Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Farm Stays for Holidays -- how we're doing them
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Farm Stays for Holidays -- how we're doing them Next Topic  

Friendly Haven
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Jacqueline
Venersborg WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  5:39:20 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I are entrepreneurs to the core. About six years ago we started teaching classes about working with horses, then we expanded to teaching different aspects of small scale farming. We farm 18 acres, 10 that we own and 8 that we lease from a neighbor for hay and additional cow pasture. We are finding that many people want to know what we know and want to come out to the farm and stay with us to learn about it.

I want to share something we're doing this year combining the classes we teach with farm stays. We had requests to do this for quite some time before we finally listened. We are finding that we are enjoying having folks out here to stay with us and participate in all the land, garden, animal and food tasks we do each day.

We're NOT a bed and breakfast and I don't think I have the skill set to wait on people that way. We registered with our county as an educational farm which gives us room to do what we do and not have to worry about being so hoity-toity. Fun? Oh yes! Miss Manners? Not by a long shot.

Here's what we say about the farm to advertise the farm stays. Might be that some of you who live within an hour or two of a big city might be able to do the same. Read on ...

=============

Would you like to come to the farm for the holidays?

Holidays are times of great family traditions. We invite people who are friendly and interesting to spend Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years with us on our biodynamic farm. The harvest is in, the gardens have been put to bed for the winter and the fruit, meat and vegetables have been preserved, dried, canned and frozen for the coming seasons. We're settling in to our roomy farmhouse and want to share our joy and knowledge with good people: Farm skills like milking a cow, tending chickens, making cider, learning about bees, and cooking up great meals made with healthy, organic ingredients. And all this done in a supportive atmosphere of mutual appreciation and respect for the wonderful gifts all around us.

The first farm stay is Thanksgiving. You're invited to arrive Wednesday evening in time to bake a few pies with us. Thursday we'll dig potatoes, make fresh butter, cook turkey and the fixings and eat a wonderful home-cooked meal. You're welcome to create your own family favorite for the meal, too.

Friday we'll introduce you to our cows and you may even get to try your hand at milking. We often play with the baby calves and each day we collect eggs. We may use some to make eggnog or yogurt. There's probably time to ake a hike to the waterfall before dusk.

Saturday we'll teach you all about bees, honey skin care, bake some rustic tarts, chop firewood if you feel so inclined, and participate in talent night that evening. Bring a poem to read, art to show, song to sing, dance for/with us or just watch and applaud.

Sunday is the classic "day of rest." Sleep in and lounge about or help out with our daily farm chores.

Sound like fun?

We have room for up to eight people for each four day holiday weekend. Couples preferred and singles also welcome. Singles get a private room if we have space or you may get to share a room with another nice person if we're full (talk with us, we will make it work for you). No pets (we have PLENTY of animals). This is family style so expect to make your own bed and help with cooking and dishes. Our intent is that this time be relaxed for all and full of laughter.

Cost is $125 per person each day which is $500 from Wednesday night to Sunday afternoon.

If you'd like to see more of our farm, visit http://www.FriendlyHaven.com (lots of pictures) or see what we're up to on our blog http://www.blog.FriendlyHaven.com

Our experience tells us we get along best with easy-going people who are interested in good health and have a well developed sense of humor. If you're like that and wish you had a farm to go home to for the holidays, pop us over an email. Email us for farm stay info!
360-687-8384

warmly,
Jacqueline & Joseph Freeman
Friendly Haven Rise Farm

Friendly Haven Rise Farm
www.FriendlyHaven.com
A biodynamic-organic farm with a sense of humor

Stay at our farm! We'll show you how to be with bees, care for the cow and giggle with the hens.
www.FriendlyHavenFarm.com

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  9:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Sounds awesome!!

My husband and I would love to host the same sort of thing someday.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  07:21:01 AM  Show Profile
Ewww I LOVE that Idea. It sounds WONDERFUL!
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  07:23:43 AM  Show Profile
That sounds wonderful! Makes me wish I lived closer to you because I'd sure sign up!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  5:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
OMG I'd love to get there! WOW. Someday when I have the $ to travel and not worry about work I will have to get out there! Hopefully that is soon. The rate I'm going with life that will happen:) Keep up the dream and good work! I'm envious :):):):) xox

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Friendly Haven
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Jacqueline
Venersborg WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  10:21:28 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, thanks for the pats on the back, gals! Help me out with a question here about kids on the farm.

Up to now we've not had people with kids come because we've been really wary about kids wandering around unsupervised when they don't know how a farm works. Things like electric fence, big animals who (sweet as they are) are not like cartoon animals, and little things like the kids who visited last summer and mistakenly left the chick gate open and all but four of our spring chicks were eaten that evening. These aren't things done meanly. We're just concerned that kids who haven't been raised on a farm don't know things that are common sense, you know? And yet we WANT more kids to be in the farm environment so they can reconnect with nature. We're all here, of course, because we know how wonderful that is like.

I've had plenty of requests from parents who want to bring their kids but I'm not sure how to go about that so it always is a great experience. Last year we let one woman bring her three teens and sure enough, they got playing rough in the hammocks and the daughter broke her arm.

How do you make a farm kid-friendly? Fun, but safe. Anyone have any ideas?

warmly,
Jacqueline

Friendly Haven Rise Farm
www.FriendlyHaven.com

Stay at our farm! We'll show you how to be with bees, care for the cow and giggle with the hens.
Go to Top of Page

JunkGypsyJen
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jennifer
Mechanicstown OH
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  3:28:19 PM  Show Profile
I love the sound of your place and your visits! Fabulous. I just made my husband read, "How to Make Your Wife Happy!"

As for kids on the farm ... a farm is kid friendly already. The key is supervision and task management. Always have lots of eyes on kids and ALWAYS keep them busy. I have three kids, 8,7 and 2.5. I admit they grew up with "farm sense" but the dangers are real, even for them. I just try to involve them in whatever I'm doing, even cleaning out stalls (they seem to love that job for some reason, I think it's handling a big tool!) Chickens are GREAT pets for the kids and they like the responsibility. Supervision in your situation will keep all gates closed ... simple signs, "SHUT THE GATE, please", etc.

Gardening is a sure thing ... who doesn't love to dig in the dirt.

Just some suggestions ... :) Happy holidays! :)

Well-behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Friendly Haven
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Jacqueline
Venersborg WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  5:34:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jen, that sounds like you have experience on that topic! These sound like simple ways to prevent problems, too. We're learning as we go and smiling all the way. This is, after all, the life I always wanted to live.
warmly,
Jacqueline

Friendly Haven Rise Farm
www.FriendlyHaven.com

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Farm Stays for Holidays -- how we're doing them Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page