Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 We finally went to Farmer's Market!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic We finally went to Farmer's Market! Next Topic  

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  08:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
After 3 years, we have finally had enough of something to sell at the Cedar City Farmer's Market. This is a small, informal market held in a parking lot owned by a local business.

We took 11 dozen eggs and sold them all at $2.00 a doz (the going market rate).

We also had a flyer on our lambs and now have one spoken for in the next two weeks.

More importantly, we introduced folks to an "outside the box" idea for garden mulch... sheep's wool!

That's right, it has incredible water retention, awesome insulating properties, and is a long-term nitrogen source (fertilizer). You could see the "light bulbs" go off in folks' heads as I was talking to them.

Since this market is nearly 50 miles away, we'll only be going every two weeks this year.

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  09:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Shari,
Great job! How exciting. I am the Assistant director for our local farmers market and I so love it.. we have a blast every week ( although it is alot of really hard work as well).. going rate for eggs here is $3.50 per doz...but is comparable to what you pay in the local stores for less quality.. anyway, congrats!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  10:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
I'd really like to sell our eggs for $3 a dozen, but apparently that is too far above what folks get around here. The good news is that we're now getting Mom to understand that $1.75 is really too low.

This past week, white eggs were running $1.49 a doz on sale. Of course, we both know about those eggs.

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  12:25:46 PM  Show Profile
I have gone to the Saturday market now 3 times since moving here to K-Falls. Love it, we are now just getting local produce, herbs,candles, soaps and Breads & cheese. Our market lasts until October. I haven't seen eggs yet.. but there is a natural food store close to the market and I bought them for $3 a dozen.. *Gosh I can't wait to have my own chickens.. Hurry up spring! oh no.. wait I don't have a coop yet.. " one of those things on the winter honey do list.!

Keep life simple, to Simply live. Life is too short to worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  07:28:57 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to get over and visit the K-falls market! We are outside of Medford, and do the Ashland Markets and the Medford market. I used to go to K-falls all the time when I was working in the "real" world...that was one of my stores. I loved it! Good luck with your eggs, we sell ours at the Ashland market every week...and I won't tell you how much they are...ridiculous, but they pay it :)

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  1:21:28 PM  Show Profile
Shari:
Great news. Good luck selling more eggs.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  1:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Diana, I have a cousin in Central Point. In fact, I have ancestors buried in your neighborhood.

The "egg sales" have been interesting the past few weeks. Our "local valley folks", who Mom thinks should get their eggs for $1.75 heard we were selling for more across the mountains, and they're doing their best to ensure we don't have eggs to take to market.

We'll be doubling the size of our coop in very early spring to increase our sales.

This past time at market, we had onions to sell, and they went faster than I could have believed.

Also, our scruffy wool (fleeces) have been selling well for "garden mulch". We've even had people calling us to bring multiple bags of the stuff.

Next week, we'll have more onions, maybe a few "Kennebec" potatoes, eggs, possibly some Butternut squash, and wool.

Shari Thomas

Who's giving serious thought (j/k) to changing "Four Country Gals" to "Ms McDonald's Farm" as we're now adding a preggie cow, due in early September.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  2:52:46 PM  Show Profile
How nice to get such good results from one visit to the farmer's market. I never thought of wool as a good mulch, but it makes perfect sense, too bad i don't have any sheep....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ani Pani
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Aniela
San Francisco Ca
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  9:29:07 PM  Show Profile
If anyone ever has the chance to go to san francisco....you MUST go to farmers market at the ferry building on saturdays!!!!! It is right on the bay and always sunny and beautiful view.!!! It is such an amazing experience. Yummy cheeses, fresh fruit, organicberry and mango smoothies, really pretty jewelry, and music, etc. Some stuff is pricey but all in all farely inexpensive and very well worth it. My friend works there and sometimes we go volunteer to help her sell, she sells point reyes bleu cheese and white cheddar. Its always of much fun. Anyway, I love Farmers Market !!!

(*_*)y
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  11:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
I can second that!

Also, watch to see if any of the top restaurants are throwing a party that includes a "Farmers' Market" made up of their "local" purveyors. When I was in the rabbit processing business, I supplied Chez Pannisse. To celebrate their 20th Anniversary, they held a "Farmers' Market" on the street in front of the restaurant.

While I did have to drive nearly 1200 miles round trip, I also made over $1600 in less than four hours. And, aside from the fuel for my van, all my other expenses were paid by Alice herself.

Shari Thomas

Who's giving serious thought (j/k) to changing "Four Country Gals" to "Ms McDonald's Farm" as we're now adding a preggie cow, due in early September.
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:40:48 PM  Show Profile
My friend and I went the last 2 years to 2 Farmers Markets per week, whew!..am glad thats over, but, did very well, French Bread went for $4.00 per laof, Cinnamon roll went for the same, and so did my Farmhouse It. Parmesan,she took Cinnamon rolls, pies, and Dinner rolls,,we do very well, I dont know if someone could live off of it, but, we do well for just a Farmers Market.
My Organic Colored Peppers, went for $2.25 per 1 pound. We sell all of our vegs. by the pound, get more we feel....

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com

Edited by - 5 acre Farmgirl on Oct 14 2008 1:42:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  9:40:00 PM  Show Profile
I am thinking of doing the farmers market next year and I was wondering... has anyone seen anyone selling home grown grass fed beef? I know proper labeling is necessary but I was just wondering. I was also planning on cut flowers, produce and preserves.
merry christmas
Becky

I am one with my inner farm girl!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  10:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Gosh I wish there was a farmer's market near there. There isn't at all.
Shari..that is great that you did so well with your eggs and wool!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  05:55:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey Becky, I sell at our local market and there is a guy that sells grass-fed beef. He has a big truck with freezers. He's like $5.oo a lb for burger. That's all I can recall on prices b/c that's all I'd get. Can't afford the steaks or roasts.

There is a local guy here in Flintstone who has buffalo. I've bought sausage and burger from him also at $5.00 per lb. too. He did come this past summer to the market and just had a cooler in the back of his truck. He was not really set up for the market. But does a great business at rest. and personal sales from his ranch.

I think both are inspected regularly. They have to be to sell off farm.

I can't wait til spring to go again! It's so fun. I sold feta cheese for a few weeks and made lots of money til I was told I couldn't sell there without being certified and all that red tape stuff. I cannot afford to do that. So I'll just sell from home.

Kris

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  2:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
One option you might consider is taking prepaid orders for 1/4's or sides of beef at the market. This works if you have a custom slaughter plant in your area.

To give you an example, we made up flyers that showed off our live lambs, telling folks that we were taking orders for whole or half lambs to be sent to the plant on a certain date. We determined the cost "on the hoof" based on the highest auction prices obtained during the previous 6 months.

We contacted both our local plants and got their slaughter, cut and wrap prices for the customers as well as dates (days) we could go to the plant with the animals.

We sold one lamb this way, having sold two others younger and live. We took three lambs to auction, and could have sold at least two more to folks who want to come out and kill their own. They're Muslim and want to Ha'al slaughter for ritual purposes, something I'm working to do this next year.

I have at least two roommates who aren't too sure at this point. We need to do a little construction and they're thinking costs are an issue. I think we have pretty much all we need since we dismantled that small barn in town.

As for pricing the animals slaughtered on site, my plan is to again go with the high auction price for live weight.

I determine the live weight as follows... This method is in the "Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep" by Paula Simmons and Carol Ekarius.

1. Measure all the way around the sheep's body with a tape measure just behind the front legs. Measurement=C. (If the sheep is in full fleece, part the wool so the measurement is accurate.)

2. Measure the length of the body from the point of the shoulder to the point of the rump. Measurement = AB.

3. Multiply (C x C x AB)and divide by 300.

I've used this method for two years and have been within a couple pounds of the actual weight.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 7 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  2:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Jenny, how close are you to the I-15 corridor? Would it be possible to start up a small market in one of the towns along the freeway? Depending upon how far you are from Payson (pretty much the end of suburbia to Salt Lake) maybe you could get something going.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 7 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic We finally went to Farmer's Market! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page