decided to "recycle" the older ones for another year. That's ok, I think thrift stores are a great place to get coats. There are so many classic styles that never go out of fashion, and the quality of the materials and the workmanship on older coats is so high that they really hold up.

Plus I think it's kind of funny that I pay more to get my coats dry cleaned once a year than I did for the coats themselves.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  5:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I only have one winter coat. I usually buy a new one every 3-4 years.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  7:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Me too Alee. I have one winter coat and its kinda annoying because I wear it all week to feed goats and then I have to wash it so I don't smell like a barn...or worse bucks... when I walk into church. I'm gonna have to look for an old coat to use around here!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  7:55:35 PM  Show Profile
I guess I have 3 main coats for winter (not counting my rain coat), I have my carhartt for chores and everyday use, then I have a nice car coat my grandmother gave me, but my best deal was my ankle length black wool coat I found at a Salvation Army store in Illinois for $8.00. When I had admired the coat a couple years before in the high end stores in Chicago they went for $150-$200. I guess biding my time really does payoff.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Coats? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page