LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2008 :  11:08:17 AM  Show Profile
Things will be difficult and sometimes you will wonder if you can do it. I have two children who have been behind the curve and it sometimes just flat out sucks. I have prayed and I know that they were sent to our family for a reason. One has sensory issues, OCD, anxiety and social delays. Some people thought he was on the autistic spectrum but he is now mainstreamed and reads two grade levels ahead. My youngest has a genetic disorder that we cannot possible guess as to what it will bring in the future. He doesn't speak and at almost 4 years is very much like a 18 month old. He is a happy guy and that is what matters. We can catch him up eventually.

You will be that child's champion and you will marvel at yourself for the doors you will kick open and walls you will tear down to do what needs to be done for him. I look back and wonder how I have done some of the things I have but no one wants to mess with a mamma bear. They are special and it makes you want to cocoon them so much more. He will be fine because of you!

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  3:55:04 PM  Show Profile
I find myself crying a lot these days, mourning the loss of his sight...if that makes sense. Also mourning the loss for us as a family. the times I most get sad is when I think of my husbands loss. hubby is so sad. He said that he didn't care if Oliver grew up to be a farmer or not, but now they can't even drive a tractor. We have our sad days , but most of the time we marvel at how musch joy he does and will bring into our lives....like right now for example oliver is sitting on my lap and "talking" such a sweet, sweet sound:)

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  5:20:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Melanie....I can't imagine how you and your husband must feel but just enjoy the moment and don't fret too much about the future...it can be overwhelming if you do. They just had a thing on the news the other night about blindness and it was about the center , I think in the brain or something and they were talking like it won't be long before it will be a thing of the past. I really can't remember the particulars but I'm sure you could Google and find lots of info. And remember....they call it the "practice" of medicine for a reason...don't ever give up hope! I was told a few years ago that I was going blind and I had lost all my sight in one eye and lots in the other and they said they could stop any further damage but it would be a miracle if I ever regained any of what I had lost....well.....guess what!?!?!?!? I can see just fine now! RIght after the operation I could see and the surgeon couldn't beleive it either! He said...this isn't supposed to happen! He admitted to me it was a miracle. But it did! So, never ever give up hope but also be happy right now with him just as he is. My blindness was a great lesson for me and I am Oh so grateful every day for every little thing! He is precious and so lucky to have you 2 for parents....nothing is an accident....you were meant for him and he was meant for you....love to your family and especially to little Oliver.....it takes a village to raise a child and us "villagers" are all here for you!
Love....Sam

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  5:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, I think Oliver could accomplish things that right now you can't even fathom. One of my favorite books is called Touch the Top of the World: A Blind Man's Journey to Climb Farther than You Can See by Erik Weinhenmayer. He climbed to the top of Mt. Everst! Here's a link to a blind man who's piloting a plane and other amazing things. Heck a tractor would be a piece of cake: ) There are so many stories of blind people doing remarkable things. It's not the journey you as parents had imagined but it will be an amazing journey. Hang in there JoAnn P.S. A good cry never hurts
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  6:05:49 PM  Show Profile
oops forgot the link here it is http://www.cityspeakersinternational.co.uk/speakers/speaker_miles_hiltonbarber.php
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  6:20:02 PM  Show Profile
We all have a way of ending up where we need to be - I think that Oliver and you are lucky to have each other. You will be in my thoughts and prayers
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  10:59:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey Melanie! I haven't been on the forum in a couple of weeks...SO sorry to hear your news! I am praying for little Oliver and also for you and your hubby. I know one thing for sure... The Lord would not give us a trial that He knew we couldn't handle...He has a reason for everything and little Oliver has been placed in the perfect home for him.

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  3:04:52 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, I just came across this thread. It must of been such a shock to you to learn of the problems with Oliver's(love that name!)sight. My daughter is blind in one eye, as Oliver she has had this since birth. With him he has so many possibilities. Every day the medical field is advancing so much with sight problems. The glasses themselves may do wonders. As he grows, I am sure there will be many more things to try. Mourning the loss of his sight is only normal. As much as you and your husband love little Oliver you will overcome the grief and help him to be the best he can be. And believe me when I say that his life will be a wonderful one. With or without sight. All of you have a great future ahead of you. This I know for sure.

Hugs and prayers.
Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  4:18:19 PM  Show Profile
thanks ladies.... I knew I could count on you to hold me up and help me out. I will check out the info that you gave me. WOW!! Mt Everest...horay:)

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  6:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, how truly blessed that little boy is, as you and your hubby are. For love is what reigns in your hearts for him, and in his heart towards you. The greatest gift you can give him, you have, and his love and joy will be towards you as parents.
I congratulate you on this wonderful love adventure to see what happens on your journey of love with him.

Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9371 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9371 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  06:26:08 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,
Oh how sweet little babies are. Just enjoy every moment because before you know he will be grown up. God never gives us something in this life that He can't handle. Just remember that and rest in Him. Try not to dwell on the things you 'think' he won't be able to do and think more about those things he will do. God will give him sharpened other senses and he will do amazing things. As long as there is God there is hope. You know God has a plan for each person and I am sure He has chosen Oliver for a special purpose!

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  07:07:38 AM  Show Profile
I do know that the Lord will be with us every step of the way.....somedays my mind just wanders and I think about all of the possible hurdles. thank ypu for the stories that some of you have shared they fill up my cup of hope!

Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  1:15:17 PM  Show Profile
hugs and love to you and hubby and Oliver!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  5:20:25 PM  Show Profile
we picked up his glasses late yesterday afternoon...I cried when I saw them on him. Oh boy, he looked soooooo incredibly cute. The glasses are very strong so his eyes are quite big. very cute indeed. Oliver didn't try once to take them off. not that he has great hand co-ordination yet.

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  11:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness - there is nothing cuter than a little boy in glasses!! Hope everything goes well
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  1:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so cute! He can be our own little Harry Potter (Cute loveable boy in glasses type)!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Dec 07 2008 1:28:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  2:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh Melanie, he sounds darling! I am so glad God chose you and your husband to be his parents. It sounds like you are both the perfect choice.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  04:41:30 AM  Show Profile
I can't rememberr if I posted it or not, but we were chosen to be the Holy family this year. We had our white gift service yesterday and performed the play.....well, I was Mary. When, at the end, someone oassed me "baby Jesus" and I looked down at my beautiful child with his little glasses, I started to cry, tears of joy because I now know how truly blessed we are to have this baby boy vision, or no vision:)

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  05:07:11 AM  Show Profile
I too think kids with glasses look SO cute!! (well I should think so, because I wore them too when I was an iddy biddy girl and still do, lol)
And my glasses were very thick too (blind in one eye and the other is not too good either)

And YAY to have been chosen in the play, good for you. And oh what a joy that boy is going to be, all through his growing years. Learning new thing and you learning new things too.

Love and hugs and a big kiss for little Oliver from his Dutch auntie :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  05:46:44 AM  Show Profile
Melanie - what a neat thing to be in the pageant(?) - that is what it's called in my faith tradition. Anyway, what a powerful reminder that every child is a gift from god!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  05:56:36 AM  Show Profile
I agree with what all you SISTERS are saying. You have been blessed with a gift here. This topic reminds me of the 'home makeover show' where they interacted with a young man who could not see. He was/is a brilliant musician who has touched so many lives. I think this particuliar program/episode changed me too in a lot of ways. Just because Oliver's vision is not perfect doesnt mean that he isn't. Encourage and nurture him as you are and he will soon see so much more in life than "things".

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen

http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  10:26:54 AM  Show Profile
Melanie - God chooses the right parents for every child. He certainly chose the right ones for Little Oliver!! God bless all of you!

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  07:52:44 AM  Show Profile
Melanie~God has a purpose and He knows how much you would love this little one no matter what. My son is legally blind in one eye and unfortunately we did not find out until he was in the third grade.
Little Oliver is blessed with parents who love him so much and will provide him with whatever he needs.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  4:35:18 PM  Show Profile
If the doctors are fitting him with glasses does that mean they think he can see some things? I understand that as a mother we all would feel sad for what our child has lost but he really hasn't lost anything. I've heard many blind or deaf people say that they can't lose what they never had. Children seem to manage quite well with a handicap or problem that they were born with. So while it is going to bring new challenges into your life as a mother and into Oliver's growing up you both are blessed. He is blessed with loving parents who will give him the best and you are blessed with a little boy that was found especially for you. God knew what He was doing when He placed little Oliver into your life!
Many blessings,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  4:46:56 PM  Show Profile
the glasses are supposed to help somewhat...we are told that he probably just sees shadows.
I think one of the main reasons why we were sad was for all of the things that we would miss as a family.. but you are right, Oliver won't know any different, and we will all be learning together.:)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Little Oliver can't see Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page