Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 As I was plowin' thru in the garden....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic As I was plowin' thru in the garden.... Next Topic  

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  09:24:51 AM  Show Profile
my hands turned brown - and not from dirt. We have a pile of leaves that has been waiting for my attention. After a walk, I began spreading the leaves on the garden rows. I have all raised rows in a 100 by 40 foot garden. Some of the leaves have been mulched, some have not. Some were wet, some were not. Some were "hot", some were not. At one point I took off my glove - and my hand was literally dyed brown. It was actually quite fascinating. I've now scrubbed my hands many times, and really, they are the color of fine leather. I know that it will wear off. I couldn't help but to think of the Native Americans and discovering "dye" from nature.

Though we have already had snow here, we also have lingering willow leaves on branches. We tend to keep raking and spreading leaves into December.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  11:21:26 AM  Show Profile
Were they Walnut leaves? We used to have walnut trees and my hands would turn brown and yellow--kinda cool. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  03:35:26 AM  Show Profile
They weren't walnut leaves - mostly maple and elm, some willow. My hands still look horrible 3 days later! The kids don't want me to touch anything. My husband said that when he was growing up, he used to soak traps in buckets filled with water and tree bark. The acids that resulted would stain, seal and remove odors. Must be the same for these leaves?

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  04:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I believe it is that tannins in the leaves that stained your hands. I would assume that these leaves probably serve the same function that the tree bark did, but I am not sure.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic As I was plowin' thru in the garden.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page