Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  10:13:31 PM  Show Profile
While I was busy canning pepper jelly and plum jam and making supper and rounding up kids and organizing and all that goes with my household this evening I baked two picture perfect dutch apple pies. I was so happy with how they turned out that I thought I would take one to the new neighbor on our block and meet her (an elderly gal who just moved in with only her dog) so I took the prettiest one and set off to take one over. No answer at her door, so I came home and finished supper and went back over..two cars in the driveway but still no answer..they must have gone out to supper or something..who knows...
I was SO SO SO relieved that she hadn't been home when I realized that I had forgot to put any sugar of any kind in either pie!! She would have thought I was some kind of nut bringing her a pie like that as a welcome gift...holy cow!! We still ate our pie by drizzling some real maple syrup (that I had been hoarding) over it and then having a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it too, just to be sure..it was fine. But..I guess the chickens will get a special treat for breakfast tomorrow when they get the other pie..darn it all. I will bake her something normal tomorrow and go over to visit her. I have to tell you though, I feel like I was being looked out for that I didn't accomplish giving her that pie!!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Sep 05 2005 10:34:32 PM

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  04:07:43 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Aunt Jenny, I do believe you have a Guardian Angel; a special one to save you from social gaffes! My daughter did something similar, years ago. She was baking chocolate chip cookies, and complained that they looked wrong. After going through her process step by step, I found out that she didn't use flour; she used milk powder!

At least they had a lot of protein....

Now the question is, are you going to bake something else to take over? I think it's a very sweet idea. You could take her some of that plum jam. A lot of older people have very fond rememberences of such things when they were younger, but they don't get it anymore because stores don't carry it. Maybe you'd get to hear some nice stories, too. And it might be more manageable than a whole pie for a lady alone. A little tea and toast with some jam, mmmmm!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  05:17:13 AM  Show Profile
That was so sweet of you Jenny! I have done the same thing with apple pie, only I left out the salt and it tasted kind of flat. Bet your new neighbor would love some of your jelly! You probably have the luckiest chickens on the planet, apple pie to eat!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  05:40:05 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, I sympathize. After you've gone to the trouble to bake something, it's so depressing not having it come out right.

I had an oven that heated really hot once, and even though I set the oven to the exact temperature that it called for in my recipes, I burned two cakes before I figured it out.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  06:09:13 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking of maybe baking bread today and taking her a loaf and some jam...like you said..more manageable for one person. I had thought she may be able to finish the pie because there was an extra car over there most of yesterday..no doubt a relative getting her settled into the house. I heard she is buying it. I hope so!! It will be so nice to have someone "experienced" next door!! The last gal that lived there was about 50 but never ever home and had a scary teenage grandson living with her. They were only renting there for about 5 months though. Before that was a single gal in her 50's with a bunch of grandkids she was raising. I did hear from another neighbor that this new gal likes hearing my animals. THAT is a good sign! So I need to get over there today!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  07:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Jenny -- you're a doll! What a sweet thing to do for you neighbor. Glad you found out about the pie before the neighbor received it!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  07:43:56 AM  Show Profile
My sister did a similar thing Mary Ann-she came to my house once and made her famous cookies-Twice she used my powdered sugar instead of flour~~She said"I dont know whats wrong"...Till I looked to see what she was using~~
Also- I mentioned in the "rhubarb forum" that I made rhubarb strawberry jam and used frozen rhubarb...the problem was-that I drained it~~WRONG...I needed the liquid and ended up with a sugar brick for jam~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  08:11:35 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, how sweet! Your new neighbor is going to adore you! Freshly baked bread is my all time favorite thing . . . even better than chocolate . . . even better than apple pie WITH sugar!! :-)
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:25:48 PM  Show Profile
I made a peach pie like that one time. I served it with ice cream and drizzled caramel sauce and sprinkled pecans on top.

My grandmother once made a refrigerator cookie (from the old red BHG cookbook)she doubled everything but the sugar.

Everybody liked the "new" cookie better. Just a hint of sweetness. Good for for those times you want something a little sweet but not loaded with sugar. We asked her to keep making them like that.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  4:08:44 PM  Show Profile
Good on you Jenny. So many people don't take time to know their neighbors. When I was first married I made homemade ice cream fora church potluck. Instead of 3 teaspoons of salt I put in 3 tablespoons. Oo icky! I'm sure we all have a story to tell. Bread and jam sounds great to me!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  09:33:54 AM  Show Profile
first apple pie i ever baked .. i had to serve out a a 'pitcher' (don't rmember why . .but it came out reeeeeeeeel runny! (juicy) .. .. honey hunk gulped it down and said it was delicious. .if somewhat chunky .. apple juice! have never attempted another apple pie in my life .. but SOMEDAY!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  10:06:09 AM  Show Profile
I use minute tapioca in my pie filling..really helps with the runny stuff...I never usually have that problem. You MUST try pie again! I love to make pies! so "homey" or something!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  10:52:50 AM  Show Profile
Don't feel bad Jenny. I'm always doing five things at once and that sometimes leads to "sometimers syndrome." The first time I had my parents over to my place, as an adult, I forgot to put the pats of butter on top of the apple pie filling before putting the crust on! As a result, the juice from the apples and the sugar made a sort of hard candy and the apples kind of shrivelled up! Horrible, although my saintly father claimed to LOVE it!

As many kids as you have, you are probably doing 20 things at once.

Your new neighbor lady will be so thrilled when you visit and soon will know, as we farmfirls already do, that you have a heart the size of the Great Salt Lake.

Love, Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  4:28:39 PM  Show Profile
One of our cherished family stories concerns my aunt Rose, who died a couple of years ago at 92. She was the best cook and baker in the family, but not always. In the 40s, she wanted to make a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, but chocolate was rationed and she didn't have enough so she used Ex-lax instead. I'm told that was a very moving experience for all. This is the same aunt who made rum cake and soaked the cake in rum for a loooooong time. Everyone said you had to have a chaser with it. So Jenny, honey, even the best of 'em do it!

love and light,
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2005 :  5:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Jenny:

How funny. Sounds just like me. Must be that Oct 1st blood in our veins. In our family, we call these situations "kitchen secrets". I'm glad, you didn't get found out though . Hope your holiday cooking goes better.

Tania
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Apple pie mishap!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page