SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  7:07:16 PM  Show Profile
My daughter has a bunny that she got for her birthday this summer; it's really cute and furry--it's a Jersey woolly--he's in an outdoor hutch with straw and one part is open to the elements. So my question is, how warm does he need to be kept for the winter? If we just cover over that open section is that okay? Or since it's just him with nobody to share body heat with, does he need something more? We are in Ohio and it doesn't get much below the 20's for long periods of time. Thanks for the info!

Rusti-Kate
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Katherine
Spirit Lake Idaho
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  10:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sheila,

I'm new here, but I have had and worked with rabbits for awhile, and as long as the opening that is facing the elements is not facing the direction of the predominate winds in your area you should be fine! Rabbits are usually fine in the cold, they just don't tolerate drafts or tons of heat well. Keeping his water thawed is going to be the most fun for you!!

Most of the books I have read and breeders that I know tend to keep their rabbits in separate cages as they tend to do the best when they don't have company with them. Sometimes two neutered males will be good cage mates if they have been raised together or introduced, occasionally females, so if you do get him a buddy I would defintely let them have a playdate first!

Jersey Wooly's are so cute, and that made me think of a question, how is his wool holding up with the straw? I have my rabbits (They are lionheads) on standard wire floor hutches (they also get outside on the grass playtime, which is what they prefer!), and if I keep them on any other surface they mat up horribly.
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  07:28:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Katherine, thanks for the insights. Our Jersey woolly's fur is nice and fluffy on the straw. We had him on wood shavings for awhile, but they got caught up in his fur much more easily. The straw seems to be working great! So much so that my 4 year old (his owner) complains that she doesn't have to "brush his hair" anymore except just for fun!
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  08:03:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sheila
I just love Jersey woolly's. We had several during the years that we raised fiber bunnies - I had not only Jersey's but Frence Angoras. I found that if you place wood shavings in the cages or hutches they might eat them - most are treated and not healthy for them. The straw is natural and if the eat some - no worries. Also from a fiber standpoint shavings are not what you want in the fiber.

As for being outside drafts are key. You can always cover the hutch with canvas during the worst of times to keep the drafts out. What I did was purchase a drop cloth canvas and the sewed a bias tape on it and then threaded a cotton cord thru the bias tape and left enough to tie. Then when I covered the hutch you would just pull the cords and tie it. Kept it from blowin off and also they had plenty of good air from the bottom. I would also place a bale of straw under the hutch to give alittle bit more warmth but also it caught the peep and poop. Come summer the straw went into the compost and broke down wonderfully. The poop I did clear away when weather allowed - hope that helps some. Hug that bunny from me.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rusti-Kate
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Katherine
Spirit Lake Idaho
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  11:40:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sheila!

Thanks for the comments about the straw, I have found that straw is really useful in about a million ways! I really love Grace's idea about putting the bale underneath the hutch for warmth and a farm like compost collector. I definitely know what you mean about shavings, they are mat city waiting to happen for fiber bunnies! I'm glad your 4 yr old is having so much fun with his bun, we love ours!

Katie
(Katherine is my grown up name )
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic bunny in winter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page