Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Has anyone ever done a free store?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Has anyone ever done a free store? Next Topic
Page: of 2

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  09:25:25 AM  Show Profile
When DH and I moved into our house 4 years ago in january, it was fully furnished. (with lots of old funky thinkgs from the 80s) So we called around and found a family whose house had burned down and they were very thankful for two twin beds, some chairs, and some ugly curtains.
I think contacting a church would be a good thing because they always know who is in need, and that would make sure your blessings fall into the right hands. It's nice to set things out ont he table, but some people are too humble to take free things from others. and There are people who won't be by your house to know that it's there to take.
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  7:09:26 PM  Show Profile
We have had good results putting larger items on the curb with a free sign on them. One night we put out our sofa sleeper with a free sign and a man stopped who could barely speak english. He knocked on the door and wanted to make sure he understood that he didn't have to pay. He looked like he had tears in his eyes and was so excited. We have put several items out at once and they have been taken a few at a time but never all at once. I usually take smaller items to our local thrift store since they sort through and sell some but the rest goes to third world countries in need. Good Luck and let us know what you decide and how it works out. Nice of you to think of others who are not so fortunate.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  3:40:41 PM  Show Profile

The free sign with a pile of stuff in the yard is a Vermont tradition. That's where I got my latest muffin tins. Our neighbor put a big pile of stuff out this summer and we enjoyed watching it disappear over a week's time. Our across the street neighbor put out a computer desk with a free sign in has yard last summer and we took bets on when it would get picked up. It took less than ten minutes for the thrilled new owner to get a furniture find!
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  08:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
We're sorting through our "food cache" right now, and will be re-distributing them. We only share things that are still well within the "best if used by" date, rather than the old stuff. That feeds our chickens a little at a time.

The gal who runs the local food drop also knows folks who can use clothes, and other home needs, so we make sure she gets some of our stuff, too.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 6 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  9:27:14 PM  Show Profile
Our church has a great project they've been doing this time of year for about 10 years now. It's Christmas for a Quarter. All the items are donated, everything is a quarter and it all goes to charity(missions I think). And it's almost all nice things, no junk. Kids love it for Christmas shopping.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Has anyone ever done a free store? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page