CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2005 :  8:38:49 PM  Show Profile
With the holiday season upon us .. so many organizations are involved in much needed charity drives. And while this is so important, it is equally important to know that 'hunger knows no season' .. and to 'keep christmas in our heart all the year'.

Maybe we can share some ideas for helping others .. projects we've been involved in or ways we believe will help others. I have a few to start the list to tell you about.

Our Rotary Club raises hundreds of dollars to make sure that every child at this season has gifts under the Christmas tree. We were each given a list of shoppes, services and businesses to contact to ask for donations for a 'radio auction' that will take place this coming Sunday. This is something that is so easy to accomplish. In trying to figure out what i could donate (other than just money) .. i thought of my 'talents' .. TEA PARTIES .. CHILDREN .. FUN .. ADVENTURE .. and offered a Pioneer Tea Party to be auctioned. I found when knocking on doors asking for donations .. that hearts open very easily in Kentucky when it comes to helping our children.

Another thing i used to do when i lived and worked in Washington D.C.
I worked near the White House .. and there is a large park across the street where poor people spend the day and many nights! Several times during the winter months, I go to the Good Will or Salvation Army and buy heavy wool coats and jackets (both mens and womens). These can usually be bought for just a few dollars! I make two lunches .. and carry the coat (which i have tucked a $5. bill in the pocket)and the lunches to the park. I lay the coat beside me and put one of the lunches on top of it. I then sit and eat my lunch and say a little prayer of thankfulness that 'but for the Grace of God .. there go i' .. and say a little prayer for these people in need. Then i get up .. leaving the coat and lunch on the bench and return to my office.

Angel Trees are hosted by many churches and other organizations. I belong to THREE Homemaker's clubs in our county and each club sponsors a child .. buying clothing, necessities and toys for them.

Something I've done for many years .. A MITTEN TREE. This can be done at your place of work, at your church, through an organization or business. Put up a large tree .. with a sign at the top rather than a star .. that says: "Mitten Tree". Make it widely known through word-of-mouth, flyers, a notice in your local newspaper and through friends and family .. to please bring a pair of mittens (or gloves) to put on the tree. We then donate these to a local shelter. Men's, Women's and Children's sizes! (In the last few years, we've expanded the tree gifts to include scarves and hats too!)

Your 'theme' tree can be for shoes and socks .. undies .. toys .. or whatever your shelter tells you they are most in need of.

Volunteer in 'soup kitchens' .. there is not much that is more rewarding than this. Everyone gets hungry .. and you will have the opportunity to get to meet and know these fellow humans and come to realize there really is not much difference in them and you.

Nursing Homes .. gather together a few friends and their children .. and when you are heading off to 'sing carols' .. visit your local nursing home. Have your group of friends get together ahead of time to create a small token gift for the residents .. and be sure to not leave anyone out. Teach the children to revere and honor these citizens of the world. They were once young and we will all be olde someday .. again .. there is not much difference!

I love planning such projects and seeing them through. It is truly a greater life we can live when we share it with others.

Would love to hear your creative ideas to 'help one heart from aching'.

True Friends, Frannie

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  05:12:39 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 families here.You can help too?The grandmother who has her 3 grandchildren (Family #1) told her children they could not have Chistmas this year. She doesn't have the money. She has had medical problems, been in the hospital and has medical bills to pay.

If anyone else in our family would like to help a needy family, I know they would really appreciate it. These families are picking in my grove. We know them to be honest and work hard to pay the rent. They have been faced with some difficult circumstances over the past year.

FAMILY #1 AGE SIZES
Leneisha 15 Girl 16-youth jeans or size 3 juniors Tops Medium-junior or Youth - 16
Ardashea 10 Girl 10 Slim-youth Tops 10 Youth
Taizion 12 Boy Boys12 Tops 14 Boys

When asked what they really need the most, this was the grandmother's response:

Coats for all 3 children
Pajamas for all 3 children-same size as above except Leneisha wears 12-14 Youth
School Supplies-Paper, pencils, Book Bags
White Chest of Drawers for Taizion
2 Chest of Drawers for girls
One of my buddies gave the grandmother a car. She needs to get a new transmission before she can drive it. Also, it needs paint.

When asked what one toy they would like to have the most:

Leneisha and Taizion-Boomboxes
Ardashea-Bratz Dolls-Girl and Boy

The girls have decorated their room with Spongebob. Taizion has Spiderman in his room.

(This family is in the most need at this time, but the next family has been struggling for several months, too.)

I'm waiting for this pride family and to hear back from them on sizes.
FAMILY #2

Mynasha 16 Girl
Michael, Jr. 13 Boy
Trelesha 9 Girl
Jonathan 3 Boy

you also can adopt families here:
www.adopt-a-katrina-family.com, donors be matched with families and given their wish lists. Like new toys, blankets, school supplies, dishes, or baby food and cleaning supplies. Without help, many of these families be bleak for holidays.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  4:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Ellen - do you have an address to send things to? Thank you for posting about your families in need.

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  5:12:52 PM  Show Profile
I would like to send some things, too, Ellen. Where should I send them? Thanks and God bless.

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  04:08:26 AM  Show Profile
O thank you both!!!::::::I can hear a heavenly band full of angels:::
(((BLuesky you be my sunnyday))) and
(((Oh! Patricia my lovely Patricia, You could make all my dreamin' come true . . )))::::::

And sock it to me (((diane)))!

I be on the bottom of the mail art list or Lookie you got mail from me

Blessings of the day to you ALL thank you for starting my day off so merry! Tight hugs! E²
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  1:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Ellen I just sent out a box of things UPS so should arrive before Christmas. Keep us all posted on the families. Farmgirl love- Beth

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  2:31:55 PM  Show Profile
my family & I have been working with groups that are all related to Katrina. It just breaks my heart. I still cant believe these people aren't much better yet after all this time. New orleans (which I've never been too) holds a weird place in my heart. I think it's the music which in a way is the people, and I cant get enough of trying to send things they still need. There is a song called "In the Heart of the Night" by Poco about New Orleans, the Ponchatrain, the birds etc. it's a great song & I play it alot. I always think if they pumped this music into the streets, people couldn't help but work together to make it better. The whole Gulf Coast still needs so much help and we try to do what we can. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  12:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Ellen, hope you received the donation I sent...it was supposed to arrive today by noon. It is not as much as I wanted to send but I hope it will help make someone happy. Love, Diane
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  1:14:28 PM  Show Profile
merry merry jolly jollies of the day y'all
I apologize for letting this drop to the bottom of the board.

(((Beth))) was most diligent and tracked me down from my blog and alerted me to my derlictions. You see stokin Ellen my former alter ego sorta had a fire in my kitchen! http://obeehave.blogspot.com/2005/12/you-cant-explain-conscious-experience.html

Graciously friends put us up at their beachfront condo so I have been out of pocket to my roadrunner email from here. I be tellin Beth my UPS man drives down our drive and comes through the gate and puts stuff on my back porch but the Us post office only honks when they be at the box way out by the road. Sooooooo I have little notes to go pick up a package, (((princess of tacoma Diane))). I be stoppin there on my way back to the beach tonight. Thank you (((Patricia))) what a blessing you sent! And ((((Kathy))) you be the best sweatshirt folder I've ever seen!
I just wanted to let y'll know how very appreciative both of the families are. I've explained to both families where all of the gifts are coming from. I can't see to type through joytears!!

Thank you again for your kind generous spirits. You have made this a special Christmas for a grandmother and two parents who be struggling because they knew the children would not have anything under their Christmas tree this year. Your willing contributions reflect the true meaning of the season--showing concern and love for others!

I hope you and your families have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

God bless All y'all!I love YOU!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  1:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Michele
It will take a decade to rebuild from Katrina. I have a brother in law who has been transfered to N.O. to help Shell Oil workers and their families in the production facility there to get back on their feet.

He talked about how there are help wanted signs everywhere.
Owners of biz have returned and but over 200K N.O. workers evacuated and are not appearing likely to return. (I work with a gal whose family resettled here)Many biz are flyin employees in from Houston on a week in and week out schedule.It is hard to rebuild a town without the service providers.

We are still rebuilding here in FL from the 2004 hurricanes and we did not have the total destruction of infrastructures that New Orleans is facing. As a populace the America people have a big job to undertake to restore our gulf coast! Thank you for helping Michele!Blessing
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  1:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Found a nice page I wanted to share with you. http://www.deerlakemail.com/teach/
The reason for the season.

Glad we figured it all out, Ellen. Hope it helps. I added a little something for the grandma as well.

Wishing you all good health and a wealth of happiness for 2006.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  1:55:44 PM  Show Profile
Ellen, your screen name says it all. Glad to be of help. Merry Christmas!

Love,
P

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  2:35:21 PM  Show Profile
(((Patricia)))
True that! but for his grace there go I!
looked high and low this be one pretty version
http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/GospelMidisA-M/AmazingGrace2.mid
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  2:38:06 PM  Show Profile
(((Beth)))
The UPS man just left! The school supplies are perfect sista! Grandmother will love the cream. I will get wrapping!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  2:39:06 PM  Show Profile
oops forgot to say (((Beth))) nice site!thanks for sharing!
and my boys added CD we made to the player you sent. Thank you!

Edited by - ByHzGrace on Dec 23 2005 02:36:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2005 :  4:10:45 PM  Show Profile
I finally made it to the post office in the knick of time Diane!

Dearheart Queen of all of Lakebay and Tacoma you bee One Unique and quite a giving lady! A gal from the swamps bee so blessed to know you!
My prayers are for a gentle peaceful holiday for your family!May all your joys be immense!
I love you!
Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2005 :  11:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Ellen, you families are most welcome. Wish it had been more. We have had our own share of umemployed Christmas's and know how difficult it can be.God Bless them and you too. Love ya back. Diane
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Farmgirl Charity Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page