True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Mandy
Montana
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  07:09:15 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with growing Hazelnut Trees, particulary in the Rockies or Pacific Northwest?

M

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  08:47:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mandy, We had Hazel Nut trees and English Walnut trees. They are pretty easy to grow. Try to keep the underbrush away from the Hazel Nuts--the Walnut trees drop an oil that keeps most anything away. Coastal Oregon has huge Hazel Nut farms--maybe try to contact someone there. Yahoo or Google 'Oregon Hazelnuts or Filberts'. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  09:01:12 AM  Show Profile
oh, good question Mandy,
thanx for the info MB.
I to would love to grow some nut trees but still being somewhat new (1 1/4yr) to Washington, I still don't know what does well & what doesn't....
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  11:01:37 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 hazelnut (also known as filbert) trees that I planted 3 years ago. One is "Contorted" also known as "Harry Lauder's Walking Stick". The other is "Rosa" planted for pollination, but it has beautiful dark red leaves all season. They have done very well with the weather we have here (-30 sometimes) and come back beautifully every year (except for broken branches from heavy snowfall). They are still too young to bloom, but I'm patient. I don't really remember where I got them. It was either Miller Nurseries, One Green World or Jung's. Those are my favorite nurseries that I always buy from.

I really want to give walnuts a try, but they get sooo huge and I don't really have anywhere to plant them without them shading areas where I need full sun. I keep hoping somebody will come out with a dwarf walnut.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My basket Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com

Edited by - lisamarie508 on Oct 28 2008 11:02:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

carycamille
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Camille
Cathlamet Washington
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  8:10:45 PM  Show Profile
You have to have two trees in order to get any nuts. (Well, I don't get very many nuts because everytime I gather them up the birds and chipmunks empty the bucket out for me. Same goes for my cherry trees, when they get just right and you go out to pick them they are all gone!) But anyway 2 trees to pollinate each other.

Camille
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  09:09:37 AM  Show Profile
Yep, Camille, you are right you have to have 2 different(I believe) types of walnut trees to get a crop,
1 Black and 1 English. I have also heard that the English can revert back to Black walnuts...don't know if that is true....hummm I think it is "google" time...

Lisa, Thanx for the info on the 2 types of hazelnut aka filberts. Guess what kind of trees I'll be looking for this coming Spring! Again, time to go "google" about these trees as well.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  11:42:29 AM  Show Profile
We had English Walnuts and no Black walnut. They don't revert as you said but the black walnut is widely used in California as rootstock for the English Walnut so if the graft would die the root may live. Weird huh! Roses and many other plants are done the same way. Some just make better rootstock.
Many of the Hazelnut trees (Corylus) used for ornamentals don't bear fruit or only small fruit but the corylus maxima is also know as the Filbert and that is the tree you want for harvesting nuts. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  08:55:14 AM  Show Profile
Hazelnuts?
We do have 3, 20 foot tall bushes, my DH LOVES them....once thought of growing them for income, but, there is a blight that takes them over if not sprayed, so not an idea, anyhows,,,we have 3 bushes right now, and they are all different kinds, don't know what kinds, they were here when we bought the place, the one that is huge and beautiful, has, oh, about 2 gallons of nuts on it every year, the other 2 have none,
What is the deal?...Does anyone know?
Thanks,,,,,

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hazel Nut Trees Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page