Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 these things do please me well ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic these things do please me well ... Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  10:33:43 AM  Show Profile
this topic has probably been covered in some form or other at some time or other .. but .. as i was "shaking out some rag rugs" this crisp 'on-the-cusp-of-winter' morning, from the front porch of my circa 1863 log cabin, nestled in my little kentucky valley .. it truly filled me with joy .. and i shouted to the forest how happy i was .. and thought i'd share the moment with you farmgirls .. and ask for you, too, to tell us of some special. simple, country, farmgirl act of 'ordinary occasion' that made your heart fill with joy, your eyes with happy tears, your throat with one of those 'cry clogs' that you know comes from the depths of happiness .. the simple, ordinary tasks or moments of our days that "do please us well" and remind us how great this thing called 'life' is!

i hope this topic continues as time marches on as i do hope we often are filled with these moments of joy.

true friends, frannie

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  12:40:20 PM  Show Profile
just had another 'hallelujah' moment .. i'm loading up all the pumpkins and gourds i had piled outside for autumn decorating .. had about a hundred of them! it was fun to load them in a little red wagon .. and walk to the edge of the hill .. and toss them in the compost heap .. (this was one of those glad times i am talking about .. just doing everyday, ordinary stuff .. that makes you happy) knowing that they will 'live on' by nourishing next spring's gardens.

i also harvested the last of all my herbs before the first BIG frost comes .. brought them inside and tied them in bundles to dry .. will use them to make both pot pourii and to toss a bundle into the fireplace from time to time to release a little summer aroma when toasting our tosies in front of a warm fire this winter. NOW .. i'm ready to walk in the woods and gather 'evergreenery' for the Christmas season! honey hunk is outside laying a river rock 'porch' .. i love working side by side!
Life is grande! xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  2:08:34 PM  Show Profile

Surely you must have saved just one of those lovely 100 or so pumpkins for Thanksgiving pumpkin pie.
Your compost pile will be an ocean of vines come next summer.
How fun.I just love to see what turns up in my compost from year to year.

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  6:47:35 PM  Show Profile
didn't save any to make pies out of .. but still have a little 'pile-ette' of them that i will 'chunk up' and dry for 'garlands'.

there is a farmer down this way that sold all of his pumpkins and gourds for .25 cent to one dollar .. even the HUGE Cinderella pumpkins were only a dollar. and he had a most wonderful variety too!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  08:33:32 AM  Show Profile
another glorious moment ... hank and i went to a historic olde mill that had been changed into a bed and breakfast ... thanksgving day was lovely 'light jacket' weather (TODAY .. however, you need a feather ticking to wrap around you it's so
c-o-l-d outside!) we were walking through the forest at Doe Run Inn .. it was totally quiet, the air was crisp, and only the sounds of crumbing leaves under our feet. we took turns 'guiding' each other through the woods for awhile (this is a fun 'trust' game that we play in our 'leadership green county' program. you are blindfolded, and walk among trees, stumps, hills and valleys .. you can't talk .. your 'partner' walks beside you (without touching you) as his or her voice gently guides you around trees and other obstacles in your path). that short walk was my 'hallelujah moment'. alone with nature and the soft sweet sound of my husband's voice.

haven't read of anyone else's 'things that do please you well' .. surely, you must all have some wonderful times to tell.

xo, frannie

p.s. i find these moments come mostly in the 'ordinary' events of life.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  4:56:36 PM  Show Profile
Tonight just walking out to put the chickens to bed for the night! The sun set after a full day of nonstop rain, the sky 90% cleared off and the little wispy clouds that are left were beautiful pink to salmon with the sky an awesome shade of blue.

eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  5:54:40 PM  Show Profile
ahhhhhhhh .. a glorious moment in time miz eileen! (it's the little things in life!)
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  07:52:04 AM  Show Profile
don't really qualify this as a 'nirvana' moment .. but it surely did 'please me well'. last evening, our sweet little country town (greensburg, kentucky) held their annual 'christmas celebration' parade. town was resplendent in starry-night twinkling lights .. our olde historic courthouse (oldest west of the applachian mountains!!!!!! in this here country of ours!) was wonderfully and historically decorated with simple wreaths and candles (probably didn't have those as actual court-house decorations many years ago .. but it was lovely!) we had about an hours worth of 'marchers and floats' .. both santa and jesus themes down here in this somewhat mid-southern state. the streets were lined with families .. mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grandparents and lots and lots of children! ahhhhhhh! i love these small american towns and villages .. it honestly reminds me of washington, d.c. during the 40's and 50's! i think that is one of the reasons i so very much love living here in kentucky! hundreds of kids walked across our dear 'foot bridge' that spans about a quarter of a mile and lined up to sit on santa's knee down at our olde historic train depot. honey hunk and i had a romantic dinner at our very sweet little town 'tea room' (Lucy Tucker's . .which is named after the great grandmother of the owner). Small towns are so blessed to have these little family run businesses .. it also means that these sweet shoppes will come and go .. as family situations change over time .. but that is o.k. .. they are part of the thread that weaves the 'tapestry' of life. In the short two years that i have lived here, i have watched several business 'flourish' and 'wane'. I enjoyed them while they were here .. made new friends, and they added to my life in a very important way .. even for the short time they were here (as is true of all of us too!)

oh lordy! i'm starting to 'wax poetic' here .. soooooo .. i think i'll get offa' this machine and go for a walk in the woods and cut more evergreen boughs and holly for more christmas decorating!

have a lovely weekend farmgirls! xo, frannie

p.s. make some magic moments!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic these things do please me well ... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page