Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 what special 'tourist attractions' ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic what special 'tourist attractions' ... Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  9:59:22 PM  Show Profile
are near your hometown?

in our 'county seat' .. and nearest town to cabin creek farm .. (greensburg, kentucky) .. we have the 'oldest courthouse west of the allegheny mountains' .. and it is oh so charming!

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  8:26:21 PM  Show Profile
We have Riverfront park. the home of Expo 74.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  8:29:54 PM  Show Profile
I live in the boonies..but it is only a couple hours to great skiing. Our little town has a beautiful temple on the hill too. You can see it for miles and miles..and at night it is spectacular.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Nov 15 2005 07:12:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  9:58:39 PM  Show Profile
Being on the coast it is the lighthouse that has a red beam every third rotation. It is unusal, but very pretty to see.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  4:24:43 PM  Show Profile
The ancient Redwoods, amazingly beautiful coast lines, old mining and lumber towns. People mostly come here to drive along the coast and camp in the redwoods.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  6:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Of course, Idaho has it all, nearly. Hells Canyon is about an hour away, Tamarack, the first new all season resort in this country in 20 years is about 2 hours away, the Sawtooth Recreation area is about and hour and a half away, and of course the Payette River, with its world class white water is just over the hill.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  1:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Our town is known as the Rose town of New Zealand. We have lakes, beaches, glowworm caves, black water rafting, bubbling mud pools, all within 10 minutes to 1 hour of here. But what makes our town is the people :)
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  3:42:08 PM  Show Profile
The Columbia River Gorge. About a 30 minute drive from Portland with some spectacular views, hiking trails and water falls.

Anne Portland, Or

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  3:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Idaho has it all, nearly.

ha! this reminds me of a fantastic Bumper Sticker i saw on a friend's car when visiting Moscow years ago:

Welcome to Idaho .. the Tick Fever State

love it! guess that will keep the state from getting over-populated!
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  08:05:57 AM  Show Profile
There doesn't seem to be enough bad publicity to stop the influx of people from other states into Idaho. Property values in or near Boise have skyrocketed. We were told about a month ago, not to ask less than $10,000 an acre for our ground, if we wanted to sell. Last week I saw the same kind of ground that we have, steep, rocky, sagebrush covered hills, listed at $20,000 to $29,000 an acre. Good old Uncle Charlie, who homesteaded our place, is probably turning in his grave, or maybe he will jump up and say "Halleluia". I used to work the phones for a small company, right after the Ruby Ridge mess in Northern Idaho. People from back east always would ask if I knew any white supremists, I would tell them they all moved to Montana.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Mistydawn
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Lisa
Ripley Ohio
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile
My town, Ripley, sits on the Ohio River and it is known to be the first stop of the 'Underground Railroad'. Before Civil War times alot of black slaves escaped and fled to Ohio and went to Rev. Rankin's home that sits up top the hill over looking Ripley. He hid them there until it was safe to move them to the next house. They moved from house to house with the families keeping them safe until they got to Canada where they were free. Including Rev. Rankin's house, which is a museum now, there are alot of old houses in Ohio that were a part of the Underground Railroad that have hidden rooms and staircases and such. Harriet Beecher Stowe based her book 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' on the Rankin's and Ripley. It's about the only thing my little town is known for but it's a cool thing.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  4:14:48 PM  Show Profile
The beautiful Olympic mountains, The HOH rain forest, Port Townsend , Staircase in the Olympics, I could go on for days. I am within shouting distance of about a million touristy things to do if you love the mountains and the ocean and the Hood canal and volcanos. Mount rainier, Mount saint Helens, Mount Baker.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2005 :  2:42:26 PM  Show Profile
Eileen - I've been to Mount Rainier (8 years ago) and it is truly an amazing place! (Gotta go back there and go to Olympic National Park, which I meant to visit, but couldn't get there!)

Where I live now is the probably the most touristy city in the world! But I live on the very outskirts of London, and about 10 mins drive from here is the birthplace of Charles Darwin! His former home is now a museum, and is shown as how it would have been in his time. It also has exhibitions of his scientific work on display.
There are also lots of nature reserves nearby where Darwin studied the natural world and which inspired his scientific theories!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic what special 'tourist attractions' ... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page