Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Help save American Mint Farm!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Help save American Mint Farm! Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  2:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The Organic Consumer Association has this in it's latest newsletter.
www.getmint.com

Dear Friends of Crosby Mint Farm...

We want to extend our deep appreciation to those of you who have expressed and offered to help us during this economic situation. Your emails of support and purchase of the "Save the Farm" dram will always hold a special place in our hearts. It is our desire, and our vision to go forward. And as we walk this journey with your support, we promise to extend a hand back to you. This farm has offered its blessing to many who have walked the lanes. Nature's intelligence and capabilities of healing are far beyond what we as humans can offer.

So, with that being true, the dream is to share our farm with those who appreciate nature, recognize the importance to preserve the earth and it's wildlife, and to offer a sustainable community agricultural environment. Please check back soon for the Pages of Heroes and to see the visual drawing now being being created by Craig Limpach of Genius Loci, inc.

Warmest of regards and with gratitude,

Linette Crosby and "Peppermint Jim"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(LANSING STATE JOURNAL), August 23, 2008

ST. JOHNS - The healing prowess of peppermint oil might do a little more than cure throbbing migraines and arthritis.

Linette Crosby, co-owner of the Crosby Mint Farm in St. Johns, said she hopes an upswing in sales over the next year can erase the debt that left the farm she and her brother own in the hands of an agricultural lending agency after a foreclosure auction Aug. 14. "We have enough inventory (to sell and pay off our debt)," said Crosby, 50, who co-owns the farm with her brother, "Peppermint" Jim. "We're not asking for handouts. We want to sell our products."

East Lansing-based Greenstone Farm Credit Services, the only bidder, purchased the 140-acre farm for $300,000 during the auction at the Clinton County Courthouse. Now, Linette Crosby and Jim Crosby have 12 months to eliminate their $635,000 debt. Linette Crosby said the time will be used to revamp the farm and its grass, a source of biofuel, with the aid of Craig Limpach, a biologist and landscape architect for Genius Loci Inc., an Elyria, Ohio-based land restoration company. Limpach already has drafted blueprints for the possible alterations, Linette Crosby said.

The history of the farm has deep local roots. In 1912, J.E. Crosby Sr. founded the farm on 2 acres, and it has become one of the oldest continuously operating mint farms in the country. By selling an array of goods besides peppermint and spearmint oil, the owners said they are widening their consumer base and diversifying. Jim Crosby said one of his main goals is to sell products that showcase mint's various medical and therapeutic properties. "I've been trying to help people be more sustainable through using our product," he said. With nearly 100 years of family history surrounding the farm, Crosby said a piece of him is sold with each bottle. "Every bottle we ship out has my hopes, dreams and prayers," he said. "This is not just a farm; this place has the ability to heal hearts and minds."

Scott Curtis, 55, of St. Johns, works at the farm. "I was aware of the farm and its economic difficulties. My intention is to help out and lend support," Curtis said. Curtis said the farm's rich tradition alone makes it indispensable to the ommunity.

With thousands of Michigan residents falling victim to foreclosure each year, Linette Crosby said she believes the farm can serve as the poster child that boosts awareness of the devastating crisis. "We're looking to put a light on the foreclosure issue," she said. "This is going to be our opportunity and not theirs."

Buying a dram of mint oil for $5 can help save the farm!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  7:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Alee - thanks for sharing this. I will definitely purchase some to help out.

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  8:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I hope it was a misprint in the OCA newsletter. It said the deadline is November 1, 2008. I hope the deadline is 2009 so they have the chance to save their farm!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  08:25:34 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, the website isn't working for me today. :(

~Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  10:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It takes a long time to load.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  10:53:12 AM  Show Profile
This article was a total shock to me...I LIVE in St. Johns, and had no idea that the Crosby Mint Farm had been forclosed upon. I'm literally shaking right now - I just can't belive it! I'm going to call Peppermint Jim and see what I can do to help.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  11:48:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Can you find out if the Save-The-Farm dead line is 2008 or 2009?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  12:31:42 PM  Show Profile
My son is serving a mission for our church in Lansing, MI. Please as you know, share more updated information. Thanks!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  1:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It looks like it isn't completely over yet. They are still trying to liquidate their inventory to save the farm! If you can, let's keep support high!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  1:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just got off the phone with Lynette herself. Right now the farm is in a precarious spot. The bank has the right to come in any time, but they are hopeful and continuing on with business as usual to try to productively clear the debt from the farm and get out from under the thumb of the bank.

She did mention that she feels bad that she hasn't been able to reply to all the emails. I really needed to stock up on my essential oil so I will be buying a dram or two today.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Help save American Mint Farm! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page