Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  09:13:24 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone done this? An elderly lady in our town told my sister to do this so she did - she picked all her green tomatoes at the end of the season and layered them in newspaper - they are ripening like heck! She is still making sauces even tho they've had 8" of snow...this lady said she never lets her tomatoes ripen on the vine, always picks them green (I really don't know why...).

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  3:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Suzanne, thanks for posting this. I read somewhere (here maybe?) that you should pull your tomatoes, vine and all, before the last frost and hang them upside down to ripen. I couldn't actually pull ours out at the root so I cut them as close as I could. A few started to ripen but are now shriveling. After reading this, DH is now in the garage picking the rest of the green ones. I'll let you know how it goes!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  05:50:56 AM  Show Profile
Good luck, let me know how it turns out. she layers them in a basket with newspaper and said they ripen beautifully!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  7:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Boy, I sure wish I had read about this last week. I picked all of my ripe tomatoes, then put the plants in my compost heap the night before we got our first frost. I would have loved to have all of those green tomatoes ripen. I'll be curious to know if this actually works though for next years crop.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  8:21:16 PM  Show Profile
I hung mine over ladder rungs. I pulled them from the ground root & all & they ripened nicely.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  07:03:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Karen- I think the reason you need to pull them by the root is so that that the plant pulls the moisture from the the root and prevents the tomatoes from shriveling.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  08:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Yea, I figured they wouldn't ripen as well but better to give it a try that toss them all. There was just no way to get the roots without doing a major excavation job. Next year we'll do a better job keeping up with the weeding.

I tend to be possessive about my herb and flower garden and don't want anyone working in it but me. So I figured I wouldn't invade hubby's territory and let him do his own weeding, although I did do it once. Later I found out that he would have really appreciated me taking it over for him as he felt swamped just keeping up with things this year. Can you say "communication?" It's amazing how many lessons there still are to learn after almost 14 years of marriage!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  08:18:07 AM  Show Profile
I just went out to my garden. We had a freeze while I was away. I just got a bucket of good green tomatoes! I am going to try the newspaper layers. My hubby will be happy.

I gave the nasty ones to the pigs. I still have brus. sproute and cabbage and collards in this garden. I want to let the pigs in it after I harvest all this. I wish it would hurry up!

I also just picked a basket of collard greens. I love those now. They're my new favorite. No more itchy turnip greens for this old girl!

Kris
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ripen tomatoes in newspaper Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page