Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Piles of feathers...chickens gone
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Piles of feathers...chickens gone Next Topic  

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  07:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, an era has ended. My original flock of 14 chickens are now extinct. We had 2 barred rock hens left (8-9 years old) from my little original flock of layers. One by one they have died of old age with the rooster going about 2 years ago. They were free roaming chickens and these 2 became quite tame and would hang out with us and the dogs too, just like "family".

Went outside Thursday morning to 2 big piles of feathers side by side on the front lawn. We had heard a ruckus the night before but it was just hooves pounding and figured the horses had a deer in their pasture or something. The guard dog barked a few times but a trek outside in pj's and a flashlight didn't find anything awry.

Talked to some friends who work for Wildlife Services at the sheep convention over the weekend and told them this story of the quiet kill and no remains besides the side-by-side pile of feathers in the front-yard, not in the henhouse. They said it sounded like a bobcat. We have never had one of those around before.

Well, the kicker is that these hens were a thorn in my side lately as they have destroyed almost every flowerbed I have tried to put in the yard. I couldn't leave the garage door open or they would go in and poop all over the place and they would get in the dog's fenced yard and eat the dog food, etc. As their numbers lessened, they became pests/pets. Well, I have said many times..."when are these chickens going to die?" It seems like they were living forever. I know that sounds mean, but whatever. Then...I felt bad that my last 2 girls were killed. I really hoped they would die of old age just like the others did. We are going to get more chickens once we have a better setup so we can pasture them but not have them in our yard. Anyhow, I'm all outta chickens now. Will wait for spring.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com

Daisydu
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Becky
Rock Hill South Carolina
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  08:27:00 AM  Show Profile
I had the same feelings about a rabbit that lived 5 years past his 5 year lifespan. He looked horrible and sickly. He finally passed this summer. Poor thing, he was probably miserable, but I didn't have the heart to put him down. Since he still got around well. If he had seemed to be suffering it would have been different.

Loving a simple life in the country!
www.twistedfencepost.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  08:28:15 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a bobcat to me! thye would upset the horses too.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  08:36:50 AM  Show Profile
I had a chicken bomb on Saturday morning as well. Unfortunately we have mink here.

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  11:26:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh this must be the year for chicken DISASTERS!!! I lost 12 hens in a span of 3 days early this spring. 2 others were injured but recovered (raccoons), and I can't tell you HOW MANY chicks were murdered by a stinking dirty RAT!!! It must have been close to 80 chicks (my hens tend to hatch very LARGE broods! and I bought quit a few for replacements) Talk about frustration, disappointment and DISGUST! (the attacks on my poor little birds became quite brutal over time--- shudder!!---) Needless to say, I got a herd of cats this summer and they seem to know where those nasty rats have been hanging out. Blessed little fur balls really ARE earning their keep-- I haven't lost a chick or young bird to any RATS since!!

So sorry you all have lost your birds too. I know how terrible that can be. We don't have any bobcats here, or mink (at least not that I'm aware of anyway). We have RATS, Raccoon, Opossum, Skunk, coyote and neighbors dogs!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  05:41:15 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like how we lost some of ours too. No bobcat, but feral dogs. Both of whom were trapped and shot. Very skiny and no collars.

I felt badly when one of our mean roosters was killed, but not really. He flogged everyone including the dog!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Piles of feathers...chickens gone Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page