Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Alfalfa farming....anyone dooing it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Alfalfa farming....anyone dooing it? Next Topic  

whenagirlovesagoat
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

vanessa
washoe valley nevada
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  2:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi....I am trying to get info on growing alfalfa,fertilizing, irregating & crop rotation. I found a place that already has established alfalfa fields, but my husbands says I have to learn more about it before he is willing to jump in...this place already has irregation in place...and a dairy buys the crop yeild. The total land in 23 acres....17 in alfalfa. Thanks for any input!

Hands to work, hearts to God.

Rusti-Kate
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Katherine
Spirit Lake Idaho
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  4:37:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Vanessa!

You know I have thought about putting a few acres into alfalfa, and have done some prelim research on it (The whole potential of a 3.5 tons per acre per cutting yield appeals to me !. The seed is pretty expensive, and you have to reseed every so many years. Already having the initial crop and irrigation to the place is huge, plus having a buyer (it must be primo alfalfa if a dairy is buying!). There are a couple of ways you could do it. One you do all of the work, including processing, which means the expense of tractor(s) parts, diesel, mower, rake, twine, and baler. Or you could do stumpage as a 60/40 split.

I helped my Grandpa with his custom cut and bale operation for years. He owned his own equipment, and would do fields on a percentage basis, as in he would get 60% of the crop from either cash or the hay itself. That leaves the owner with just caring for the fields and still having an income without the outlay for equipment. Of course if you have your own equipment this option is probably me just wasting words!

As far as fertilizer goes, with alfalfa being a legume and nitrogen fixer, I still have a bit of research to do in that area, but with hay prices being the way they are, I imagine it could be a good opportunity for your family. I just hope one or both of you are handy with machinery, some of the most amazing words used to come out of Grandpa's mouth when he was tending to the equipment !!! And a squeeze!!! May God bless you in your decision!!!
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  5:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
I live in the middle of a very prolific alfalfa area. There are at least 30 circles in this valley (circles being average 100 acres each).

Now, I don't raise any alfalfa as I don't have enough water. Utah rates the "water tariff" at 3.2 acre-feet of water to one acre of crop. I know that when your irrigation equipment needs work, it's always at the worst time. Also, by observing the guys here, I see they are installing extenders to get the sprinkler heads closer to the tops of the plants. That conserves water.

In our valley, we always get three cuttings and really consider it a good year to get four cuttings. Your dairy folks will most likely buy only 2nd and 3rd cuttings as the first and fourth cuttings are pretty hot.

Basically, the first cutting is real leafy and high in nitrogen. That makes it good for race horses.

The second and third cuttings get to grow a little longer, have more stems, and tend to be lower in nitrogen and are considered the best "all around" alfalfa.

The fourth cutting gets taken young and tends to be very leafy again, so it's pretty hot, too.

I might recommend you contact the local County Agent to see what they're recommending in the way of fertilizer, etc. They may even put you in contact with a local farmer to help. Often, the growing conditions from one location are different enough that advice needs to be obtained locally.

I am also observing that the alfalfa growers here are storing HUGE amounts, having had to harvest at a high fuel cost, and now hoping that the price doesn't drop too far. FYI, we paid 10.25 per 3-string bale (approx 125 lbs), delivered by the 70 bale stack. That put our cost at about $164 per ton.

For winter, they lease their fields to cattle ranchers, rodeo stock folks, and sheep herders for the animals to graze.

Hope this helps,
Shari

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 6 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

Rusti-Kate
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Katherine
Spirit Lake Idaho
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  6:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Shari, you are a fountain of information! You inadvertently gave me a good laugh when you stated the "farmers dilemma,"

"I know that when your irrigation equipment needs work, it's always at the worst time."

ROTFL! Sorry, I know I have a weird sense of humor, but it seems to happen this way with everything on the farm!

Katie
Go to Top of Page

whenagirlovesagoat
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

vanessa
washoe valley nevada
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  06:54:03 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Thanks ladies! The property does not come with any harvesting equiptment...but one of the local area farmers cuts & bails it for $40 per ton...the dairy is buying it for $200 per ton( and if I sell it to the general public, it's going for @ $250-$275....it sounds like it is probably costing another $50-$60 per ton is diesel to pump the water dor the sprinklers...so net is probably about $100 per ton. Right now the guy is getting just over 5 tons per acre...with poor management...I think I could get at least 8 tons per acre, maybe even the "GOLDEN" 10 tons per acre. I am also farming red wigglers...hoping to use the castings as fertilizer and pest control....everything else I grow with the castings goes crazy!!! And the casting tea has been an amazing pesticide...and it's all natural...just worm poop!....I read in Mary Jane's book...ummm...the life book.....that Daikon radishes are great soil regeneraters, but I don't know how they would do being the cover or rotation crop for alfalfa....anybody else know???...
Having a small flock of sheep(7) and 8 goats....umpteen chickens, a pig, peacocks...bunnies, dogs, cats, two horses and WOO HOO I just got a set of Bourbon Red turkeys!!!.....Sorry- still REALLY excited- the extra cuttings that the dairy won't buy will do nicely to maintain my criiters.
We are living(renting) on @1 1/2 acres right now....it's gettin' crowded....if we were to take the new place, it would put us on 23 acres...the water rights are available in an appropriate amount (4 ft to 1 acre)....our rent would go DOWN by almost $250 per month, but we would be paying for the deisel upfront. Now...my husband's comute would go from 30 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes...he's not too thrilled because he works a minimum of 10 hour days....so he's beat...that leaves me to tend all our animals, plant a garden, tend the alfalfa and tend our three daughters....3 1/2, 2 1/2 & 5 months......My husband is exceptionally handy with everything farm...equiptment, plumbing, he is a commercial electrician(apprentice) and knows how to drive everything......but of corse....when the problems come, it will be when he is not home, which will be ALOT!
AND...we will be 2 hours from anyone we know.My husband thinks I'm crazy to try to take this on...but he wants to only be working part time at his "white man's job" in 5 years and be able to farm the rest of the time.....the guy who owns this property-and the water rights- is willing to lease option .....he is asking about 1 1/2 times what the going rate is for water rights in this area....but he would be carrying all the paper....and we are not able to qualify for the kind of laon we would need to buy this kind of property.....so....I think it's worth the extra $ for the water and the extra hour driving. So there are many pros...and a few BIG cons....I think it's worth it...but please...someone....if I am crazy...speak up...I need real input...this is our life....oh..one more thing...there is no fencing...so that right there is a HUGE cost...but I am the QUEEN of scrounging fence supplies! If I see someone not using their stuff, I ask about it....and I have been given alot!...Sorry this was so long....but I truly, truly need advice, thoughts, PRAYERS!!!!

Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  6:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Here's my take on it... we made a huge leap of faith with the move we all made. You can read my story at both FourCountryGals.com and then the followup at Shari's Gone Country!

Right now, even though electricians theoretically should never be out of work, nothing is guaranteed on that end. How long before he gets his journeyman license? That could help you with your decision making. He may find work closer once he becomes a journeyman.

The lease-option would give you the opportunity to "try things out" before plunking your life down. Will the owner also mentor you in this process, and are you willing to become a student?

Our property isn't completely fenced, and we've simply made small paddocks using cattle panels, as well as used railroad ties and second-hand field wire for our corrals. We had a horse for a year before we even had a round pen of any kind.

As for being 2 hours from anyone you know... be sure to quickly get acquainted with your nearest neighbors. They'll be most valuable assets. Oh, and be sure to think of things you can do in return, you know, "pay it forward".

I take it your somewhere near Reno. There is a good university with some ag programs where you should also find help.

Keep us posted on what you decide,
Shari

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 6 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  6:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Rusti-Kate, it's funny how things never break when sitting idle. They don't start, or they start and die, or you leave them alone, and whoops... they die!

That said, a good preventive maintenance plan is a must. Better to oil something BEFORE it screams at you.

Shari Thomas

Go to Top of Page

whenagirlovesagoat
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

vanessa
washoe valley nevada
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  7:13:36 PM  Show Profile
Man....I was really gettin' down there for a little while...I'm so glad I stopped in to see if there were any posts...Thanks Shari!....and yes, I do live just outside of Reno right now!

I realized today that I used to work with a gal...and we still sorta maintain a friendship....who lived in the area of this property (Yerington)....she knew exactly where the place was...referred to it as "poverty flats"....and almost had me completely talked out of it.

She wants to take me on a tour of the area this weekend, and again try to convince me to run away fast!!!LOL!!! But then I remebered why I never enjoyed working with her...she is a MAJOR GROUCHY PESSIMIST...yes, she and her former husnabd did own 1300 acres of working ranch land( with ranch hands & foremen, etc...)...but I think she hated every minute of it!

...So I am still gonna go on the tour with her...but I'm bringing my giant grain of salt for whatever she has to say...but I will also glean for actual useful info!

I'm gonna go read your story now!
Thanks Again....

Go to Top of Page

whenagirlovesagoat
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

vanessa
washoe valley nevada
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  08:15:43 AM  Show Profile
Alright...road trip to check out property cancelled...My husband had to do a job out past this place we were looking at, so he timed the drive, taking two different routes....he didn't even make it all the way to the property and it was more than two hours...one way!!! So it's a deffinate no go.....oh well....we'll just keep lookin'!
Thanks for the imput, Shari & Kate!

Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  09:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Vanessa, when the time is right, you'll get your property. Perhaps concentrating on getting hubby through the apprentice level and up to the journeyman electrician level will open more doors for you.

Shari Thomas

Go to Top of Page

Rusti-Kate
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Katherine
Spirit Lake Idaho
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  10:58:55 AM  Show Profile
Shari-LOL I totally agree with preventive maintenance, I spend way more time working on the tractor than my hair ! Seriously though, my Grandpa taught me to put things away as you found them, keep them greased, and always keep your work area clean, so that when they do break on you, you have somewhere clean to put it back together. Now if I could only keep my house this way

Vanessa-My husband and I tried to buy lots of different properties before finding the right one, which came to us through a very weird set of circumstances, so I know that it will happen for you when the time is right! Congrats by the way on your Bourbons, we love our Jim Bean, he's so spunky, and drives his Blue Slate friend crazy with his antics!

Katie
Go to Top of Page

whenagirlovesagoat
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

vanessa
washoe valley nevada
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  2:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Jim Beam!!! That's good...hadn't thought of that one...LOL!!! Well...my husband...his name is West....decided yesterday that in fact, he did want to go see this place...WTH???....Anyway, we go...oy...who ever is "care-taking" this place would be in big trouble if the owners ever showed up unexpectedly! It was a mess...teen agers hangin' around smokin'...doing burn outs with ATVs in the crop fields!!!
There was just so much that could be done to improve productivity and crop quality, but I don't know that it will be us doing it....ya'll are right...when it's right, we will know!...But we are gonna let the owner( he lives out of state) know what his equipment looked like out there...UG! And what the general condition of the property is...and we are gonna stay right here...unless something amazing comes up with flashing lights on it, spelling out our name!!!
Thanks again, ladies!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Alfalfa farming....anyone dooing it? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page