goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  07:37:30 AM  Show Profile
We may have a place and I was thinking of raising a few sheep. I want the meat type to sell for market. I haven't been on the net to do any research yet but I will.

The place we are looking at is too small for beefs but I was thinking of sheep instead. As I drive cross-country, I see lots of sheep, way more now than even recently.

Any good sheep information websites or books? I'll do my due diligence and research but wanted your advice too.

Winona

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  08:04:06 AM  Show Profile
Winona, good girl for doing some research before you jump into the sheep world. You have already stated you want to raise meat animals, so this will determine what breeds you may want to choose from.
Here are some questions I have for you to ponder in your quest to choose a breed.

Will you be handling the sheep by yourself? Size and temperament will need to be considered if this is the case.

What meat market will you be targeting? The local locker lamb, direct market, possibly ethnic market or a commercial buyer of lambs--auctions?

Do you have shearers available in your area? Wool versus hair sheep (don't require shearing)

Do you plan to have facilities to lamb or plan to pasture lamb? Some breeds are easier to pasture lamb than others.

Weather conditions? Most sheep are adaptable to all conditions but again, something to consider when choosing a breed. Some are hardier than others.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  09:32:24 AM  Show Profile
I ditto Jami's comments, but will also add - are you considering selling project lambs to 4-H and FFA kids for county fairs? That will also determine the breeds to consider and the breeders to buy from. Are you thinking at all about cheese making - dairy sheep is a whole other world. Do you have a processor close by (preferablly a small one because they are usually more aminable to special requests), what do they charge for slaughter/cut/wrap? This will be a consideration in what you charge. When I sold freezer lambs I sold them by the pound, but the buyer had to buy a whole or half carcass, I didn't sell individual cuts.

What is the area like where the sheep will live. If there's a lot of brush or low growing vegitation you may want to steer clear of breeds that have wool on their faces that way you wont have to deal with eye problems.

There are some really cool dual purpose breeds like California Reds and Tunis that have good quality carcasses and nice wool production for home or small spinners.

"Raising Sheep the Modern Way" is a good all around reference book. It covers all aspects of raising sheep. Many of the small farming or self sufficient living books I've seen also have good sections on sheep with all the basics. There is also SHEEP! the magazine that is geared more towards small producers.

Being in OR you have some special considerations because of the dampness and the prevelance of footrot. Be sure to research the preventative measures really well 'cause it's a nasty condition to deal with.

I would also recommend contacting and touring local breeders or local colleges that have livestock depts. This way you can pick their brain, meet people who may be willing to advise you and just get a feel for raising sheep.

Good luck with your research and have fun when you get your new flock. Even though sheep are - well - stupid I had a great time raising them.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  10:24:25 AM  Show Profile
I love Raising Sheep the modern way, also. It was my first sheep book and still the one I tend to refer to most.
Have fun!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  11:59:41 AM  Show Profile
Jenn brings up some more things to ponder on breed selection.

Breeding sheep prices are pretty down right now with feed prices. You should be able to pickup some ewes for a real decent price. Sales have been slow (not for meat lambs but for breeding ewes).

What side of OR are you on Winona? East or West or in between? If you're in the east, you'll have no problems with foot rot but that's another story on the west side.

Websites - Maryland small ruminant pages, do a Google and you'll get there. Univ of OK has a good breed site to research breeds. Consider taking Pipestone's sheep management course. It's online.

Books - Laura Lawson's Managing your Ewe and her Newborn Lambs, the ASI SID Handbook (available through Premier Sheep Supplies and ASI both), A Practical Guide to Sheep Disease Management by Gates...oh the list goes on and on.

Other Resources - Local or state sheep producers group (Oregon Sheep Producers or Wool Growers). These organizations are not just for the large sheep producer but for any sheep producer as keeping the OR state flock healthy (by keeping producers informed of health issues and standards) benefits all.

I have a few friends in OR who raise sheep, all breeds, all purposes.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A sheep question... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page