Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Burrrr! Time to knit mittens.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Burrrr! Time to knit mittens. Next Topic
Page: of 2

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  7:43:43 PM  Show Profile
As I was going through some of my older issues of Spin Off,(looking for my next knitting project), I came across this warm looking pair of fleece lined mittens...in the Spin Off Winter 2001 issue. (pictures in my blog) I had looked at this magazine at least fifty times but this time these mittens took my eye. I think I always thought they were too hard or looked too difficult for me to tackle...but..they are sooooo simple! Have you ever done that?
I spun up some of Miss Patch's brown wool and used some very soft lamb's fleece for the inside and they feel so warm and soft.
I knitted one of the mittens in 2 evenings while watching TV...that includes stitching them up. The mittens are knitted on 2 needles size 3 needles...no 4 or 5 needles working in the round on this project. Simple cast on 53, Row 1. p1k1 across Row 2. K1 P1 across and on row three start inserting wool fleece on every 4th knit st. and continue to add locks of fleece on every fourth st on every forth row for the entire mitten. The thumb is also a piece of cake.
Now that is why I never throw away a Spin off magazine or a MJ Magazine! I have taken pictures and put them on my blog.
God Bless
Sarita in NE Mo

Connie...take a look...I think they would be Alaska warm! Spinners and knitters...time to make mittens.
Everyone that trys this mitten on wants a pair!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  8:20:44 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, The mittens look so cozy and warm! I found someone by me who wants to learn to spin!! Yipee!!

Moncia
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  06:18:32 AM  Show Profile
Monica, isn't it nice to have someone to share your love of doing something? These mittens are very easy and warm..
How is the cotton spinning going?
Sarita

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  06:43:32 AM  Show Profile
they are beautiful!! i'm still learning/practicing to knit. i have made a few (narrow/small) scarves......i haven't tried anything else because the problem i have is i keep adding?? or losing?? stitches. i have to stop and carefully count each row i knit, even if it only has 10 stitches on it! i don't know......anyway, that's why i'm scared to try anything where you have to increase or decrease stitches... do you think i'll EVER improve??! or do you think that some people just are not capable? anyway, i've seen such beautiful wool on this "web site" you all are so talented!
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  07:19:16 AM  Show Profile
Sue, just knit the scarves lengthwise instead of crosswise and you'll have fewer rows to lose stitches from. lol
No, seriously. Knit them lengthwise~about 100 stitches on a 13 needle.

Sarita, those mitts are revolutionary! Built in wool batting insulation!

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  07:24:48 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful mittens Sarita! I save all of my knitting magazines so I can go back and either use a certain pattern or look through them for inspiration.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  07:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sue, keep knitting. It takes practice. Knitting scarves is a great way to learn or small dishclothes. When did you start? Keep practicing. Do you forget to drop off a stitch each time you take a new stitch or are you picking up an extra edge stitch? Sometimes new knitters work so hard at it and they split the yarn and that makes it look like 2 stitches instead of just the one. Get some Sugar and Creme Cotton yarn and a set of size 9 or 10 needles and cast on about 40 stitches and just knit back and forth until you make a dish cloth. This way you can see where you are picking up the xtra stitches and practice will make perfect...besides you can use a dishcloth even if it is lopped-sided. Keep trying...you can do it!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  2:14:26 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful mittens! Hey..I have that copy of Spin off and may have to make some like that too this winter. I agree..never get rid of a Spin off (or MaryJanes Farm issue) such treaures there!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  5:41:10 PM  Show Profile
I can only see my first post and unable to see any added post in the last few hrs...can someone tell me what is going on or what button that I have hit that I shouldn't have???

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  5:45:20 PM  Show Profile
After I posted that last post the whole thing came up...go figure!
Jenny, I keep both of those magazines and when I get dull or need an idea...I start going through them. I also keep an list of the issues that I have in case that I get an opportunity to buy some of the back issues. I have told my kids to list my Spin Offs on ebay if something happens to me...that is their inheritance. {:)}

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  7:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
sarita, those mittens look awesome! would they be washable? would roving work? i dont have fleece available. i have printed out the pics and how to. could i use just any knitted mitten pattern? thanks so much for sharing! i am always on the lookout for warm gloves and mittens! we have already had temps of about 20 bbelow in some areas!
sue, i am knitting a sweater for my hubby in a dale of norway pattern and have almost worn out the yarn taking it out so much lol. i finally put in stitch markers every 10 stiches (even for areas without pattern!) and got 2 of those magnetic sheets that you put under the pattern page to help keep my place. i still count the stitches every so often and only occasionally have to take out 50 or so stiches instead of 10 rows or more! you will get it if ya keep trying ( or that is what i am hoping for myself *grin* by the way the only other thing i have ever knitted was a baby sweater about 35 yrs ago and a few dish cloths and 1 scarf! i just love a challenge! guess that is why i love living in the last frontier! lol.
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  9:08:00 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I have that Spin Off too and just love reviewing those back issues - I was very lucky when a great fiber shop went out of business about 9 years ago - I purchased all their back issues that they kept in the shop for folks to sit and read - I have the second issue even - I was a lucky ducky that day...

Those mittens are fantastic and you did a fantastic job. Love your shetland photos - just want to give them a kiss.

Connie somewhere there is a pattern for using rovings and then as the fiber rubs they felt together.. I have a pair that was made out of Icelandic roving from a women in Iceland who ia a part of a wonderful co-op that I purchased from when I visited there. It is the pair I grab when the temp goes below zero - great Alaska gloves. I have to let you know I shared some of great tea of yours from a friend and she is so thankful and send you hugs for the tea..

Keep those back issues you never know when they will come in handy

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  07:34:37 AM  Show Profile
sarita---i think the problem is that i'm just clumsy! i think it's a combination of all that you said...sometimes i think the wool gets split. and then when i turn it over to knit the next row, maybe i sometimes grab (and thus add) another loop/hole of knitting??? the other thing i do is, it seems that it gets tight to the point i can hardly get if off the needle and so then i make sure to knit loose and so then you get a long thing of tight/loose and crooked---and tight again. anyway, i don't mind practicing, but it gets depressing when i won't wear anything that i make---even though it's just a scarf. and with all the beautiful yarn that i see....? anyway, thanks for the encouragement!!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  07:50:35 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, how nice of you to share pictures, and pattern. I am interested in trying those! And seeing how I happen to spin heavier yarn :), thought it might be fun. So I am wondering, you just grab a lock of fleece, and knit it along with your yarn?? Following the pattern of course.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  08:06:22 AM  Show Profile
Connie, sounds like you are getting the job done when it comes to that sweater. Hang in there...it sounds like you will have it mastered soon. I think the magazine article even says you could use roving...I wouldn't hesitate if it was me. I would not use large chunks but small slivers in the knit stitch.
Grace, you have the second issue!!!!Lucky you. I even plan to matt some of my favorite magazines that have the neat covers and hang them in my weaving room.
Grace, what type of carder do you use. I have a Patrick Green but I want a larger motorized one to handle larger loads.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  09:17:57 AM  Show Profile
Sarita
I have the larger Patrick Green Motorized and it has been wonderful. I love it - very pricey but worth saving up your pennies, dollars and more.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  10:01:26 AM  Show Profile
Sue, sounds like all the rest of us when we started knitting. Go with the simple dish cloth for a few times until you can learn to loosen your tension. I have a drawer full of cotton dish cloths that are not square from my daughters and myself...they last forever and are really great in the kitchen. Also stop ever so often and consiously loosen your tension and you will soon be doing the even tension without the tight stitches.
When you get tired and things go to going wrong..put it down and come back later when you are fresh. Work on small items so you can see results sooner.
Sue someday, probably before this winter is over, you will be letting us know that you have finished a project that you will be very satisfied with.
God bless and keep trying
We all know you can do it

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  10:02:31 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jenny, if you make a pair, let us see them.

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  10:07:00 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I have been toying with selling my Patrick green drum carder and a couple of my looms and the old spinning wheel, plus some wool and sheep...maybe I will get a carder that I can crank out the wool faster and better. OK, mentally I have my plan. Physically...I will get around to it...one step at a time. I wish I knew of someone that is getting out of the business and would like to sell me a used one in good condition. I truly want to retire to start a full time fiber business...I can use your prayers.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  12:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Sarita
I will keep my ear to the ground for you on the carder - I know it is hard to get it all together - take your time and it will show up.. I always keep you ladies in my prayers.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  11:19:00 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, have you ever got your Spin off and went through it cover to cover not once but 4 or 5 times, put it away and months or years later go back to review the old mags and there is the perfect pattern? I do it all of the time.
Does it get real cold where you live?

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  7:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i have no clue when i will start them but i bought some alpaca roving for my mittens! i think i have some very nice black wool yarn to at least start them with. i will let you know when (or is that if? lol) i get them started! right now i am working very hard on that sweater. after reading this thread i wonder about using that technique to make the area across the shoulders of the sweater warmer? what would you more experienced ladies think about that idea?
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  4:48:44 PM  Show Profile
I like your pattern for the mittens, too. Wish I had seen it before I completed a pair of winter
mittens for this year! I may just make another pair, you know, in case I lose them accidentally.
I found a similar pattern on the internet, called "thrummed" ? Looks very similar to your pattern.
If you are interested in looking at it, but I warn you first, the pattern calls for double pointed needles,
its at: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/mittensthrummed.htm
I was thinking of lining my mittens outside with leather, or lining them with fleece but this pattern
sounds perfectly what I would like to try, too. I also don't have fleece pieces, so I'm going
to try to put to use a ball of brown roving I'd purchased long time ago but never found anything
to do with it - I am not a spinner. Thanks for posting this, its so interesting.

Also, when you post and you are waiting to see replys, at the top right, when you are
looking at all the topic postings, there's a place there that has options for "reloading"
which you can click on so you can see if anyone has replied to your topic. You can
change it for reloading every minute (which can be quite annoying) or whatever the
other options are, I can't remember them all, but you can change them back and forth
whenever you want.

Edited by - OregonGal on Nov 02 2008 4:59:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  01:50:16 AM  Show Profile
So I am wondering, you just grab a lock of fleece, and knit it along with your yarn?? Following the pattern of course.

Michele
[/quote]
Michele, the pattern says to use a piece about the size of a toothpick. I usually split a lock of fleece that is about 3-31/2 inches long. I fold it in half around my needle so that makes it double.

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  06:55:04 AM  Show Profile
I finished my mittens last evening!! I have started another pair but this time I wound my yarn into 2 balls and I cast on both mittens on longer knitting needles so that I can finish the pair at the same time. I have 10 rows on and this is working great!
I have a problem of making socks and getting one done and then starting the second but not finishing them in a timely matter.
I hope to have some time this week end to blog and I will put pictures on my blog of the completed mittens.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  04:06:21 AM  Show Profile
I have some yarn out, and fleece out and am ready to go. I tried starting last night and just too tired I guess. I did find a mitten pattern for my bulky yarn, so going to give that a try. I too wanted to try doing 2 on one circular needle. That is the way I do socks.

Chris my mom had two thrumed mitten patterns as well.

Sarita, how many stitches do you cast on? My pattern calls for 24, on size 10 needles. The pattern says to use a yarn that is 8 wraps per inch. It is just the 24 stitches does not seem big enough, so may add on a few more.

It is early here, so going to go do some spinning as I wait for daylight. MIlking is done.

Happy Knitting
Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Burrrr! Time to knit mittens. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page