Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  3:27:51 PM  Show Profile
Anybody cooked a turkey in a electric roaster before? Does it come out satisfactorily? I wonder if it browns? Just trying to make some extra room in the oven on T-day.

Tania

Once upon a Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Ivy
Bartlett TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  4:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Tania, I have cooked a turkey is an electric roaster several times. Turkey comes out great. Mine has a fan attachment on top for air roasting and that helps brown the turkey. Remember not to open it up to check it to often either, because it doesn't recover from the heat loss as quickly. Also, it is good for a Christmas ham. Hopes this helps. Ivy
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2005 :  2:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
Tania: I have a Nesco roaster that I use for my turkey every year. Like Ivy's, mine has the fan and it does a great job of browning the outside and making the turkey very juicy on the inside. Lisa

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
http://lisa222.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  08:47:43 AM  Show Profile
i've not tried turkey in a roaster .. but did one in a 'crock pot' last year and it was soooooooooo tender! frannie
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  11:02:33 AM  Show Profile
We always do the turkey in the roaster.

For moisture and flavor, I cut three small yellow onions in half and make celery sticks out of two stalks of celery, then stuff all this inside the turkey. I pour one large can, or one box, of chicken broth in the bottom of the roaster. 350 degrees for 2.5 to 3 hours (14lb to 18lb turkey).

A roaster won't brown your turkey so I make a "browning sauce" with butter, paprika, and "kitchen Bouquet." This gets brushed on the turkey instead of rubbing it with butter.

That's it. You are not supposed to use plastic oven cooking bags in the roaster but I have not found it necessary.

P. S. Do not eat the celery and onions. Throw them out. They have done their job.

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2005 :  6:01:38 PM  Show Profile
Well, I got courage and went ahead with my plan. It turned out fabulously. I did cook it in the bag, but I think you are right Lucinda, I could do it without. I wonder if I put the shiny side down of heavy-duty foil over the turkey before putting the lid on if it would help the breast brown better. The legs and bottom were very nice.

The best part of all was being able to use my oven for other stuff. And Oh my, the gravy was the most beautiful brown color!

Tania
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Turkey in an Electric Roaster? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page