Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Newbie, but an oldie, but a guy, is that OK?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Newbie, but an oldie, but a guy, is that OK? Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2004 :  2:55:52 PM  Show Profile
New to MJF, what a delight to receive the magazine and order. I am 56 and was married for 25 yrs, divorced now and on my own. Have learned how to pick up after myself (smile), and learned how to cook for one person (not easy). Am Happily engaged to a "not quite" farm girl, but she just bought a wooden drying rack from Amish Woodworks, and is letting me raise chickens, so I believe she will qualify as a farm girl in time (she is 55 and has always lived in town, crowded houses and a postage-stamp back yard. We dance a couple times a week, even though we live 40 miles apart. I garden organically on one acre of land. Grew garlic successfully the first time this year. Gotta love those "patty pan" summer squash. Just introducing myself, have a Wonderful day...Dave T

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2004 :  3:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Dave,
What kind of chickens do you raise?My hubby and I have Old english game bantams, standards,dark cornish bantams (for show)and cornish-rock crosses (for meat).Look in the barnyard buddy threads for some more info on chickens.
Alicia

Follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2004 :  4:08:16 PM  Show Profile
A dancer, a farmer, a guy who is brave enough to post on MJF. Gotta love it! Welcome, and what kind of dancing do you two enjoy? We have a couple of other New Yorkers here on the site.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2004 :  4:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Swing dancing, always loved "jitterbug" and thought "I knew it all"....not. Met my fiance at an "East Coast" Swing lesson about two and a half years ago. Now, after taking 3 semesters of "JumpSwing" lessons at Cornell University, and dancing a couple nights a week, I think I am beginning to catch on. Every where we go, someone always compliments us, and says we look good together (might be the smiles we exchange when dancing, not the dancing technique). We always have fun and have recently learned Zyceco also. Chickens.....this is my third time ordering chicks from Murray McMurray. The first time was a disaster, let it go at that. Second time was last year, when I ordered the "fly tyer's special, another mistake. Those cock birds are downright mean! It was supposed to be all cocks, but there was one hen, probably a Buff Orpington that layed a nice large brown egg, all last Winter, she maybe skipped six days. I love eggs, fried, deviled and especially pickled. So now I am "hooked". Have a new order of brown egg layer hens only (I hope), and they seem to be doing ok. I thin slice summer squash and put them on my knees, and the birds are jumping up and eating them and do not seem very nervous, so I must be doing something right. Mix from Murray Murray, ya gotta guess, probably 1 Jersey Giant (dark legs), 3 Whites, yellow legs, two Cornish, perhaps a Sussex or Partridge Rock, can not tell yet, 4 RIR, perhaps a NHR, and a couple of the black Jersey Giant (love the green sheen), and a bunch of Barred Rocks. I am not very knowlegeable, but like "taking care" of things, and it was fun collecting an egg almost every day last Winter.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2004 :  4:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the family Dave!!! I love chickens too! I bet you will find lots of fun info here..and we can learn from you too!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2004 :  8:02:19 PM  Show Profile
chickendave, at first I thought you used that name because you were chicken to post here among so many women! But now I see you really know your chickens. :)

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2004 :  05:43:13 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Chickendave! Now if you could teach those chickens to swing dance you could take the act on the road:)
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2004 :  11:50:52 AM  Show Profile
Another New Yorker! Great, and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your engagement also (newly or otherwise). I myself didn't marry until age 45, so take your time, you'll need a lot of patience! Good luck on your chicken advertures.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2004 :  5:25:25 PM  Show Profile
Shortening.....no, haven't yet learned how to bake, but the days are shortening quickly in NYS. Spent the evening potting up my favorite geraniums, house faces South, and have four windows that I fill with plants, they will bloom all Winter and it is cheery to have flowers in January. Two fragrant geraniums, peppermint and rose. Two rosebud geraniums from cuttings, appleblossom rosebud and red rosebud, a nice rose-pink with chocolate colored leaves with light green edging from seed a couple of years ago, a deep coral one, and one varigate, Skies of Italy. Along with a rosemary standard, they will provide scent and blooms. The chicks are doing well, let them out yesterday for the first time to pick new grass that I had planted in a fenced in area around the henhouse. Doubt if any will start laying before Thanksgiving, but I am pampering them, so who knows?
Go to Top of Page

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  3:47:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dave!
You seem to have so much in common with many of us! For example, I'm a swing dancer too! I love Lindy Hop and Balboa and Charleston! Someday I'll have chickens -- gotta work on that, a little at a time I guess.

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  4:14:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dave,
I think it's great to have a man's opinion on this stuff too. My parents used to swing dance, that's how they met back in 1946! It was right after the war, my dad was still in the army (Dutch).
My husband doesn't dance. So I just do Polynesian and Belly Dance to satisfy the dancing bug.
Chickens are great fun too I'm not sure why they are so amusing but they are, I have 3.
Nice to meet you! Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  6:42:05 PM  Show Profile
Dancing, that is what I liked most about taking the lessons at Cornell, JumpSwing includes, East Coast Swing, West Coast Swing, Lindy, Charleston and Balboa. (not that I am good at any of them, but it was a Cornell PhysEd course that was open to the public, and only cost $48 for twelve, 1 1/2 hour lessons. I love Ithaca, NY and if I came into a big inheritance (very doubtful, and I do not play the lottery), that is where I would live. Lots of surrounding small farm communities, good people, (interconnectng people), could you ask for more? Did I mention that with Ithaca College and Cornell University there, that one (we and my fiance) could dance four times a week? Best aerobic workout is dancing....but then I do sit in front of a computer all day, so that may explain why we I like to "kick up my heels" when I can. Truth is, I can not begin to keep up with my fiance, she is a much better dancer than I, but I try my best. Is that the "secret" to a good relationship, be meek and humble, and try your best? So far, so good....Dave T
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  12:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Well, I don't know if there are any "secrets" to a good relationship, except be honest, humble is good, try is best is also good. I find it's best to live in the present but it's also the most difficult thing to do. I know Cornell/Ithaca well, used to date (long distance!) a guy from Elmira...beautiful country there. If I win the lottery (hey, you never know), I'd try to talk my husband into moving from this part of the state.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  3:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Dave,
My BF always says "Keep your mouth shut and stare straight ahead!" lol

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  5:52:22 PM  Show Profile
Kim, you need to find a new BF (or maybe not) :). Being the first born of 8 children, I picked up on my Father's traits early on. Being the boss was, well...Boss. Now I have no interest in being the boss, but it took a long time to get here. Age brings wisdom, but only if you are open to it.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  05:01:41 AM  Show Profile
He's a good egg, he pretends to be Mr. Hard Guy, but he's such a softie, thank heavens!! I guess his father always said that! Norm is the youngest of 8.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  12:55:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Dave,
Let me know if you don't want "farmgirl" in your little title. I can change it for you if you want. It's cool if you want to be a farmgirl though

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  2:45:59 PM  Show Profile
Dave,
I just realized, the way I keyed in Norm's phrase (above posting) it made it sound like he says that to me. He says that to himself to keep himself in check. I guess I made him sound like a...well snot! lol! My mistake!!!

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  9:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, "farmgirl" is fine with me. I am just a soul searching for it's roots. I work in a Call Center of 212 employees, twelve of which are men, and I have been there for 28 yrs, so I just consider myself "one of the girls" anyways.......
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  9:33:37 PM  Show Profile
Kim, I am sorry that I mis-interpreted, but I am glad for the clarification...
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2004 :  06:12:32 AM  Show Profile
No need to apologise Dave! Your comments made me feel like somoeone out there is looking after me and I really appreciate it! I feel like I have a little farm family with my new friends. I should have phrased it as "I keep my mouth shut and stare straight ahead". My error. And I totally blew the joke!!! Oh, well, I was never good at being funny and repeating jokes anyway!!

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda Perich
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Rhonda
Grand Junction CO
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2004 :  09:29:51 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Dave...it is refreshing to have men interested in farm life also and all that goes with it :) Join right in and keep us posted on your activites.
Hugs, Rhonda P in CO
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2004 :  9:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Chicks.....an update...the lady that had 25 layers stolen did take the other 17 hens, and she was delighted. What is left that I kept were 2 Lt Brahmas. a Giant White, a Speckled (Sussex?), two Barred Rocks, two (what appear to be New Hampshire Reds) and two blacks with blonde/red blazes on their breasts, may be Cornish or may be Black Stars. I love the way they "talk" to me, and jump up and sit in my lap. For 20 minutes a day, I get to be a kid again (smile).
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  4:08:43 PM  Show Profile
That is so neat. I wondered if chickens would react like other "pets", showing affection etc. I would have loved to she the woman's face when you presented her with the hens. A sight to behold!

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2004 :  6:08:49 PM  Show Profile
Chicken update: These chicks were hatched on 7/28/04, and I had my first egg in exactly 4 months and 2 days, it was a barred rock and she is the only one laying so far. Must be doing something right......
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2004 :  06:56:09 AM  Show Profile
Yeah Dave ! Nice to hear from you ! Beware , you are going to have an
overabundance quite soon! Start asking people to save you their egg boxes! Our friends started in the spring like you and nothing, nothing , nothing until two weeks ago when they had 48 eggs in one day! Glad to hear you and the flock are well! Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Newbie, but an oldie, but a guy, is that OK? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page