Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Furniture upholstery anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Furniture upholstery anyone? Next Topic  

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  10:38:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking (very abstractly) about starting a furniture upholstery business to do over the winter in the off season. Does anyone do upholstery on the side or otherwise? How do you price your services? How do you advertise? Any and all information would be appreciated.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  10:50:37 AM  Show Profile
Hey...I was thinking of the same thing so I am interested too! I have gotten the books recommended in MJ's book and I have some tools since I took a class years ago and reupholstered my couch and chair back then. I would need a heavy duty sewing machine and air compressor for the staple gun. I want to practice on my own pieces first to get the kinks out and then hang up my shingle. I definitely would NOT charge by the hour since I tend to take my time and want to do things right and not be too rushed and then do THEY buy the material or do you? Are you going to do slipcovers too or just upholstery? Let's stay in touch! And I will definitely subscribe to this post!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  11:11:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sandra, it would be so great to go through this process with someone else! I'm in the same boat as you...I've taken a class, but need a bit more 'practice', I have the air compressor and staple gun, bought some books...but don't have a heavy duty sewing machine. I was thinking about refurbishing my Grandma's treadle and using it, too crazy? Hadn't even considered slipcovers...they seem like more work than a straight re-upohlster, but maybe. Definately stay in touch!

Celeste

--Confucious

Edited by - clux64 on Nov 11 2008 4:31:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  11:59:18 AM  Show Profile
How about promoting your services on Craigslist?

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  12:28:27 PM  Show Profile
Great idea Bonne! Celeste...can I ask what kind of staple gun and compressor you got? It's been so long I can't remember what size you need.

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  12:56:52 PM  Show Profile
They only thing I found was when my friend and renter was in the buisness she had a hard time with the fact that an reupholsterd chair cost just as much as new chair. With fabric cost and foam rubber costs on the rise and shipping she got out of it if you live in a larger city where you could go and purchase your materials it might be a easier go. Fabrics are usually purchased by the customer up front be very careful what they pick as some will work up easier than others. getting sample books was a real pain too.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  4:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Bonne...Craigslist is a good idea. In my case it actually may produce more business than I'm looking for. There used to be an upholsterer in our small town who passed away several years ago, so there's kind of a spot for such a service here. Plus, my neighbor down the road about a mile sells and refinishes antique furniture--but no upholstering, so we might be able to work something out together I'm thinking. Diana, you are right about the cost. If you go crazy with fabric, the cost could be more than new...however in an antique it could be worth it. Sandra, my hubby has one of those small, pancake air compressors (2horse, 6gal, 40PSI) and I bought a bostich pneumatic staple gun because it was the only one Lowes carried! We use that gun for all kinds of stuff, but for upholstery I picked up some 16mm staples because they pretty much matched the size of the staples I took out of the thing I was covering. You know, Craigslist might be a good place to find those kind of tools...hmmmmmm.

Celeste

--Confucious

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  5:32:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Celeste....I have been maening to get out on Craigslist here too and that may be just the trigger to get me there! I have some furniture to sell on there also. thanks for the specifics on the stapler and compressor too! I just got a booth at the local flea market so I'm busy with that oo...hopefully it will all bring "multiple streams of income"!
Stay in touch and let me know how you're doing!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Furniture upholstery anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page