jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  4:43:32 PM  Show Profile
Spent my day today, and it was a good day, making jar mixes for Christmas. I made Mocha Coffee, Potato Soup, and Turkey Noddle Soup mixes. The Turkey one is good because you can use leftover holiday turkey to make a pot of noodle soup. Now I need to find some fabric that is deep and rich red to put on the jars, and some twine to attach the recipe cards, and I will have some nice little gifts for folks. It was a great day in the kitchen!

If you want the recipes, I will post them!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  5:00:36 PM  Show Profile
yes! please post the recipes! thanks.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  5:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jeannie- You could also use Raffia if you have some on hand. I got some of that red curly wood stuff that you get from a craft store and put it in a jar and tied a ribbon around the mouth of the jar in a matching red raffia and it looks very festive. In fact, I think I am going to go put it on my dining room table as my holiday centerpiece.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  5:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie thanks for reminding of those! I have a recipe book somewhere around here that has some jar mix recipes. And I am really "squeezed" this year so I need to make almost everything....not that I don't mind...I love giving and getting homemade gifts. please post yours and if I find my reicpes I will post those too! Thanks so much! I am making family "baskets" with homemade pickles and jam and these mixes would be great too along with some spiced tea mix, homemade Christmas cookies and our traditional chex mix. I get such great ideas from you gals!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  6:09:08 PM  Show Profile
ooh yes, I would love the recipes. They sound delish! When DH and I were getting married, my mom made up a ton of these wonderful jar mixes of everything you could think of. Hot cocoa, soups, chilis, all kinda of things. It was great!! Especially as a newlywed couple, it made a great dinner for just the two of us and very easy to put together after work since it was all right there..hmm..kinda I may have to hint a little for Christmas....more would be nice..lol:)
HUGS

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  6:52:00 PM  Show Profile
that's what I'm making too! only it's triple chocolate macadamia nut cookies... lol

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  07:21:23 AM  Show Profile
Funny, we're all on the same "page" this year - I was looking through my gift wrap just wondering what I needed for Christmas this year (thank goodness I have enough left from last year!) and ran across a gift jar recipe book I purchased a couple of years ago that I never used. It has all sorts of recipes for sweets, soaps, spice mixes, etc. Complete with printed recipe cards on how to use the jar goods for the recipient. I did a Costco run yesterday and bought all of the special ingredients I needed so I'm set to make a bunch. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  11:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Please post the recipes they sound great! I made a bunch up last year and they were a big hit!

Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  12:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Okay, here they are:

Spiced Mocha Coffee

1/3 cup instant coffee
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. dried orange peel

fits into a pint jar, but I made three batches, and had one pint jar and three 1/2 pint jars

include this for instruction: 1 T. coffee mix, 6 ounces boiling water. Pour water over mix in your favorite mug. Garnish with shaved chocolate, cinnamon, or even whipped cream.

Turkey Noodle Soup - use quart jar

1 cup (8 ounces) uncooked fine egg noodles (8 ounces for me was 1/2 bag)
1 1/2 T. chicken boullion
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. dried thyme (whole)
1/8 tsp. celery seeds
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 bay leaf, tucked into the jar last

Recipe:

I jar turkey noodle soup mix
8 cup water
2 carrots, chopped fine
2 stalks celery, chopped fine
1/4 cup fresh onion, chopped fine
3 cup cooked, diced turkey meat

Combine all ingredients in a stockpot, except turkey and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes. Discard bay leaf and add turkey. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes.

Potato Soup - use quart jar

1 3/4 cups instant mashed potatoes
1 1/2 cups dry milk
2 T. instant chicken boullion
2 tsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1/4 tsp. thyme powdered
1/8 tsp. tumeric
1 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt

Place 1/2 cup mix in a bowl. Add i cup boiling water, and stir until smooth.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 18 2008 12:10:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  12:51:28 PM  Show Profile
They all sound great. Have you sent them in for the Farmgirl Two cookbook? I know Julie was asking for more recipes...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  1:20:17 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie - these are great! Thanks for sharing the recipes.

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  1:33:04 PM  Show Profile
anybody have any other tried and true "wow them!" Christmas gift recipes? or more jar mixes that have received raves from the recipient?
please share them!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  2:40:49 PM  Show Profile
I am doing some jar mixes too. Also making my English Muffin bread it is sooo good.

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  05:41:37 AM  Show Profile
i've never made a jar recipe, but they look great! i'd like to make them as gifts, too.....but tell me please, what size jar do you use?? and i like the idea of including either cookies with the coffee mix or maybe bread with the soup mix. thanks:)
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  06:52:24 AM  Show Profile
I used mostly quart jars. A friend of mine who uses a lot of classico spaghetti sauce saves the jars for me and I buy canning lids. For the coffee mix, I used pint and 1/2 pint jars. I saw another really good one in the paper today. It sounds much more "gourmet" and the ingredients may cost more, but it sounds good. Here it is:

Creamy Italian Chicken Mushroom Soup
1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. powdered garlic
1 T. dried minced onion
2 1/2 ounce packages dried porcini mushrooms, cut or broken into small pieces
1/4 cup dried red bell peppers (optional)
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients in a larg bowl. Mix well and pour into a large jar or a cellophane gift bag tied with a decorative bow.

To make soup:
In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients with 3 1/4 cups chicken broth and 1 1/4 pounds of cooked boneless chicken breasts cut into small chunks. Bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Then let it stand off heat for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup sour cream and serve. serves 4

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  08:08:44 AM  Show Profile
You can also find recipes online by just typing in jar mix recipes (try allrecipes.com and recipezaar.com).

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

Phyllis
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Phyllis
AR
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  12:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Phyllis a Yahoo! Message
Josie,

Can you post your English Muffin Bread recipe. I used to have a recipe that made 2 loaves and I can't seem to locate. If was very good and easy to make.

Thanks,
Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  5:47:35 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,
Take a look at http://www.giftinajarrecipes.com

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  5:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Sherri,
Would you mind sharing the recipe for triple chocolate macadamia nut cookies? Thank you.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  08:13:47 AM  Show Profile
I will be glad to share the recipe, but I first have to say that I have not actually made the cookies yet, the recipe is from a 'gifts from a jar' book, and secondly, it is supposed to fit into a Quart sized jar and it DOESN'T...lol... The sugars and other dry ingreds fit ok, but the choc chips and nuts won't fit, but I decided to put them in a cute little bag attached to the jar...I only wish I would have made one complete jar first to try it out...I thought I was smart and set out an "assembly line" of 10 jars! So I have 10 unfinished jars on my counter...lol...I will finish them today with my separate bag idea.... They are for my co-worker girlfriends...they will understand :) I will grab a coffee and type the recipe into another post in a few.... hugs... sherry

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  08:49:39 AM  Show Profile
ok here goes... Triple Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies ... makes one 1-quart jar (yeah right) lol

2 1/4 cups all purp flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup semi-sweet choc chips
1/2 cup white choc chips
1/2 chopped macadamia nuts

1. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a med. bowl. Layer into a 1-qt jar with a tight-fitting lid a third at a time,packing down lightly after each addition. Place sugars into a resealable food storage bag. Place choc chips in another resealable bag. Place bags in jar.
2. Cover top of jar with fabric; attach gift tag/recipe card with raffia or ribbon.

Making the cookies.....

1 jar cookie mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 Tbsp milk

1. Preheat oven to 375 deg. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Remove packets from jar. Mix sugars, butter, vanilla, eggs and milk in large bowl with electric mixer until creamy. Add remaining contents of jar to the wet mixture a third at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in chips and nuts with spoon.
3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart in prepared baking sheet. (if dough is sticky, dust hands with cocoa powder) Bake 10 to 12 mins. Cool 5 mins on baking sheet; transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container.

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  11:21:48 AM  Show Profile
When I made jar recipes before I had to really shake the dry stuff down or pack in there so the other stuff fits. It usually will eventually but you have to shake it a lot so it settles. Hope that helps...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  12:10:27 PM  Show Profile
thank you for posting the recipes! I really needed some help with ideas and these sound great!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  1:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Phyllis, I have a good english muffin bread recipe that I have been making for years and years...
English Muffin Loaves

5 1/2 to 6 cups all purpose flour (start with 3 cups, measure by spooning lightly into measuring cup)
2 pkgs active dry yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cornmeal (sprinkle into 2 greased 8 1/2 by 4 1/2" loaf pans, coating bottom and sides)

Combine 3 cups flour and other dry ingredients, including yeast in a large mixing bowl. Heat liquids until very warm (120 to 130 deg. F). Add to dry ingredients and beat well. Stir in enough more flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Sprinkle tops with cornmeal. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. Bake at 400 deg. for 25 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on a wire rack.

Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  7:42:22 PM  Show Profile
Sherri,
Thank you so much for sharing those recipes. They sound yummy!

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  11:02:50 AM  Show Profile
Here is a great recipe that we put in jars and give to the kids teachers and such, you don't eat it but it is really YUMMY.
Sugar and spice body scrub
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup oil
(canola, light olive oil,almond oil,sunflower oil,safflower or any combination of these)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
6 to 8 drops scented essential oil (clove or cinnamon)
1 one inch long peice of vanilla bean

Place sugar in mixing bowl and add in oil , essential oil and spices combine well place vanilla in bottom of wide mouth container and fill with sugar mixture.

To use: pick up the sugar and spice scrub with the tips of wet fingers or pour out about a tablespoon in the palm of your hand rub gently on your skin rinse with warm water then cool water, blot dry

This is awesome on dry hands!!

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Jar Mixes Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page