Page: of 2

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  05:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi farmgirl sistas,
I am going to send my 8 year old son to a group home. I cannot handle him any longer. He is mildly autistic and adhd and most of all Opositional Defiant Disorder. He is stronger, more angry and bold.
He has been in Psychiatric hospital twice within 4 months. This partial day program hospital he is in brings him home to me after school and all weekend. He tells me of the violence he does to them during the day and they have restrained him at least once in the first week out of hospital. I could go on and on about the things at home but I won't, like running off, confronting all kids and then getting bullied for his words. I can't have him with other kids and he treats me the same. At least one temper fit a day at home.

I walk with a cane now and get therapy off and on for vertigo and also pinched nerves in my back. I can't chase him or restrain him. Lately I can't get him to stop cursing at me.
I am putting enough of this in writing to help me with it and to ask for supportive feedback and prayers.

His dad is in Afghanistan and couldn't handle him when he was home. He gets to angry and impatient. Before Dannny boy gets really hurt I will do what I can to keep all of us safe.

He has been suicidal and also has a gender disorder....obsessed with wanting to be a girl....anyway there is more but this is enough to share.

I know that I am a great mother and will do the best for all concered but I will not live with anyone who throws things around and threatens me and curses at me often.

I am calling his caseworker on Monday finally. I knew this day would come and he is 8 1/2 now. It will only get worse as he gets older.

I am going to get a one bedroom place with no steps and a shower bar for my bathtub. I am almost 59 yrs old....God, I have done amazing job with him to last this long.

Thanks for your loving encouragement. This is one of the hardest decisions I have had to make. I am asking them to take him before it's an emergency and I have no choice.

Linda

Edited by - yarnmamma on Nov 16 2008 4:42:41 PM

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  05:46:09 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I am sending you all the hugs and encouragement I can!! Before I had my own babies I worked in a group home for autistic and mentally challenged children and then also one with children who were in trouble...they were taken from their parents for various reasons. Anyway I absolutely know what you mean with the ODD and the ADHD and the challenges both of these disorders bring. The staff in the home will be better equipped to handle these issues...especially because of your health issues. I was only in my early 20's and I have injuries I still deal with from incidents with these children. One of them got loose from a restraint and I ended up with 4 broken ribs as a result. NO ONE should be critical of your decision to do this for your son. God bless you for what you have done for him. HUGS TO YOU>
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  06:08:07 AM  Show Profile
Best of luck. You know your decision is the right one for you and your family and for Danny. Bless you all. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  06:10:07 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I know you have been struggling with this for a long time now. I think in the long run your decisions will help you, Danny, and the rest of your family. I have the most respect for your decision, I know you have really thought about this as much as you possibly can. Good Luck to all of you.

http://hectichousehold.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  06:23:16 AM  Show Profile
Linda-My prayers go out to you and also Danny. Sometimes the most loving decisions we have to make are the hardest. I know you are doing what any mother does, and that is doing what is best for your child and your family.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  06:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Linda-

I think you are an awesome mom. You have done amazing with Danny Boy and doing much of it alone. I think you are doing the right thing. You need to be safe, and Danny needs to be safe. He might not understand how dangerous his behavior is for himself, let alone for you.

I know this will be hard for you too. Please know I am always here. Please email or call if you need a shoulder to lean on! *Hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  06:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much all of you.....I sure need ya

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Yes! I live in the Scranton, PA "The Office" TV show is based on! LOL LOL
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  06:50:43 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I will be praying for your family! As Diana said sometimes the most loving decisions are the hardest! We are here for you and support you!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  07:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Linda, consider my arms around you in a hug. You are doing the best you can in the situation you have. My prayers for you and your son. Have peace within yourself.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  07:02:20 AM  Show Profile
Linda, my prayers are with you, also. I do not know what you have gone through or are going through right now, but it must be awful for you.

Do you have other children? It sounds like you do have some health problems, too, and you need to take care of that.

I will certainly be keeping you and your son in my thoughts and prayers. Esp. that he gets the care he needs at this time in his life. God be with you and your son.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  07:07:21 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I work in a home with adults with disabilites and understand how hard it is to take care of them. I understand your situation and you need to do what is best for you. These homes are equiped to take care of disorders such as your sons. Thats what they get paid for. I love my job and wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes you have to leave it up to those who know how to handle the situations and are a little more removed from the person then say the mom. I belive it would be best for both of you. Good Luck and God Bless!!!

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  07:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Linda, You are making the right choice for everyone here. I know that this must be hard, but I encourage you to go through with it for everyone's sake and safety. Danny will be better where he can have the help that he so badly needs. I understand *hugs* God Bless and may peace be with both of you soon.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  07:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Danny boy is adopted...we got him as a foster child 2 days old. I was 50 years old at the time. We had a long career of caring for foster children..all babies. My husband and I divorced 4 years ago and 2 out of the last 4 he has been in the war with Natl Guard. His choice and priority.
I have 2 grown sons not living near me...they are in their late 30s
It has been a wonderful life truly.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Yes! I live in the Scranton, PA "The Office" TV show is based on! LOL LOL
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  08:01:42 AM  Show Profile
Linda, MANY many hugs and prayers come fly your way across the ocean!!

Love ya!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
And also some pictures of my village, come for a visit
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  08:18:00 AM  Show Profile
Linda, this must have been a very difficult decision to make. It sounds like you have done the best thing for you and for Danny too. It would not be a kindness to him to let him grow up this way. It sounds like he needs more restraint than you can give him, just to keep him safe.

I understand a little bit where you are coming from. My parents have a foster son (3 years old) who they believe has Oppositional Defiant Disorder. They are finding it hard to control him already, and I hope it never gets to the point where he can seriously hurt them. We are praying that a diagnosis, medication, and behavioral therapy will help him. If they had custody of him, I believe he could grow up to live a healthy and normal life, but his mom is absolutely the cause of most of his problems. If she only cared about him enough to make the decision you've made for Danny...

Take care of yourself, and rest in the knowledge that he's safe and getting the best care.

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  09:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Linda

I am sending you a big hug. Sometimes the hardest decisions are made with the greatest of love. It's obvious you care enough to make the hard decision and do what is best for both of you. That takes such strength.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  09:59:15 AM  Show Profile
Dear Lord,
Please hold Linda's hand as she makes these decisions regarding Danny. Guide her and give her strength and peace. Danny is your child so please protect him. In your name I pray, Amen.

Blessings!
~Farrah
http://homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/
http://oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  10:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Linda, To love a child that much means to do what's best for the child. My heart goes out to you..You are a strong woman and I know your decision was a hard one to make. I hope your older children will support you in this decision.
((((hugs))))

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  12:59:55 PM  Show Profile
Linda, thinking of you and Danny and praying for peace in your decision and for your full health to return.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  6:59:02 PM  Show Profile
Linda girl,
This has been a long journey for you, filled with love, caring, joy and sorrows with Danny boy. You are making the right decision and you know this. It is also proably one of the hardiest ones you have had to make. Love has to make some very hard decisons sometimes and this sure has been one of them for you. I support you girlfriend in this decision, and know that I am praying for you and Danny. ((((HUGS))))

Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9374 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9374 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  8:41:39 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
I am praying for you and Danny. I am sure you are making the right choice. As others have said it takes a lot of love for him for you to make this choice. Sometimes it is difficult but you have to do what's best for him. You are a sweet and loving person as well as a great mom! Praying for your health as well.
Hugs dear one,

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 08 2008 8:43:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  9:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh friend- how many nights Ive thought about your struggle-

You are blessed to have peace that you are indeed a good mother! Remember that!!!!
I'm certain I can never fully understand or empathize with you- but surely God knows your needs and I'm asking Him to bless you doubly now!!!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  06:05:42 AM  Show Profile
Linda- Sending you a huge (((HUG))). I absolutely understand your decision and I applaud you for being brave enough to take this step. It will be a time of healing for you and your son. You have done the right thing.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  08:49:42 AM  Show Profile
Linda I can only imagine how difficult this must be for you. I want you to know that you have my full support. I know it was a hard decision but it really may be the best one for your son. If you ever need someone to talk to send me an email. I'll be glad to listen.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  4:40:35 PM  Show Profile
Linda, you've given so many years of your life unselfishly fostering "throwaway" children.
You should be proud of yourself and all that you have given to others in need. Danny needs professional
help now and you've made the right decision. ((Linda))

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  5:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Dear Linda & family

Please accept my thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Gosh and we all think we have it bad; you sound like a trooper and I believe that you have made the right decision! Make sure to take care of yourself too!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic big decision-new developments! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page