Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Apron...just need help!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron...just need help!!! Next Topic  

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  8:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Okay ya'll...I've come from a family who's mom and grandmas could sew like there's no tomorrow! I'm not sure where I fit into this other than I have an imagination but no sewing experience except by hand! I have an apron that I bought on clearance awhile back (jean apron)... hauled it out the other day and started cutting up towels, napkins, doilies...adding charms etc. When my daughter came home from school I learned she had a "niche" and added what she liked, then believe it or not my step son added in also! What I'm wondering is...can I sew all this on by hand or will it hold up better using the sewing machine? Can or should I use fabric glue? What will that stuff do in the wash??? Please give me your feed back on this one as I'm not good with a sewing machine and would rather do it by hand, I just want "this" finished apron to hold up through washings! I'd really like to make my own but can't for the life of me figure out a pattern, I'm better having something laid out in front of me and going from there whether it be "adding on" or making it from scratch. I'm feeling a bit "ab-normal" from what my mom and gram could do right now!

Thanks a bunch for responding or just reading my dilema!!! I feel like I'm stepping out of my comfort zone right now with sewing! I love to sit and sew (by hand) but don't feel like I know what I'm doing!)

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  9:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, If you sew it well by hand it should hold up to be washed! I personally don't like to use fabric glue on much, but if you have charms that can't be sewn on just make sure the glue will hold up in the wash! I would maybe wash it on a gentle cycle for the first wash and see if anything is loose! I would also make sure that all of your knots starting and ending are tied off securely! I hope this helps! I am sure some of the other ladies will have good advice!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  03:29:19 AM  Show Profile
I believe you could do it either way so whatever you like best. Don't be afraid to tackle those patterns or better yet, is there someone nearby you who sews and would be willing to help you out with the patterns? I find I learn things easiest as a visual learner however I can figure it out eventually by reading. (If I read it enough times)

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  09:48:09 AM  Show Profile
I would agree that fabric glue would not be the best. Even though it may say it will hold up in the wash, I haven't found any that really does. Sewing things on securely by hand is probably the best idea. I typically sew embellishments on by hand even though I can sew like crazy on my machine!

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  01:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I'd sew by hand any imbellishments you want. Hand sewing is very sturdy when I do it. The apron sounds wonderful!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71

Edited by - yarnmamma on Nov 02 2008 3:09:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  1:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i agree, sew them on by hand making sure all your knots are secure! i hope you post a picture when its done! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  09:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Thank you all for your help! I've been busy at it and wish all of you lived closer so someone could teach me how to sew and follow patterns! I'm much better hands on learning!!! I'll see what I can do for pictures once it's done! I haven't tackled downloading pics yet!!!

melissa
farmgirl sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron...just need help!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page