True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  12:17:17 PM  Show Profile
At least til spring.

They are all gone as of this morning! All except Russell Crowe. And 8 guineas and the 2 ducks.

So if anyone would like a great goodlooking hunk of a rooster, let me know. He is too sweet.

Now I need to research what kind of chickies I'll get next. And do some major renovations on the chicken house. It's due a paint job and some new nesters, too. And it could use a breather for a few months to get rid of germs and other stuff. That sounds like work, but it needs to be done, right?

Kris

mandymcar
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Mandy
Montana
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  10:53:53 AM  Show Profile
Russell Crowe, oh that is a funny name!

I had some friends who named their rooster Custer do to some nice blond feathers he had on his head,
and in a strange irony he dropped dead for no apparent reason...
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  11:36:33 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, what kind of chickens did you raise? How many? How big is your henhouse? We are getting chickens in the spring. I think Buff Orphingtons. We are building a henouse 4x8 enclosed and the fenced in yard is 6x8.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  4:06:24 PM  Show Profile
When we first bought this house and property it was not fenced, except the yard area. We had goats, chickens and a horse at the time we moved that had to be boarded at a friends place. So before we even moved in here after we closed, we built a 10'x30' combination goat-horse-chicken "barn". Each part is 10'x10'. The chickens was enclosed on 2 1/2 sides with wire on the rest. The horse stall is just boarded on 3 sides and a wall on the north side. The middle is open in the front for the goats. The whole north side is walled. We had a lot of 1"x12'x12' from the little house that we used for a lot of the walls. So we saved alot there. But it cost close to $3,000.00. Then we had to fence in one side to complete the whole area which is close to an acre.

We have had Barred Rock (my favorite), Auracana, White Leghorn, Rhode Island Red (which I will never have again, they are CRAZY) and have raised the Cornish x meat birds. I have had as many as 75 at one time. They are free range so they have plenty of room. As far as nest boxes, 4 hens will nest in one box. They'll fight over that one box, too. So you really only need 1 box per 4 hens. I forgot Black Austrolorpe, Wyandottes, and a few Buffs, too.

I think I would like some more Buffs. They are beautiful. And more Barred Rocks, of course. And maybe some more Leghorns, too. They are really good layers.

If your yard is just 6x8 I wouldn't have more than 12. If you have too many in a small space, they fight and peck each other. But that's just me. A friend of mine had a small hen house and yard. She had way too many birds and they were always fighting and pecking and hardly ever had all their feathers. She'd never let them out, either. But it may work better for you. Just my opinion.

BTW< poor Russell looks so lonely without his women. It's kinda sad. But no one wanted him. He'll be ok with the guineas, though.

Kris ( Geeze, I sure can go on and on...)
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  9:50:23 PM  Show Profile
I have been raising chickens for nearly 20yrs. It's amazing to me how MANY different breeds there are, and I've raised A LOT of them too over the years. The "Heritage" breeds are my favorite. Depending on what you want the birds for, the possiblities are endless.

I've had more breeds of chicken and banty's than I care to count. Some of them I loved, some of them I HATED!!! And some of them I would still like to "try." The Leghorns were one breed I'd never had before, I tend to stay away from "Commercial breeds," especially since I discovered that so many "Heritage" breeds were on the verge of extinction, but this year I decided to make an exception. I ordered 4 Leghorn hens-- 2 white, 2 Brown-- and I really like them.

I also got a bonus when a Dk brown leghorn rooster moved in from next door!! Guess he liked the ladies on our farm better than his own. (Or else he was smart enough to escape the Ax!! I haven't seen any other chickens over there in a long time!). I'm happy to say that, despite their popularity, they have made it to my "Favorites list." Especially since one of the white hens hatched out 13 chicks on the sly at just 9mos!!!

Just a thought, but you might want to order a "Sample Pack" of chicks (pullets only, of course-- unless you really LIKE roosters!) from one of the mail order hatcheries next Spring and see which birds you like best. But, whatever you do, have fun picking them out and enjoy!! ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

PS-- I have several roosters, but only 2 of them have names. One Black Silkie rooster was given to me by a dear friend that she named "Billy Ray." He had a MULLET like Billy Ray Cyrus sported in the 80's. Another (mixed) is named "Dolly" (named by the same friend, though he was hatched and reared by one of my own hens). When he was just a chick he had a barred feather body and a bright yellow head. The chick reminded her of Dolly Parton for some reason. Unfortunatley, the name has stuck, despite the fact that he's grown into a very striking ROOSTER! -- (and VERY gentle to boot!) Poor Dolly. If he ever has a son, I just might name him "SUE!" (HE! HE! HE!) Oh, BTW-- Roosters CAN cross on Guineas!!!! So Russell really WON'T be so lonely -- and you might have some very STRAAANGE looking "chicks" come Spring!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  10:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Kris , The Barred Plymouth Rock are my favorites too. I have 50+ hens now and butchered out about that many roosters a few weeks back. They are good layers, nice big brown egg and do well in our Zone 5b winters. They were a day old on June 6th when I got them and some are laying, we are getting up to 13 eggs a day.

I also like the Booted Banties, they make good mothers and are soooo cute.

Raised those Cornish Cross, fast growers but so messy, but good eating.

Have fun thinkin about your new batch of chicks for spring : )

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  08:21:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad I found this post....I just got 10 chickens and 4 chicks, and I've never done this before....I need your help!...
My husband built a 200sq ft "condo" for them, there is a sun porch in the front, and nesting boxes in the back...they spend alot of time in the back room, in the dirt!?
The chicks are getting big, but I still have them in a cage in the back room. I was told to keep them separated until they are close in size. Is this true?
I give them fresh watermelon from my garden everyday, and spinach. They are on a high protein food, but no action yet. I'm guessing the hens are about 7 months old, when will I get some eggs?
I have a beautiful silkie, 2 french hens that are black and white striped, 4 mexicans, and Miss Britney, she is my fav....they really do have personality. I love just sitting in there, watching. There really is a "pecking order"! Who knew!
Last question: I read that if they are getting too much fiber, that if you soak bread in olive oil, this helps them to digest. Any feedback on that? Of coarse I already did it...and I can't tell if it did anything. They just love to eat!
I'll take some pictures when I get outside and post them here. I really need assurance that I'm doing things right, I don't want to hurt these cute "buck-bucks"!
Thanks alot for your help!

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  10:06:57 AM  Show Profile
Here are some photos...I think I did it right...
utl:photobucket.com/1LisaLu
Can someone tell me if I posted these right?

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  12:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Did I say my chickens were all stoles, my poor rooster, now in someones stew pot....hope they enjoyed him...
I want new ones in the spring, what kind should I get Ladies?
Also, want to get ones to grow and butcher, does anyone have a favorite?
I will appreciate all theinfo. aI can get....LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  2:37:46 PM  Show Profile
LisaLu, I just saw your chickies. They are cute. And the condo is nice. I didn't see a yard. Do they free range? Also I do know chickens love to take dirt bathes. That's their way of staying cool and cleaning their feathers.

Are you not feeding any grain or laying pellets at all? I've heard that if you just feed scraps they will not lay. They need protien to lay eggs. There are old timers around here that only feed their birds a 16% laying mash. They swear by it. One neighbor only fed his hens this and he had so many eggs he was giving them away. I bought some from him and of course they quit laying for me. I could never tell a difference in the amount of eggs with scratch or laying pellets myself. I also heard in the winter they need more protein like corn to keep them warm and laying. I've never done the extended lighting. I guess that's why I have no eggs.

Your babies are very small. But if they are in with the hens they will be used to each other. I'd wait a few more weeks to let them out. They should be able to get away from them if they are harrased. I've had big and little together with not much problem. They'll eventually get along.

Also you should not worry so much about them. They will be fine. They seem happy and content. But you should check into the protein consumption. I think when we read so much, it just confuses things. You just have to do it and learn as you go.

Sorry about your chickens, Terri. Are you sure they were stolen or did a critter get them? The Cornish x meat birds are good. they grow fast, so there's not much money involved. And they can be fed scraps along with lots of grass. Get some good chicken catalogs and books to help you decide which kind to get. Lots of places to get chickens now.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

chandasue
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

20 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  4:33:38 PM  Show Profile
Chickens are so funny. I have 35 two week old chicks in my laundry room right now! They're outgrowing it fast so I'll have to warm up the coop for them somehow... I have speckled sussex chicks. I think they're pretty neat looking and good dual purpose breed, and the roos are not generally agressive. This link is really good for helping figure out what to look for in a breed.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
Go to Top of Page

chandasue
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

20 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  4:39:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LisaLu

They are on a high protein food, but no action yet. I'm guessing the hens are about 7 months old, when will I get some eggs?

Hens generally start laying around 24 weeks, but not all will lay through the winter months. It has to do more with the amount of light they get than the temps. They may not start laying until the days start getting longer (13 hours+). You can try artificial lighting by just having a 75 watt bulb on a timer to lengthen the day for them.

Make sure they have some grit and plenty of fresh water. They need the little stones in their gizzard to grind up the food. They'll also need a calcium source when they start laying, like oyster shells.

Edited by - chandasue on Nov 25 2008 4:42:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  8:18:18 PM  Show Profile
I use a layers crumble for my chickens I get it at tractor supply or the local feed store and I only have 4 chickens right now and I am getting 3 eggs a day. It sure keeps us in eggs. They also free range. They are black astroloups (sp) anywho, I live in michigan and it gets cold here and they are doing really well. My question is could some one tell me some of the heritage kinds? I think I would like to get a few different ones. Thanks for any info on them.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

chandasue
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

20 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  05:44:30 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Beverley

My question is could some one tell me some of the heritage kinds? I think I would like to get a few different ones. Thanks for any info on them.

The link I posted above is all different Heritage breeds.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  06:24:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Chandasue. I bookmarked that one. It has good info. I think there is a site for strictly heritage breeds somewhere, isn't there? Breeds of all animals, too.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  09:13:42 AM  Show Profile
oh thank you I went there and it was very informative I just didn't know it was heritage breeds .. Cool!!!! thanks

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

chandasue
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

20 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  09:50:06 AM  Show Profile
This one talks about all livestock:

http://www.albc-usa.org/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  09:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Cool thanks

Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  07:38:59 AM  Show Profile
Kristin:
Thanks for the info on my girls, I think I'm just overanxious....we buy our feed from the "feed store", it's high in protein, and it does have corn in it.
We were gone for 5 days and I can't believe how much the chicks have grown, I think I'll introduce them to the big girls tomorrow, that way I can watch and make sure they all get along. I was thinking that I should pick up some straw or hay, we got some rain and the dirt is damp....(if I had it my way they'd be in the house with the rest of my herd!) does it matter if their feet get damp?
LisaLu

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  11:35:26 AM  Show Profile
LisaLu, what herd do you have in your house??? Yikes, I cannot imagine all mine in here! Thank goodness for barns.

It has rained here all night and most of today so far. I had to walk through knee deep mud just to feed and milk all my bunch this morning. I don't like that at all. And the goats totally do not like to get their little feet wet.

As far as chickens and wet feet, it's ok as long as they can get out of the wet and mud. Make sure their home is dry and has straw or sawdust on the floor for them. They'll be fine. My ducks are lovin' this, though. And the pigs, too. I have to go change clothes and go back out to feed again. Not looking forward to this at all.

I thought I liked Fall and Winter, but I've changed my mind. I can do that, right? At least until it gets back up in the 80's again.

Good luck on the "BIG DAY". They will all be fine together, you'll see.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  7:21:07 PM  Show Profile
I just ran into one of the girls that bought some of my chickens. She said her daughter has gotten several eggs so far. I new it! As soon as I get rid of them they start laying again. Traitors! She did say they are just feeding laying mash and they get grass and other goodies.

That happens every time. I don't know why they don't like it here.

Go to Top of Page

mothergoose
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Richere
tiverton rhodeiland
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  12:52:58 PM  Show Profile
Can anyone recommend a good place to order chicks from?
Go to Top of Page

mothergoose
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Richere
tiverton rhodeiland
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  04:00:59 AM  Show Profile
For heritage breeds,Backyard Poultry Mag. recomends:www.idealpoultry.com www.mcmurrayhatchery.com www.sandhillpreservation.com and/or you can contactCHRISTINE>HEINRICHS@GMAIL>COM The SPPA Breeders Directory lists SPPA members ,what they breed and how to get it. crheverett@bellsouth,net One year I ordered guineas along with my chicks and raised them together.Well those guineas spent all their time plucking the tail feathers off my chickens.When we made them a pen on other side of chicken run they spent all their time crying and trying to get back inside chicken yard.We never saw them go after any thing but the chickens tail feathers so we ate them.I will try again but this time they will not be raised with the chickens.We have tried 23 different types so far .They all looked so pretty the first couple of years..and boy do we have some tails to tell.My favorites have been buff orpington-eggs+broodie,wyandottes-eggs,new hampshire reds-eggs(much more layyed back then rhodies)buff brahmas-broody and rooster friendly and relatively quiet and oh so beautiful .araucanas for their colored eggs, the chicks are beautiful but they are not so friendly..the roosters are outright mean so soup it was!
Go to Top of Page

mothergoose
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Richere
tiverton rhodeiland
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  04:11:17 AM  Show Profile
I just checked the other chicken sites here.Am i the only one who checks them all out.Perhaps only one who responds to them all..Run -a-way fingers.
Go to Top of Page

chandasue
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

20 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  05:46:53 AM  Show Profile
I ordered mine (Speckled Sussex) from Welp Hatchery. Couldn't be happier with them. http://www.welphatchery.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  06:26:04 AM  Show Profile
HEY Richere, this is actually my favorite place here. I love talking animals. I don't think everyone here has them, though, so it takes awhile to see responses. And those who do have them are very busy!

So thanks for all your input here.

Kris
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic No More Chickens... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page